• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Match 28 - Bangladesh v England

Who will win this match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Blaze 18

Banned
As an aside, does anyone feel Jonathan Trott was perhaps a touch too slow ? I am just playing devil's advocate by the way, I don't think he was.

Last edited:

Woodster

International Captain
Absolutely. I still maintain England are a quality side - this sort of thing can happen - but something doesn't quite seem right with the side. Personally speaking, I fully expect them to beat West Indies and advance to the next round. I very much hope Bangladesh don't go through, because it'll only mean an easy quarter-final for whoever tops the other group.
I agree that something isn't quite right despite the obvious below par performances. How we cope with Roach and Benn will be crucial, cannot say I'm massively confident on the basis you just don't know what you're going to get with this England ODI side. If we bowl as poorly as we have done at times against the likes of Gayle and Pollard, crikey, we could get through a number of balls that's for sure.

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
So far England have played very well against the top sides and absolutely **** against the bad sides.
That's basically what India does. In other words, they are pulling both a Pakistan (ie. unpredictable) and an India in this tournament. Hence, the losses to Ireland and Bangladesh. It all makes sense now.

Woodster

International Captain
As an aside, does anyone feel Jonathan Trott was perhaps a touch too slow ? I am just playing devil's advocate by the way, I don't think he was.
Think Trott could rotate it a touch better, and when he does use up a number of his deliveries it is important he goes on and bats the majority of the innings increasing his strike rate as he goes. Of course he's not always going to go on, today was one of those occasions.

I think providing the more fluent players around him come off, it's not essential he has a strike rate of 100. If the other batsmen are not finding the boundary as frequently as they'd like, then Trott's s/r is scrutinised that bit more. His role is to look after his wicket and allow others to bat around him, at the moment the others are not quite sticking to their side of the bargain.

Blaze 18

Banned
Umm no, SA lost to Bangaldesh in the 2007 WC so it's not certain at all.
I am aware of that, however, that means little to be honest. Bangladesh beat India in the 2007 World Cup, what happened this time ? Of course, there is always a possibility, but I just don't like their chances this time around. Rest assured South Africa will not be as generous with the wides and stuff. Bangladesh will have to play much better than they did today to even compete.

irottev

U19 Cricketer
I hope England don't get through because frankly thy don't deserve it. Wanna see Ireland or Bangladesh go through.

Woodster

International Captain
I hope England don't get through because frankly thy don't deserve it. Wanna see Ireland or Bangladesh go through.
Surely if they finish with more points than Ireland and Bangladesh they do deserve to go through despite underperforming in a large way so far in the tournament ?

Jacknife

International Captain
The thing that will inevitably be highlighted from this game is how poor England were, and rightly so, but Bangladesh also deserve plenty of credit after slipping to eight wickets down and seemingly out of the contest before turning the game on its head, fair play to Mahmudullah and Shafiul.

As for England, we cannot expect to lose to Ireland and Bangladesh and harbour genuine hopes of winning the World Cup (very optimistic at this stage), so it makes it more difficult to work out where England are at when they tie with India and beat SA.

Anderson's return to form was only very brief, I'm all for consistency in selection and a degree of loyalty to our reliable performers, but if there looks to be little in the pitch for the WI game, he has to sit it out.

The fact that we can still qualify for the quarter-finals after some of these performances is a major plus, unfortunately, going against us is the fact that we don't look like finding the necessary form soon enough to be a major player in this tournament.

Don't agree with the Prior switch, for Bopara to be effective he has to come in higher, which is possible should they shift Bell up to the opening slot. Tremlett should get a go against WI, and you never know, we may just sneak into the quarters.
Yes, it's very hard to predict what's going to happen in the next England game, my only hope is they look at the WI as the best team in the world and they may play well. I would hope this team has enough about them to bounce back, but who knows.
The decision the play Prior was madness imo, it either had to be Bell or Bopara and I personally thought Bell because there was always the chance, they could open with spin.
Like you said, on what the pitch is like, I'd play Tremlett, the one thing that he gives, is accuracy, as well as extra bounce and Anderson looks so out of rhythm, it's unreal.

Jacknife

International Captain
Surely if they finish with more points than Ireland and Bangladesh they do deserve to go through despite underperforming in a large way so far in the tournament ?
I don't think objectivity is one of his strong points, where England are concerned.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
mah we don't really deserve to go through. If we do were not doing anything in the knockouts so it might force us to actually take the real decisions if we go out.

Dhoni_fan

U19 Debutant
Not really. Even if they lose to both England and India, it'll come down to NRR. Their NRR is quite amazing at the moment, thanks to comprehensive wins against Bangladesh and Netherlands. Which means unless they lose by some ridiculous margin against England and India, they'll go through to the next round. See Howe_zat's post in the other thread.

Have read his post but what you are forgetting is firstly the West Indies have unfinished business against England after the epic loss in the last world cup.

Also West Indies have not exactly been winning against that many big teams, and with England ripe for the taking at a time when West Indies are finding some form, I think they would love to get a win against a team like England and would relish the chance to put them out the tournament.

Agreed however that Windies are almost certainly through.

Jacknife

International Captain
mah we don't really deserve to go through. If we do were not doing anything in the knockouts so it might force us to actually take the real decisions if we go out.
I don't know if we get through, we deserve to, nobody can say we've done it the easy way, beating SA and Ned, draw with India and obviously to get through we have to beat WI. We'd have basically won the harder games and lost the easy ones.

Dhoni_fan

U19 Debutant
I don't know if we get through, we deserve to, nobody can say we've done it the easy way, beating SA and Ned, draw with India and obviously to get through we have to beat WI. We'd have basically won the harder games and lost the easy ones.
game not games! A tie is not a win! :)