• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian Discussion (Final Squad Announced Post #82)

Spark

Global Moderator
It's not that dumb. The point PEWS raised is a good one - with two injury prone quicks, and one leaky one and only one backup, you're taking a bit of a risk when you already have two backup batsmen.

howardj

International Coach
That's a reasonable point.

However, with four serious games to go after tonight, I think the one back-up is sufficient.

Especially given the calibre of the replacement that's likely to be sent - Siddle.

Compare that to what Mussey adds to your middle order.

Spark

Global Moderator
Oh yeah that's true but I would massively object to Hopes being sent over, for example. Has international experience, is obviously in sublime form and can play a role with both bat and ball.

Debris

International 12th Man
That's a reasonable point.

However, with four serious games to go after tonight, I think the one back-up is sufficient.

Especially given the calibre of the replacement that's likely to be sent - Siddle.

Compare that to what Mussey adds to your middle order.
A left hand batsman for one thing. I still wonder if the selectors realised that they were picking all right hand batsmen when they chose the squad.

slip

Cricket Spectator
We are the best, no one can beat us, we have won the last 3 world cups

By the way, I don't think we will win this time :laugh:

Spark

Global Moderator
Here is an interesting one.

Say Hussey comes back. Assume he goes straight into the XI. Then who goes out? Surely it has to be White but something tells me his brother will get the boot.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Watson
Haddin
Ricky
Clarke
D Hussey
Ferguson/Smith
White
Johnson
Krejza
Lee
Tait/hastings

strenghts: watson, ricky/clarke i think will play well (as they will be infront of a crowd who aren't booing them haha) as long as not against indian spinners, good spin options in smith/krazy, brett lee looking good, ample bowling options with watto/dussey/clarke.

weakneses- cameron white batting poorly as of late. i dont think he should come in before number 6 or 7. He basically has two modes, chip and run, or smackths **** out of it. Smith can atleast work it around, and on flat decks of india he wont have to worry about his crap technique against the swinging ball.
If white bats at 7, with jonson atleast there willbe some good firepower there.

will be interesting to see if/how tait bowls. If he can be effective, that aus' bowling will be a handful. if not, or if mediocre genius' like hastings/bollinger have to play, then aus bowling looks a bit weaker.

last nights warm up match was not a good sign- another 'snatching defeat from the jaws of victory' moment. if they keep with that ****, they wont go past the quarter finals, and will most probably lose to mentally tougher teams like england/south africa.
exactly my point- the fact that aus are more likely to fold than saf, shows how poor they are .
Would just like to re-iterate how lolworthy I found this.

Spark

Global Moderator
Here is an interesting one.

Say Hussey comes back. Assume he goes straight into the XI. Then who goes out? Surely it has to be White but something tells me his brother will get the boot.
No longer a hypothetical.

Fantastic news. Just hope our pace attack holds together now though.

Spark

Global Moderator
Assume Hussey goes straight in. If he goes out for White (who surely is the weak link right now) then I reckon our team is very very strong. Ponting-Clarke-Hussey in form is such a good combo.

Spark

Global Moderator
Haha, the ironic thing? He's missed basically nothing. Two walkovers and a washout.

Makes the decision not to carry him even more confusing, but not too much harm done in the end.

robinjr

School Boy/Girl Captain
played Hilditch,Chaps etc this realy is a goodun.i for all money thought it's going to be Siddle.

Direct swap with dussey i guess as far as the xi goes.so happy..

Spark

Global Moderator
played Hilditch,Chaps etc this realy is a goodun.i for all money thought it's going to be Siddle.

Direct swap with dussey i guess as far as the xi goes.so happy..
Possibly. Huge, huge pressure on White to fire then since Dussey is in form and adds his part-time bowling to the mix.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Possibly. Huge, huge pressure on White to fire then since Dussey is in form and adds his part-time bowling to the mix.
Yeah, I commented earlier that White could be in dropping territory by the time the quarters rolled around if he didn't perform and Mike Hussey's introduction to the squad makes it even more true.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
I am shocked. I didn't believe the Australian selectors had the capability to display logic. Well done for doing the right thing and selecting Hussey. The inclusion of Nannes to the touring party is even more worthy of praise. We should have had 2-3 cricketers shadowing the squad anyway.

cricpk

U19 12th Man
Correct me If i'm wrong.

1. Only a bowler can replace a bowler.

2. Someone who was replaced because if injury can't be come back into the squad.

I think that is my understanding, but i might be wrong.