• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Match 15 - England v Ireland

Who will win this match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
:mellow: Forgive me if I sound bitter/rude but Bit OTT, one feels. Captains make excuses such as saying the pitch became flatter or the dew came in all the time. Don't see the reason for so much anger. He mentioned it in passing too, It's not like he said "The English batting is a joke and they could only hit 338 because the ball came on easier'. His statement was something like 'the ball was coming on slightly easier to the bat in the second Innings' while praising the English batting much much more. Fair 'nuff if you want to criticize that one statement in passing that much, I guess.
Did your team lose to Ireland? No. So you can STFU.. :p

Juz think he is letting off some steam, is GIMH...

Himannv

International Coach
:mellow: Forgive me if I sound bitter/rude but Bit OTT, one feels. Captains make excuses such as saying the pitch became flatter or the dew came in all the time. Don't see the reason for so much anger. He mentioned it in passing too, It's not like he said "The English batting is a joke and they could only hit 338 because the ball came on easier'. His statement was something like 'the ball was coming on slightly easier to the bat in the second Innings' while praising the English batting much much more. Fair 'nuff if you want to criticize that one statement in passing that much, I guess.
Let him be, his team suffered a pretty shocking loss. Venting a bit is expected.

Maximus0723

State Regular
Umm... Just woke up.

Tell me that what I think may have happened, actually happened.
I would suggest going back to sleep :laugh:

Lots of drops from English. Anderson, Colly, Yardy, Strauss, Prior. Some tough and some catachable. Poor bowling for everyone except Swanney.

But England will advance. Still think it will be England, SA, India and WI.

Woodster

International Captain
Big respect to Ireland, to concede 327 first up will have took a bit of wind out of their hopeful sails, then to lose skipper Porterfield first ball in the reply and keep dropping wickets till they were five down will have been very deflating. Then step forward Kevin O'Brien, it was his day, these things happen, and the way England have bowled and fielded in this tournament so far, it's no great shock it happened against us.

The batting looks in decent order, but the bowling needs a re-shuffle. Although not sure there's too many changes we can make that will make that big a difference. The option of using another spinner in Tredwell in place of Anderson, will Bopara's medium pacers be given a go, but more importantly how we can get Tremlett into the set-up ?

Ireland will rightly enjoy today, and hopefully they can push on and give a good account of themselves in the rest of the tournament, no point winning this then tailing off in the remaining games. They'll certainly gain a lot of belief from this win, and who knows with a bit of momentum where it may take them.

For England, we've still an excellent chance of qualifying for the quarter-finals, when the knock-out begins and who knows what may happen. You don't need to be a cricketing expert to acknowledge the fact that if England do not improve massively in the field and in their bowling strategies and the execution of those plans, then they'll be coming home sooner than they'd imagine.

Woodster

International Captain
I still think England will make it to the quarters. As I have said before, they are a quality side. These things happen (see India and Pakistan in 2007). I fully expect them to bounce back and beat (convincingly) West Indies and Bangladesh. Not sure about South Africa though.
I think it's good that we go into another big game at the weekend, however, would not choose South Africa as the ideal opponents after a defeat like this. Be a good test of our belief.

Jacknife

International Captain
I think it's good that we go into another big game at the weekend, however, would not choose South Africa as the ideal opponents after a defeat like this. Be a good test of our belief.
Like you say,it's good they've got a big game against SA at the weekend and England have had the better of them in Odi's of late, with there series win in SA and before that beating them in SA in the Champions trophy.Like I said before I think England will click in all 3 areas sooner than later and SA may be the game they up their performance. Hopefully the injuries to KP and Swanny are not serious because we need those 2.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Big respect to Ireland, to concede 327 first up will have took a bit of wind out of their hopeful sails, then to lose skipper Porterfield first ball in the reply and keep dropping wickets till they were five down will have been very deflating. Then step forward Kevin O'Brien, it was his day, these things happen, and the way England have bowled and fielded in this tournament so far, it's no great shock it happened against us.

The batting looks in decent order, but the bowling needs a re-shuffle. Although not sure there's too many changes we can make that will make that big a difference. The option of using another spinner in Tredwell in place of Anderson, will Bopara's medium pacers be given a go, but more importantly how we can get Tremlett into the set-up ?

Ireland will rightly enjoy today, and hopefully they can push on and give a good account of themselves in the rest of the tournament, no point winning this then tailing off in the remaining games. They'll certainly gain a lot of belief from this win, and who knows with a bit of momentum where it may take them.

For England, we've still an excellent chance of qualifying for the quarter-finals, when the knock-out begins and who knows what may happen. You don't need to be a cricketing expert to acknowledge the fact that if England do not improve massively in the field and in their bowling strategies and the execution of those plans, then they'll be coming home sooner than they'd imagine.
I'm not even convinced by the batting right now. Strauss Trott & Bell are going well enough, but KP's only producing cameos and there's naff all after the top 4. Given our start today, we should have passed 350 - you can be bloody sure that India, Aus or SA would have done so on that wicket against that attack after the 3rd wicket partnership - and then O'Brien could have done whatever he wanted and the result would still have been safe. Looking ahead, if SA make early inroads, I don't think we'll pass 150.

As for the bowling and catching, it's time to dig out the thesaurus to try and find alternatives to what's been trotted out over the previous pages. No lessons at all seem to have been learnt from the Holland game, and in the whole tournament there's only been Bresnan's spell against India and Swann today who've looked the part. Yet again, an England side in a WC looks as if it would really be anywhere else, which is just rank amateur. Complacency and apathy are never attractive characteristics in a national side, and this lot are getting exactly what they deserve.

irottev

U19 Cricketer
Wow England. What an utter embarrasment. 2 world cups in a row they've managed to make a fool out of themselves.

dfx-

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Ireland have to be looking at West Indies and Netherlands now..but long after the floodlights are dimmed on the WC final, O'Brien's 50 ball hundred and definitely one of the top chases will always be lurking there...reminding England of the game that they didn't defend 328 from 111/5. Against Ireland :p

Woodster

International Captain
I'm not even convinced by the batting right now. Strauss Trott & Bell are going well enough, but KP's only producing cameos and there's naff all after the top 4. Given our start today, we should have passed 350 - you can be bloody sure that India, Aus or SA would have done so on that wicket against that attack after the 3rd wicket partnership - and then O'Brien could have done whatever he wanted and the result would still have been safe. Looking ahead, if SA make early inroads, I don't think we'll pass 150.

As for the bowling and catching, it's time to dig out the thesaurus to try and find alternatives to what's been trotted out over the previous pages. No lessons at all seem to have been learnt from the Holland game, and in the whole tournament there's only been Bresnan's spell against India and Swann today who've looked the part. Yet again, an England side in a WC looks as if it would really be anywhere else, which is just rank amateur. Complacency and apathy are never attractive characteristics in a national side, and this lot are getting exactly what they deserve.
Tbf, would say all the top four are looking good, you're right in the form of others thereafter in the batting line-up, but it's diffcult to assess when they're coming in in the dying embers of an innings and are there to simply throw the bat. I certainly have more confidence in Bopara than I do of Yardy with the bat, and don't think we'd lose too much in the bowling department by replacing Yardy.

If Steyn, Tahir, Morkel and co do wreak some havoc early then we may struggle, however, I would suggest the same applies to SA though, if we can wangle their top five out pretty cheaply. But with our current bowling form that does seem rather unlikely.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Wow England. What an utter embarrasment. 2 world cups in a row they've managed to make a fool out of themselves.
Five, actually.

And tbh this WC has gone way further down the path of making fools of themselves than anything we've seen before. Previously, at least we saw off the associates before getting spanked by the full timers. Bearing in mind we could very easily have lost to Holland as well, this really is new territory even given England's hopelessness in WCs. Quite an achievment, one feels.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Don't want to make excuses but some of these players have been travelling and playing cricket non-stop since October/early November. It's quite conceivable that they might just have had enough.