• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia - the aftermath of the Ashes

TumTum

Banned
Really unnecessary. He's doing a great job opening and hasn't had any injury problems since coming back to the side.

Debris

International 12th Man
He is doing a good job in every respect except getting really big hundreds. Big hundreds is really what you want from your openers ideally. That is the main reasion why I think a move might be beneficial.

Spark

Global Moderator
It's the one position in our order that has been consistently working, though. I'd fix the broken stuff before starting on the not-broken.

howardj

International Coach
After much deliberation and rethinking, I've settled on my Test team for SL tour

Katich
Usman
Watson
Clarke
Ponting
Smith
Haddin
Hauritz
Harris
Siddle
Young Gun (Pattinson, Starc, Hazlewood etc)

I agree with Trevor Hohns in the paper today, that Usman should open and that Katich would be a good man for him to be inducted into this role with. Katich also adds some true grit, and his stodgy technique is likely to defy Father Time better than most.

Watson, a top order player, is the best man to bat at three.

Harris is our best Test bowler at present, so he comes back in.

While I really think some tough love needs to be meted out to Johnson and Hughes.

I also think the selectors need to move beyond Johnson, Hilf, Doug etc. and see what the next line of quicks has to offer.

And I can't have Ponting, Katich and Hussey all in the same team I'm afraid. Hussey, but for three Ashes Tests, has been dire for two years.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Drop the only middle-order batsman who did well in the Ashes, and include three guys who were totally clueless?

howardj

International Coach
It's very easy to make statements such as that in isolation. For the SL tour though, there are a number of factors that need to be weighed prominent among which is the need to start rebuilding. In my opinion, it's not tenable to still go on having three 35 year old players in the top six. It's not easy to drop one of them, but for the reasons I've explained, the man would be Hussey. Three good Ashes Tests does not a future make. It's not unusual to move on 36 year olds who are not legends.