• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which cricketer has the most complete record?

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Tendulkar has a average of over 35 in all countries ,barring Canada(where he misses by 0.25) in ODI's too.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Since I have often been led to believe on this site that WCs are the only thing that matter in ODIs, that shouldn't be a big deal. :cool:

bagapath

International Captain
Yep.
That Very good World cup boosts his average in SA.
Batting records | One-Day Internationals | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPN Cricinfo

if you keep minnows out of the equation he averages 29 in SA. again, not saying this is nobel worthy research. but just trying to make the criteria as difficult as possible and he does seem to have a problem in SA. but dont know if there is any batter who averaged 30+ in all countries against major teams in ODIs.

EDIT: Richards averaged 36+ in all countries

Last edited:

smash84

The Tiger King

if you keep minnows out of the equation he averages 29 in SA. again, not saying this is nobel worthy research. but just trying to make the criteria as difficult as possible and he does seem to have a problem in SA. but dont know if there is any batter who averaged 30+ in all countries against major teams in ODIs.
Viv averages 30+ against all major teams in all countries. He only played one innings against zimbabwe and has an average of 16 against them. That is quite a complete record.

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/player/52812.html?class=2;template=results;type=batting

Last edited:

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member

EDIT: Richards averaged 36+ in all countries
Zimbabwe were no minnows in ODI cricket and Kenya reached the Semi -Finals of the world cup we are talking about.

And will be interesting to see how this applies to Viv at the time. Do we remove India as they were Minnows in the Initial period when he played?

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Viv averages 30+ against all major teams in all countries. He only played one innings against zimbabwe and has an average of 16 against them. That is quite a complete record.

He has 0 Centuries though in his home country and in Pakistan .

And removing the so called "minnows" of the time ,his average drops to 32.84 in West Indies.

Last edited:

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, don't subscribe to the minnows thing in ODI cricket at all, unless it's someone as hopeless as Namibia, Bermuda etc.

TumTum

Banned
Yeah, don't subscribe to the minnows thing in ODI cricket at all, unless it's someone as hopeless as Namibia, Bermuda etc.
Good point, in ODI cricket it is more about scoring rather than not losing your wicket.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Think Sach had a 150+ red ink against Namibia in RSA.. So guess that would bring down his avg there...

I do think Viv has the most complete record, in terms of batting average, in ODIs.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Think Sach had a 150+ red ink against Namibia in RSA.. So guess that would bring down his avg there...

I do think Viv has the most complete record, in terms of batting average, in ODIs.
VIV does not have a 100 in his home country. His highest score in the windies itself is 82.

And Sachin's average is still just a fraction short of 35 in SA even removing no hopers minnows.

While when we Remove Minnows from VIV's record ,his average in West indies goes down to 32.84.

Though the whole classification of minnows in both era's is a bit dodgy.

bagapath

International Captain
i am very very conflicted about choosing between sachin and viv as the best ODI bat of all time. cant decide to save my life. but i think viv had a more complete record of the two in the spirit of this thread.

combining ODIs and tests, I think, sachin, hadlee, richards, mcgrath, murali, gilchrist, ponting, kallis, warne, g.chappell, miandad, imran, akram and s.waugh will compete for the top 10. you cant be sure who would make it though. kallis should probably get the top spot.

Last edited: