• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which cricketer has the most complete record?

bagapath

International Captain
I meant overall average you pedant.
Did you????

WRT to Ponting: he averages in the mid-50s (IIRC) against all other test teams away from home so he doesn't have a problem playing away. More specifically, he averages in the 60s against sub-continental teams away from home.
anyways, if you want to change it to "overall", i will let it pass because he does have a 47+ avg against every team both home and away. only while playing away he struggles a lot in india and suffers significantly in england. .

saw your picture in the "how do you look like" thread in off topic. with those biceps you can wallop me if I pick on you for too long with these kind of "catches".

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Did you????

anyways, if you want to change it to "overall", i will let it pass because he does have a 47+ avg against every team both home and away. only while playing away he struggles a lot in india and suffers significantly in england. .

saw your picture in the "how do you look like" thread in off topic. with those biceps you can wallop me if I pick on you for too long with these kind of "catches".
Can understand the different interpretations but I thought he was referring pretty much to Ponting's away record, against every team except India.

Averages 55. Batting records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPN Cricinfo

Remains the same with neutral venues added.

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/en...orderby=default;template=results;type=batting

Not taking up his argument - think that Tendulkar has a more "rounded" / "complete" record, just trying to help the discussion by keeping people on the same page.

Blaze 18

Banned
Nah, he played the Champions Trophy in 2009 which was in South Africa. Threw away a start against Pakistan (the first I saw of Virat Kohli) and then scored an unbeaten fifty (?) against West Indies.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Oh yeah I was away for a lot of that tournament, never watched India's games.

Even better than I thought, WAG :cool:

bagapath

International Captain
Can understand the different interpretations but I thought he was referring pretty much to Ponting's away record, against every team except India.

Averages 55. Batting records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPN Cricinfo

Remains the same with neutral venues added.

Batting records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPN Cricinfo

Not taking up his argument - think that Tendulkar has a more "rounded" / "complete" record, just trying to help the discussion by keeping people on the same page.
I guess that is what ikki meant. i interpreted it differently. probably because i automatically assumed he wouldnt have included the minnows and hence didnt expect it to be that high. thanks vic_orthdox.

Last edited:

Steyn.DaleSteyn

Cricket Spectator
Most complete Test Batsmen ever: Don Bradman
Most complete ODI Batsmen ever: Viv Richards

Most complete Test Bowler ever: Dale Steyn
Most complete ODI Bowler ever: Joel Garner

Most complete Test all rounder ever: Jacques :king:Kallis ( then daylight, then moonlight, then Sobers )
Most complete ODI all rounder ever: Chris Gayle

Most complete Test wicket keeper ever: Kumar Sangakkara
Most complete ODI wicket keeper ever: Adam Gilchrist

**Stats don't tell the whole story, it tell's the ONLY story**

miscer

U19 Cricketer
Most complete Test Batsmen ever: Don Bradman
Most complete ODI Batsmen ever: Viv Richards

Most complete Test Bowler ever: Dale Steyn
Most complete ODI Bowler ever: Joel Garner

Most complete Test all rounder ever: Jacques :king:Kallis ( then daylight, then moonlight, then Sobers )
Most complete ODI all rounder ever: Chris Gayle

Most complete Test wicket keeper ever: Kumar Sangakkara
Most complete ODI wicket keeper ever: Adam Gilchrist

**Stats don't tell the whole story, it tell's the ONLY story**
malcolm marshall > dale steyn

for odi batsman you can disagree but imo tendulkar>richards esp considering he averages 34+ against every major test playing nation in ODI's richards is 30+. Also tendulkar started at 16

and i didn't look it up but i thought sanfakkara's record as a keeper is pretty bad and in that case gilchrist>sangakkara?

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Steyn's got a rubbish record both against England and in England. No way he's the most complete Test bowler in history.

Hit Wicket

School Boy/Girl Captain
In addition to the names mentioned, Gavaskar? Minimum average against a team - England - 38.2, minimum average in a country (3 tests), SL - 37.2?

bagapath

International Captain
In addition to the names mentioned, Gavaskar? Minimum average against a team - England - 38.2, minimum average in a country (3 tests), SL - 37.2?
but no centuries in sri lanka. so i guess that leaves a gap in his resume. similar to chappell not having a home century against nz.

Hit Wicket

School Boy/Girl Captain
BTW, just reading across this thread does this guy, Ikki, even understands what's being implied with, 'The cricketer with the most complete record' to divert this thread into inanities about Ponting - who is no doubt a great batsman, but can never compensate for the prod, oops it bounced, touched the glove and pad, to be pouched innings he played in India for the majority of his career.

Looks like a troll job to me, trying to make it into a Ponting >>> * argument instead of understanding the context of the thread.

smash84

The Tiger King
BTW, just reading across this thread does this guy, Ikki, even understands what's being implied with, 'The cricketer with the most complete record' to divert this thread into inanities about Ponting - who is no doubt a great batsman, but can never compensate for the prod, oops it bounced, touched the glove and pad, to be pouched innings he played in India for the majority of his career.

Looks like a troll job to me, trying to make it into a Ponting >>> * argument instead of understanding the context of the thread.
:laugh:

Come on Hit Wicket. Ikki is one of the best debaters on this forum and while I don't necessarily agree with him most of the time he does know how to present his case well. At least give the guy that much. :)

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

Less of the trolling accusations please, Hit Wicket. If there's an issue with someone's posting, report it and let the mods deal with it.