• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in Australia (2 T20 & 7 ODIs)

King Pietersen

International Captain
You seem to have forgotten batting is about scoring runs.
And that Ian Bell is much more Mark Waugh than some "robotic bloke who averages 10 more per innings than him grind out what I think is dire, boring ****." Bell is one of the best players in the world to watch. He scores at a decent click, has shots all round the ground, is ridiculously stylish and superb to watch against the spinners. So he looks good at the crease, scores quickly, and has been scoring runs against good bowling, can't see a gripe at all. I swear Burgey still sees the 2005-8 Ian Bell when he's at the crease, and purposely blocks out the actual player in front of him.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Why do I think that? Through what I've seen of him. See the problem with your line of analysis of cricket (to me) is that if a bloke scores 0.34 runs more than the next, you think he's a better player. Hence that odious thing you wrote about a batsman's job is output or whatever it was that some misguided soul has even sigged. Well, I don't look at the game like that, because I'd rather walk to Perth to watch, for example, Mark Waugh hit one cover drive, than sit in my loungeroom and watch some robotic bloke who averages 10 more per innings than him grind out what I think is dire, boring ****. So of course it's subjective, but I'm afraid I don't regard him as a good player. You and others do, that's fine.
Haha, someone using this line of argument against Bell. Now I've seen everything.

It's all in good spirits of course, I never go in there but I'm sure you guys get on like a house on fire over at the Aussie politics thread :ph34r:.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Haha, someone using this line of argument against Bell. Now I've seen everything.

It's all in good spirits of course, I never go in there but I'm sure you guys get on like a house on fire over at the Aussie politics thread :ph34r:.
Haha, I don't tend to post much about politics on CricketWeb.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Right, so, with the T20s done and dusted, let's have a look at England's ODI squad. 16 names are in there:

Strauss, Davies, Trott, Bell, Pietersen, Collingwood, Morgan, Wright, Bresnan, Yardy, Swann, Tredwell, Shahzad, Woakes, Finn, Tremlett.

Easiest thing to do is think which five names are best left out. Firstly, Wright - **** him. Next, Tredwell - a decent bowler no doubt but doesn't offer anything over Swanny.

Pacemen will all be rotated anyway, so it hardly matters, but I'd like to see us try and give Trem a go first up, presumably at the expense of Woakes and Finn.

Last spot is a single point between Bell and Trott. Trott is a safe pair of hands but I'd like to see Trott come in reserve for anyone having problems. It's possible that would be Colly, but I'll stick with him for now.

Strauss
Davies
Bell
KP
Morgan
Colly
Yardy
Bresnan
Swann
Shahzad
Tremlett

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Right, so, with the T20s done and dusted, let's have a look at England's ODI squad. 16 names are in there:

Strauss, Davies, Trott, Bell, Pietersen, Collingwood, Morgan, Wright, Bresnan, Yardy, Swann, Tredwell, Shahzad, Woakes, Finn, Tremlett.

Easiest thing to do is think which five names are best left out. Firstly, Wright - **** him. Next, Tredwell - a decent bowler no doubt but doesn't offer anything over Swanny.

Pacemen will all be rotated anyway, so it hardly matters, but I'd like to see us try and give Trem a go first up, presumably at the expense of Woakes and Finn.

Last spot is a single point between Bell and Trott. Trott is a safe pair of hands but I'd like to see Trott come in reserve for anyone having problems. It's possible that would be Colly, but I'll stick with him for now.

Strauss
Davies
Bell
KP
Morgan
Colly
Yardy
Bresnan
Swann
Shahzad
Tremlett
Can't disagree with much of this; keep Finn well away from the side FFS.

When Anderson returns, Shazhad goes unless he's outperformed Tremmers.

Burgey

Can't disagree with much of this; keep Finn well away from the side FFS.

When Anderson returns, Shazhad goes unless he's outperformed Tremmers.
If Broad is fit for the WC, who would he come in for in that line up, Bresnan?

Just watching highlights from last night. How good was that six from Woakes in the last over? Massive.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
As things stand, you'd expect neither Shazhad nor Tremlett to make the first choice XI, with Broad and Anderson replacing them.

Howe_zat

Audio File
If Broad is fit for the WC, who would he come in for in that line up, Bresnan?

Just watching highlights from last night. How good was that six from Woakes in the last over? Massive.
Woakes can bat by anyone's standards. Knighty said he's Warks' best young bat since Ian Bell, but then, a lot of what Knighty says should be taken with a pinch* of salt.

As for Broad/Bresnan, I don't really know to be honest. Bresnan seems ahead of both Shahzad and Trem in the pecking order, he was probably England's best pace bowler in the T20s. I'd have no major issue with an attack of Broad, Anderson and Bresnan, but Shahzad's got some variety there. Trem's the wildcard. They'll all go, so this series could answer a few questions.

*make that a supertanker

Burgey

Am just thinking maybe Bresnan's trajectory might work better in the WC. Maybe a but harderto get under. Mind you I've seen a lot more of him this tour than Shazad, who seems no mug by any stretch.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Am just thinking maybe Bresnan's trajectory might work better in the WC. Maybe a but harderto get under. Mind you I've seen a lot more of him this tour than Shazad, who seems no mug by any stretch.
Well said.

I should think there'll be one place between them, and while Shaz is pretty exciting he's also very raw, and Bresnan offers much more control. So he's ahead now, but like I said both Shahzad and Tremlett have the chance to impress here.

FBU

International Debutant
Strauss, Davies, Bell, Trott, Pietersen, Morgan, Yardy, Woakes, Bresnan, Swann, Tremlett

Spark

Global Moderator
Odd that Smith didn't get a single bowl in either game, tbh. Maybe White doesn't rate his bowling?
Did notice that, my major criticism of White's captaincy ATS. He's a decent T20 bowler, especially if you need a wicket or two.

And that Ian Bell is much more Mark Waugh than some "robotic bloke who averages 10 more per innings than him grind out what I think is dire, boring ****." Bell is one of the best players in the world to watch. He scores at a decent click, has shots all round the ground, is ridiculously stylish and superb to watch against the spinners. So he looks good at the crease, scores quickly, and has been scoring runs against good bowling, can't see a gripe at all. I swear Burgey still sees the 2005-8 Ian Bell when he's at the crease, and purposely blocks out the actual player in front of him.
As strange as this sounds I'd disagree slightly with this. He's stylish, but too "textbook" for mine - everything is done too much to the book for me to really enjoy watching him bat. He seems to "walk" to the spinners instead of "dance" which I don't really like as well.

Still a good player to watch but not that good. I'd actually prefer to watch Broad bat.

Last edited:

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
Once White settles into his role as captain I imagine more overs will be bowled by Smith. White turning to Hussey over Smith is more a case of familiarity. The Victorian gameplan for years has been to rely on quick overs from Hussey. White sticking with what he knows best.