• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in Australia (2 T20 & 7 ODIs)

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This is such terrible circular logic. You get told Bell is a good batsman and disgaree because he's supposedly only scored runs against poor attacks, then when you get shown that's not even true you backtrack and suggest that scoring runs against good attacks isn't everything anyway. Is it possible for you to actually keep one line of argument going for more than one post, or do you just treat everything as one big pissing contest and counter every remark in isolation, come what may any contradiction?

No-one said Bell had achieved greatness or that someone should be building him a statue. He's not a great of his time and he's not world class but what he is, is good. Contrary to popular belief, they still play international cricket when Australia aren't playing, and it even still counts if Australia aren't playing particularly well. :-O

Bell's been tremendous since his Test recall and he's in top form. I'm sure you'll reply with some 8-)worthy remark about his face or how he performed 6 years ago, but whether you like it or not, Bell is now a good batsman.
See your signature?

I'll lump it. Woe betide the person who expresses the view that a player you rate isn't as god as you make out. Wasn't aware this is a debating society mate. Feel free to set out the rules for me in some convoluted, mega-paragraphed way. I'll lump that too.

I don't think he's that good a player. Plays a really, really smooth looking cover drive, but I don't give a flying ****. I don't think he's that good.

That's my opinion. And you can like it or lump it.

Edit: lol Kallisball, lol testmatchsofa. Tee ****ing hee.

Last edited:

morgieb

I was fully scared when Lee bowled the last over - thought he was gonna choke. Thank **** he didn't!

King Pietersen

International Captain
I'll lump it thanks.

Played Australia. Finch's innings the difference, only player to find any timing after the first 10 overs. 2 decent games of T20 cricket, looking forward to the ODi's!

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Bloody hell, fair play, another snorter it seems. I imagine the Aussies will get an open-bus parade to celebrate drawing the T20 series with the World Champs.

Nah, kidding, good stuff. Looking forwards to the ODIs tbh, though I wish Broad was there. Can't wait for Anderson to return.

Last edited:

James

Cricket Web Owner
Another great match, really enjoyed that.

I'm quite surprised England didn't play another batsman in this game and got overs out of Wright and Collingwood. Does Wright still bowl in domestic T20?

Should be a great one-day series coming up.

Daryl Harper

School Boy/Girl Captain
Bloody hell, fair play, another snorter it seems. I imagine the Aussies will get an open-bus parade to celebrate drawing the T20 series with the World Champs..
Bit rich considering it's only England mocked for doing things like that.

Collingwood to be knighted for drawing the series more likely.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Good game, would have been hilarious if we had somehow won at the end but Australia deserved it.

We are definetly a batsman short, especially with Collingwood in such horrible form, It is really important that he gets some runs in the 50 over stuff.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
See your signature?

I'll lump it. Woe betide the person who expresses the view that a player you rate isn't as god as you make out. Wasn't aware this is a debating society mate. Feel free to set out the rules for me in some convoluted, mega-paragraphed way. I'll lump that too.

I don't think he's that good a player. Plays a really, really smooth looking cover drive, but I don't give a flying ****. I don't think he's that good.

That's my opinion. And you can like it or lump it.

Edit: lol Kallisball, lol testmatchsofa. Tee ****ing hee.
Funnily enough, I don't even think Bell is that good. I think he's a good batsman worthy of his place in Test cricket but he's not getting anywhere close to my World XI. I just eventually got sick and tired of reading post after post from you claiming he was the second coming of Ronnie Irani in the face of obvious evidence, just because he didn't score any runs the last time you bothered to watch England play in 1854. Your circular logic surrounding the ability to score runs against good attacks was a real highlight though - it was everything to you until you realised Bell had done it.

Burgey

Bloody hell, fair play, another snorter it seems. I imagine the Aussies will get an open-bus parade to celebrate drawing the T20 series with the World Champs.

Nah, kidding, good stuff. Looking forwards to the ODIs tbh, though I wish Broad was there. Can't wait for Anderson to return.
Yes, good to square the important stuff despite losing that meaningless five day series earlier.

Spark

Global Moderator
Good choice for MOTM in Finch, 50* off 31 is a bloody fine effort in the late overs in the circumstances

Burgey

Funnily enough, I don't even think Bell is that good. I think he's a good batsman worthy of his place in Test cricket but he's not getting anywhere close to my World XI. I just eventually got sick and tired of reading post after post from you claiming he was the second coming of Ronnie Irani in the face of obvious evidence, just because he didn't score any runs the last time you bothered to watch England play in 1854. Your circular logic surrounding the ability to score runs against good attacks was a real highlight though - it was everything to you until you realised Bell had done it.
You're much mistaken if you think it was everything to me mate. Fact is I don't think he's very good. I hope he changes my mind for me, not that it matters to anyone else.

Why do I think that? Through what I've seen of him. See the problem with your line of analysis of cricket (to me) is that if a bloke scores 0.34 runs more than the next, you think he's a better player. Hence that odious thing you wrote about a batsman's job is output or whatever it was that some misguided soul has even sigged. Well, I don't look at the game like that, because I'd rather walk to Perth to watch, for example, Mark Waugh hit one cover drive, than sit in my loungeroom and watch some robotic bloke who averages 10 more per innings than him grind out what I think is dire, boring ****. So of course it's subjective, but I'm afraid I don't regard him as a good player. You and others do, that's fine.

So I suppose what I'm trying to say is that it ill-behoves you, of all posters here now Richard isn't about, to bag anyone about stridently held views, when you consistently make pronouncements which are no morethan your opinions, as though they are inalienable facts. Because guess what mate? They aren't. If I have to put up with you saying Kallis is a better player than Ponting (to use an example, i dont know if you actually hold that view because I cbf reading every post you make on these things, as i expect you don't mine) because he now averages X runs more per dig when he could only dream of hitting the heights Ponting did as a player, then you can put up with me deriding Ian ****ing Bell.

Last edited:

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Great game, really good to watch. Nice to see that they hadn't brought the boundary ropes half the way in as they seem to love doing for these things. Love a ground where you actually have to make an effort to hit a six rather than English grounds where all it takes is a top edge off a particularly rigorous forward defensive.

hazsa19

International Regular
If I HAD to choose, I would actually take Kallis over Ponting. Both of them and Tendulker would make the great middle order of this generation.

Burgey

If I HAD to choose, I would actually take Kallis over Ponting. Both of them and Tendulker would make the great middle order of this generation.
Lol.. Well that's fine mate. And I don't want to turn it into that in this thread. Guess when we've been here a while we get on each other's nerves is all. I don't think I've had a cross word with Cribb before tonight*

*Long overdue tbf.

Last edited:

hazsa19

International Regular
Great game, really good to watch. Nice to see that they hadn't brought the boundary ropes half the way in as they seem to love doing for these things. Love a ground where you actually have to make an effort to hit a six rather than English grounds where all it takes is a top edge off a particularly rigorous forward defensive.
yeh, then again I would prefer to be sitting within a mile of the players

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
You're much mistaken if you think it was everything to me mate. Fact is I don't think he's very good. I hope he changes my mind for me, not that it matters to anyone else.

Why do I think that? Through what I've seen of him. See the problem with your line of analysis of cricket (to me) is that if a bloke scores 0.34 runs more than the next, you think he's a better player. Hence that odious thing you wrote about a batsman's job is output or whatever it was that some misguided soul has even sigged. Well, I don't look at the game like that, because I'd rather walk to Perth to watch, for example, Mark Waugh hit one cover drive, than sit in my loungeroom and watch some robotic bloke who averages 10 more per innings than him grind out what I think is dire, boring ****. So of course it's subjective, but I'm afraid I don't regard him as a good player. You and others do, that's fine.

So I suppose what I'm trying to say is that it ill-behoves you, of all posters here now Richard isn't about, to bag anyone about stridently held views, when you consistently make pronouncements which are no morethan your opinions, as though they are inalienable facts. Because guess what mate? They aren't. If I have to put up with you saying Kallis is a better player than Ponting (to use an example, i dont know if you actually hold that view because I cbf reading every post you make on these things, as i expect you don't mine) because he now averages X runs more per dig when he could only dream of hitting the heights Ponting did as a player, then you can put up with me deriding Ian ****ing Bell.
I've never pretended that my opinions are any more than that, but if someone posts something over and over again that I think is bull****, I'll let them know I think it's bull**** and why. That's why we have the quote button - having conflicting opinions and discussions about them is part of the forum. Sometimes the discussions get aggressive as two strong opinions clash, but as long as it doesn't get too personal it's still all good. It doesn't mean I want to start an online war across as many threads as possible; it just means I think they're talking **** right at the time, which we all do from time to time.

When I made about 1000 posts in a tour thread about how **** I thought Martin Guptill was as a long-form cricketer, people who disagreed rightly called me out on it and expressed their disdain. I just copped it, because that's what happens on forums. I still think Martin Guptill is dire when he's not wearing coloured clothing and I'll continue to say so, but I fully expect to have my opinion rubbished by those unfortunate souls who disagree.

This would be a boring place if we weren't allowed to tell people they were talking out of their arse about certain topics when we thought they were. Unfortunately, some people take it way too personally and see any aggressive criticism/disagreement of one's opinion as a vicious personal attack that needs to be feuded over for the next six months over as many threads as possible, which is growing increasingly annoying here. Thinking someone is ****ing dickhead in one thread and a ****ing champ in another, then joking with them about it in a third is what CW should be about - unfortunately it's descending into a parochial mess with ongoing feuds and sly nasty digs all about the place.

Last edited: