• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How would you rank the bowling attacks in world cricket as of today ?

Teja.

Global Moderator
Always thought Sohail Tanvir was going to turn out to be a very good test match bowler tbh.

nah SA has a superior attack.

2 drawn series away to Ind.
This Eng attack has to produce in Asia.
Oh and there is a small matter of a test series vs ind in about 6 months time.
Me get's a feeling Cook Trott Swann and Jimmy are going to struggle.
rsa only have steyn.Morky is not proven outside home,lopsy and harris are crap.Eng has better attack that proved itself in hard conditions in ashes.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
New rankings?

1. England
2. South Africa
3. Australia
4. West Indies
5. New Zealand
6. Pakistan
7. India
8. Sri Lanka
9. Zimbabwe
10. Bangladesh

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I've got into trouble expressing my opinion of bowling attacks on here by people completely misinterpreting my position, but it's probably my fault for not making it completely clear, so I'm going to post two completely different lists in this post.

Here's how I think the bowling attacks of each country have performed over the last 2-3 years:

1. South Africa
2. England
3. Australia
4. Pakistan
5. India
6. Sri Lanka
7. New Zealand
8. West Indies
9. Bangladesh

And now for the more interesting part of my post, I'm going to rate the current attacks in terms of quality, moving forward over the next year or two, predictively. I'm ignoring team results and looking at player quality within attacks - I've also taken players with fitness problems into account. I'm not even going to use team names because it'll give the impression that I actually care about past team results in this analysis.

1. Anderson, Broad, Tremlett and Swann
2. Steyn, Morkel, Tsotsobe, Kallis and Harris/Botha/Tahir
3. Bollinger/Harris, Siddle, Johnson, Watson and Beer/Harris/Hilfenhaus/Smith
4. Zaheer/Sharma, Sreesanth, Harbhajan, Ohja/Sharma/Unadkat and Sehwag
5. Gul, Tanvir, Wahab, Rehman, Younis and Hafeez
6. Any two of: Malinga/Lakmal/Fernando/Kulasekara/Prasad, plus one of Herath/Mendis, plus another one of any mentioned, plus Mathews and Dilshan
7. Roach, Taylor/Edwards/Russell/Pascal, Sammy, Bravo, Benn and Gayle
8. Martin, Southee, Arnel, Vettori and Williamson
9. Mashrafe/Shahadat/Rubel, Shafiul, Shahadat/Rubel/Razzak, Shakib and Mahmudullah

So basically I've swapped England and South Africa because they've brought in Tremlett; I've swapped India and Pakistan because Pakistan have lost an entire bowling attack, and I've swapped West Indies and New Zealand because I think West Indies bowlers have improved a bit and I rate Russell potentially. New Zealand have also lost O'Brien in that time.
Made this post a year ago; plenty disagreed with it. I'm pretty happy with it still. Malinga retiring and Kula never being selected makes things different for Sri Lanka though but aside from sliding them down to 8 I don't think I'd change that much.

Spark

Global Moderator
Hmm... what is Australia's best attack atm, given all fit?

Think WI should get a bump up, Rampaul's been a real surprise this last year.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Hmm... what is Australia's best attack atm, given all fit?

Think WI should get a bump up, Rampaul's been a real surprise this last year.
Pattinson, Harris, Siddle, Lyon and Watson.

Harris will never actually be properly fit though which makes it a bit irrelevant; I don't really have a problem with Hilfenhaus playing ahead of him based on that now, or even Cummins. I'd have Bollinger right in the mix as well but that's just not going to happen so I give up basically; might as well re-start my Chris Rogers bandwagon.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Yeah, despite everything, would still have India at 4, provided we have Zaheer and Praveen fit in the future.

Massive, massive gulf between 3 and 4 though.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Pakistan may be ahead of India's attack at present, not much in it. NZ and WI are slightly better than they were with potential to improve. Australia have improved but they have many young bowlers who may not go on.

For me it is..

England
SA
England A :ph34r:
Australia

Daylight

Pakistan/India
NZ/WI
Sri Lanka
Bangladesh

Difficult to rate Zimbabwe yet as they have only played a few matches and all at home. Could be a bit of a surprise package though.

Spark

Global Moderator

Harris will never actually be properly fit though which makes it a bit irrelevant; I don't really have a problem with Hilfenhaus playing ahead of him based on that now, or even Cummins. I'd have Bollinger right in the mix as well but that's just not going to happen so I give up basically; might as well re-start my Chris Rogers bandwagon.
So basically through pure chance and horrible "luck" we've ended up playing our best attack (sans Watson) for this series anyway (first two Tests anyway)

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Zimbabwe v Sri Lanka would be genuinely interesting. Jarvis is definitely better than all Sri Lanka's quicks now IMO and Price isn't that far off Herath.

Ruckus

International Captain
I think I agree, but I'm not really sure now given Hilf's impressive comeback. Would be tempted to think at this stage Pattinson, Harris, Hilf and Lyon could be our best combination. Pattinson, Harris and Siddle are all a tad too similar for my liking. Then of course, there is Cummins, but it's hard to gauge just how good he is/how ready he is after one match. Definately a very good problem to have though.