• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How would you rank the bowling attacks in world cricket as of today ?

kingjulian

U19 12th Man
I think Sri Lanka has the best spin bowling reserves. So i'm pretty sure they will cope just fine without Murali.

In the last 10 years they have also produced a good number of fast bowlers too.

So i do feel a bit awkward when i see everyone writing them off.

Migara

International Coach
Let's hope so.

But the fast men are fraglie like Zoysa. Vaas was a fitness geek. The current fast bowlers are not as fit as Vaas. SL don't have super performers in the fast bowling ranks, most are depending on rythm and form to excel. Each one needs un interrupted sequence of matches to build up rythm and form, which is not happening at the moment. The example is Thilan Thushara. He had few injuries and now reduced to a 125k-130k trundler, with no bounce at all, losing his rythm. When on song he bowls 140-145k, with steep bounce and bal rushing on the batsmen. It's disappointing as hell when you see your good fast bowlers break down one after another. And SL's depth of fast bowlers are much less than that of Pakistan or Australia, and if four to five top guys get injured, we are left with next to nothing.

smash84

The Tiger King
Let's hope so.

But the fast men are fraglie like Zoysa. Vaas was a fitness geek. The current fast bowlers are not as fit as Vaas. SL don't have super performers in the fast bowling ranks, most are depending on rythm and form to excel. Each one needs un interrupted sequence of matches to build up rythm and form, which is not happening at the moment. The example is Thilan Thushara. He had few injuries and now reduced to a 125k-130k trundler, with no bounce at all, losing his rythm. When on song he bowls 140-145k, with steep bounce and bal rushing on the batsmen. It's disappointing as hell when you see your good fast bowlers break down one after another. And SL's depth of fast bowlers are much less than that of Pakistan or Australia, and if four to five top guys get injured, we are left with next to nothing.
yeah but Pakistan and Australia's fast bowling reserves don't have too much quality

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
yeah but Pakistan and Australia's fast bowling reserves don't have too much quality
DWTA. Australia's fast bowling depth is pretty strong; the problem is the fact that the best 10 or so guys are pretty interchangeable. No-one really stands out. Australia's Third XI fast bowling attack would be the best in the third XI world IMO, not that it's really worthy of a lot of bragging. :p

Last edited:

smash84

The Tiger King
DWTA. Australia's fast bowling depth is pretty strong; the problem is the fact that the best 10 or so guys are pretty interchangeable. No-one really stands out. Australia's Third XI fast bowling attack would be the best in the third XI world IMO, not that it's really worthy of a lot of bragging. :p
Aren't you confirming my point??? What quality is there???

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
can you please elaborate?
When you say a team has quality depth, you're only comparing that depth to every other team's depth; not the frontline players around the world. Otherwise instances of quality depth in any team would be very, very rare indeed.

Australia has one of the best four bowling attacks in the world (third IMO especially if we're only talking quicks, as we are) and their reserve bowlers are all about as good as their first choices, if not better in some cases. Mark Cameron for example is quality depth even if he isn't a quality first choice.

Last edited:

Migara

International Coach
Even Pakistan had great depth. Noe Asif and Amir are banned. But you have Shoaib, Gul, Tanvir Ahmed, Sohail Tanvir, Wahab Riyaz in the mix. Then you can alway go back to Naved-ul-Hasan and Rao Ifthikar who were solid performers. Then there may be few other people who are doing well in the domestic line up. But Pakistan also has the symptoms of the disease that SL has. Fast bowlers are woefully unfit.

Migara

International Coach
When you say a team has quality depth, you're only comparing that depth to every other team's depth; not the frontline players around the world. Otherwise instances of quality depth in any team would be very, very rare indeed.

Australia has one of the best four bowling attacks in the world (third IMO especially if we're only talking quicks, as we are) and their reserve bowlers are all about as good as their first choices, if not better in some cases. Mark Cameron for example is quality depth even if he isn't a quality first choice.
Put it another way, SL has best spin bowling reserves. We can pull out one of Randiv, Senanayake, Herath, Mendis and Bandara to play a test match at any point. But we don't have another Murali or at least a Swann in that mix. All five are pretty similar in performances.

0RI0N

State 12th Man
Migara how would you rate your spinners?
Herath the best followed by Mendis?
OT can't believe SL haven't toured SA since 2002.They will be back at end of the year.
9 years last.
SAD really

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
OT can't believe SL haven't toured SA since 2002.They will be back at end of the year.
9 years last.
SAD really
I get the feeling he rates Senanayake the best followed by Randiv, and is annoyed that the "select suckers" do not agree.

Migara

International Coach
9 years last.
SAD really
At the moment it's Randiv, Senanayake, Herath, A. Mendis, Bandara, Dinuk Hettiarachchi and J. Mendis. Sajeewa Weerakoon and Hettiarachchi etc are approaching the end of their careers. S. Prasanna is another unorthodox spinner worth mentioning.

The selectsuckers don't think that way.

Migara

International Coach
I get the feeling he rates Senanayake the best followed by Randiv, and is annoyed that the "select suckers" do not agree.
Here are his stats
231 FC wickets, off 48 matches @ 21, and 88 List A wickets in 56 games at 19.

Compare that to Herath. 675 @ 24 in FC and 145 @ 22.6

The evidence is pretty damning that who is better.

smash84

The Tiger King
At the moment it's Randiv, Senanayake, Herath, A. Mendis, Bandara, Dinuk Hettiarachchi and J. Mendis. Sajeewa Weerakoon and Hettiarachchi etc are approaching the end of their careers. S. Prasanna is another unorthodox spinner worth mentioning.

The selectsuckers don't think that way.
You think Ajantha Mendis is third best at the moment????

SL must have quite a bit of depth in their spin dept indeed. I thought that after a brief rough patch Ajantha was again on the up????

Migara

International Coach
You think Ajantha Mendis is third best at the moment????

SL must have quite a bit of depth in their spin dept indeed. I thought that after a brief rough patch Ajantha was again on the up????
I think probably the fourth best. The problem he faces is that his stock delivery is losing potency. I said the exact thing on his debut, that carom ball is going to take toll on his fingers. If he makes the off break his stock ball, he might rise up that ladder.