• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Why can't India produce great fast bowlers like Pakistan?

Migara

International Coach
Malinga looks like a bowler best suited on slow pitches, especially with those swinging yorkers. He doesn't use the helpful conditions that are on offer on lively pitches.
Sort of true. But most importantly he takes the pitch out of equation. But he's very dangerous with the new ball when it's swinging away from the RHB. On bouncy pitches, his shorter balls may nicely sit up for the hooks and pulls despite the pace. But on and off he does produce that a ball that had Pietersen

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I love Andrew Strauss's reaction to cringeworthy aggression. Just smiles patronisingly, it's awesome.

smash84

The Tiger King
I love Andrew Strauss's reaction to cringeworthy aggression. Just smiles patronisingly, it's awesome.
He wouldn't do that when McGrath was around. Would have seen Strauss try and do that with some of the more quality bowlers around.

vcs

He wouldn't do that when McGrath was around. Would have seen Strauss try and do that with some of the more quality bowlers around.
One thing you cannot fault is Strauss's mental strength and unflappability. I don't think McGrath would have got under his skin... he might have worked him over technically, that's another issue.

smash84

The Tiger King
One thing you cannot fault is Strauss's mental strength and unflappability. I don't think McGrath would have got under his skin... he might have worked him over technically, that's another issue.
He did work him over in the 2005 Ashes. Wasn't quite as good against McGrath. And McGrath would have gotten under his skin. That man had the ability to do that as well.

talhasif

Cricket Spectator
I think being a Pakistani and growing up playing cricket on the streets with a tape ball, I can tell you guys that "fast bowling" is what thrills people over here. People admire guys who can bowl quick more than batsmen who can hit the same bowlers for huge sixes. It is just the psyche of Pakistanis and i think it has developed over time due to the line of fast bowling greats. Pakistan has had some great batsmen like Javed Miandad, Hanif Muhammad, Zaheer Abbas, Saeed Anwar, Inzamam-ul-Haq but no one talks of them the way they talk about Imran, Wasim, Waqar, Shoaib. Maybe we have a penchant for violence and like seeing stumps destroyed or batsmen getting hit on the head, i don't know. But it's all about what you want to be and everyone here wants to be a fast bowler!

smash84

The Tiger King
I think being a Pakistani and growing up playing cricket on the streets with a tape ball, I can tell you guys that "fast bowling" is what thrills people over here. People admire guys who can bowl quick more than batsmen who can hit the same bowlers for huge sixes. It is just the psyche of Pakistanis and i think it has developed over time due to the line of fast bowling greats. Pakistan has had some great batsmen like Javed Miandad, Hanif Muhammad, Zaheer Abbas, Saeed Anwar, Inzamam-ul-Haq but no one talks of them the way they talk about Imran, Wasim, Waqar, Shoaib. Maybe we have a penchant for violence and like seeing stumps destroyed or batsmen getting hit on the head, i don't know. But it's all about what you want to be and everyone here wants to be a fast bowler!
Welcome to CW Talhasif. I hope you have a good time at CW discussing cricket and you have started with a quality first post i should say.

smash84

The Tiger King
Basically just check out Pakpassion.com

If they don't bowl 90mph or hit sixes they suck. :ph34r:
lol.....Pakpassion has a lot of idiots on their website. Incidentally Bhupinder Singh was a very regular poster at Pakpassion. Their cricket videos though (some of them) are just awesome.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Such a great post.

TumTum

Banned
I find him mentally weak tbh.

Blaze 18

Banned
:thumbup:

TumTum

Banned
Elaborate? :huh:
He often gets out early. Despite in '09 where he looked in superb touch, he really doesn't make the big scores. He couldn't handle Hauritz gentle spinners in the ODI series after that series. Usually makes poor shot selections to bring about his dismissals. Etc.

vcs

He often gets out early. Despite in '09 where he looked in superb touch, he really doesn't make the big scores. He couldn't handle Hauritz gentle spinners in the ODI series after that series. Usually makes poor shot selections to bring about his dismissals. Etc.
Despite all that, I still think he's one of the top 5 openers in world cricket right now.

Howe_zat

Audio File
All technical rather than his mental strength tbh. I think Strauss is very compentent mentally, especially with captaincy. A good example is the correct but risky decision to back his bowlers on the first day at Melbourne following a nightmare day in the field at Perth.