• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How would you rank the bowling attacks in world cricket as of today ?

Ruckus

International Captain
The losses do not occur on bowling friendly pitches where their bowlers fail to perform. The centurion loss is the only example of the latter, but there were mitigating circumstances there. If the Indian bowling was just ordinary overall, then you would expect more examples of the latter.
Doesn't all of that just reaffirm the view that the Indian side is driven by it's batting though? You mention how the Indian attack manages to bowl well in bowling friendly conditions, but generally any international side can be dangerous when that is the case - just as a typically weak batting side is still easily capable of putting up large totals on a flat wicket. The class of players is generally said to be determined by how well they cope in adverse conditions, not favourable ones.

Last edited:

smash84

The Tiger King
Doesn't all of that just reaffirm the view that the Indian side is driven by it's batting though? You mention how the Indian attack manages to bowl well in bowling friendly conditions, but generally any international side can be dangerous when that is the case - just as a typically weak batting side is still easily capable of putting up large totals on a flat wicket. The class of players is generally said to be determined by how well they cope in adverse conditions, not favourable ones.
exactly

shankar

International Debutant
See my reply to TumTum in the last page. I acknowledged the same.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
That's wrong. And if such a post were made in context to a Kallis against Lara or Ponting or whomever a few posters would (rightfully imo) throw a tantrum.

This is about results of games. Because that's what teams bowl to. India's bowling in recent times works as a unit. Ojha comes out with ordinary figures sometimes, but he's intentionally bowling a tight line to ensure that there is pressure on the other end for Zaheer who is reversing it.
No, that's entirely different. Saying that India in fact actually have a top three attack because they are a good team is IMO akin to saying that Suresh Raina is actually better than Chanderpaul because even though he has a **** average and rarely scores any runs, India are a better team than the West Indies, and batting in the middle order is about winning games and series. If you have a look at Kallis's results, removed from his team's, they are still excellent. India's bowling - not so much.

Ruckus

International Captain
See my reply to TumTum in the last page. I acknowledged the same.
Yeah I think all of the stuff you said there is probably true, but I don't really get how you can use that argument to justify that "if the Indian bowling was just ordinary overall, then you would expect more examples of the latter". While I don't think the Indian attack is actually that bad, especially with Zaheer there, there are plenty of genuinely mediocre/poor attacks that can still extract good results in favourable bowling conditions.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I meant as a unit with regards to the 4 of them. Not inclusive of their batting. You misunderstood me there Prince.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I meant as a unit with regards to the 4 of them. Not inclusive of their batting. You misunderstood me there Prince.
Well as a unit they've been IMO the fifth best performed attack over the last couple of years. They've regularly bowled poorly but have been saved by their batting to gloss it over. I think in reality they are #4 because Pakistan's attack is gone, but I think they've performed as a #5 bowling attack. That has nothing to do with who the members of the attack are but how I think they've performed as a unit. Obviously you disagree - that's fine, but if I want to say that and still say Dravid's form is a concern, then I will tbh.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Well as a unit they've been IMO the fifth best performed attack over the last couple of years. They've regularly bowled poorly but have been saved by their batting to gloss it over. I think in reality they are #4 because Pakistan's attack is gone, but I think they've performed as a #5 bowling attack. That has nothing to do with who the members of the attack are but how I think they've performed as a unit. Obviously you disagree - that's fine, but if I want to say that and still say Dravid's form is a concern, then I will tbh.
Vettori disagrees:ph34r:

Blaze 18

Banned
Pakistan are making a strong case for number four. I didn't watch their match versus New Zealand, but it appears they bowled brilliantly. If they can keep it up for another series or two, I would have them above India in a heartbeat.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
You're comparing apples and oranges. Pakistan bowling in England and a greenish Sydney wicket on day 1 compared to India bowling on some flat beds in SL and India.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
You're comparing apples and oranges. Pakistan bowling in England and a greenish Sydney wicket on day 1 compared to India bowling on some flat beds in SL and India.
Comparing apples and oranges is the very point of this thread though. :p

smash84

The Tiger King
No, that's entirely different. Saying that India in fact actually have a top three attack because they are a good team is IMO akin to saying that Suresh Raina is actually better than Chanderpaul because even though he has a **** average and rarely scores any runs, India are a better team than the West Indies, and batting in the middle order is about winning games and series. If you have a look at Kallis's results, removed from his team's, they are still excellent. India's bowling - not so much.[/QUOTE

A very fitting analogy. PEWS I will have to move you up in the ranks of the best debaters in this forum. I think you do belong in the Bagapath, Ikki, Migara league.

Vettori disagrees:ph34r:
:laugh:

Walter

Cricket Spectator
It's a shame Steyn doesn't have a Donald/Pollock/Ntini to bowl with. Morkel is a wee bit inconsistent. Would've loved to have seen Donald and Steyn opeing together.

smash84

The Tiger King
It's a shame Steyn doesn't have a Donald/Pollock/Ntini to bowl with. Morkel is a wee bit inconsistent. Would've loved to have seen Donald and Steyn opeing together.
that would have been awesome. Would have liked to see Steyn and Waqar bowl together in an All Time Xi though. It would have been as exciting as any spectacle on the cricket field.