• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How would you rank the bowling attacks in world cricket as of today ?

Bun

Banned
Yeah, pretty much.

Funnily enough I put India higher on my perceived quality list than I did on my achievements list, although that was basically just because Pakistan lost their whole bowling attack.

FWIW, team bowling averages in the last 2 years (exl. games against BD)

England 31.24
Australia 32.96
South Africa 33.37
Pakistan 37.06
India 39.89
Sri Lanka 42.97
New Zealand 45.24
West Indies 49.22

Now it's a flawed measure for a few reasons, but I still think it's telling. India certainly deserve to be ranked #1 as a team but they have got there through factors other than bowling. To say that they've performed as the 4th or 5th bowling attack is definitely fair enough IMO; winning series certainly doesn't mean you have a top three attack.
But India has also the best W/L record among all teams as well.

Since 2008,

Team records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPN Cricinfo

It is shocking how India's bowling numbers are dire and third from the bottom, only WI and Ban having even worse numbers. But equally shocking is that they've also managed to win so many test matches as well, which suggests their bowling has done enough and the numbers may be looking ugly as a result of the pitches they've been playing in. Or maybe that they do well just enough to win/tie test series but in the games they lose/draw they tend to be absolutely horrible. I am not sure.

Here are my rankings (assuming Pak spearheads are available)

1. Pakistan (Asif, Amir, Ajmal - These guys can run through perhaps any attack in the world and likely do so more than any team in the world)
2. South Africa - (Steyn, Morkel - They are a deadly combo and Lopsy is becoming a reliable 3rd pacer as well. They also have Kallis. Their current spinner is dire though)
3. England - Jimmy Anderson and Graeme Swann have been consistently good performers in the last 2 years. Although one can argue majority of their good performances came against weaker sides like Bangladesh, WI, Pakistan and then against a palpably out of sorts Australia, they would feel confident to replicate their form against other sides as well, especially at home. Their acid test would be the upcoming series against India though.
4. India - Their numbers may look horrible but those are actually a product of their environment more than their direness. Zaheer Khan and Harbhajan Singh are still top of the class performers while Sreesanth as mercurial as he is, is capable of running through top class sides on his day.
5. Australia - They have a world class bowler in Mitchell Johnson but he is woefully inconsistent especially without backup performances from other bowlers. If his last 2 years are anything to go by, he is slipping than improving as a bowler
6. Sri Lanka - I would definitely rate them above India if they had Murali. But now they don't. Their pace spearhead Malinga has played very few tests in the last 5 years as well. Even with Murali they have struggled away from home, and now they are vulnerable even at home.
7. West Indies - Kemar Roach is an interesting and exciting prospect but till they start winning series they cannot claim for a higher position.
8. New Zealand - Not much to write about here. Vettori still stands tall among the mediocre bowlers around him.
9. Bangladesh - Shakib Al Hasan is the only test class bowler they have unearthed in a decade of top drawer cricket. Says it all.

Teja.

Global Moderator
As to the answer to this Thread's question. I guess I'll wait for one more year to see

1) What Oz's bowling core turns out to be
2) Just how good of a beast Tremmers turns out to be
3) Whether Zaheer can maintain fitness and his incredible 2010 standards of performance
4) If Imran Tahir is the real deal
5) Whether Malinga comes back to tests after the WC

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
If these same people who say India is #1 because of its batting only, and have a #5 or #6 bowling attack ever denounce India's batting as having lots of weaknesses I'll call them on it. Gambhir, Sehwag are FTBs, Dravid is past it and not having a 6 etc.

It's so inconsistent. Otherwise people are suggesting India are #1 on the back of Laxman and Sachin only. But then Sachin never wins his team games, and Laxman isn't a great.

****, India must be #1 because of the BCCI. It's the only explanation :dry:

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
If these same people who say India is #1 because of its batting only, and have a #5 or #6 bowling attack ever denounce India's batting as having lots of weaknesses I'll call them on it. Gambhir, Sehwag are FTBs, Dravid is past it and not having a 6 etc.

It's so inconsistent. Otherwise people are suggesting India are #1 on the back of Laxman and Sachin only. But then Sachin never wins his team games, and Laxman isn't a great.

Apparently no one can bowl and the batting has massive weaknesses at all positions excluding #4, and #5. And Sachin never wins games. So the results then can only be true because the BCCI fixes games, obviously.

Damn the BCCI.

Bun

Banned
England has had only 1 series against the top 5 where it averaged less than 38 per wicket, and that was the just concluded Ashes where it avged 29 per wicket against Australia. Just for comparison sake, India have had 4 such series. (All figures since 2008).

What is more befuddling about India's bowling numbers is that in the 09 home series they averaged nearly 41 per wicket against Sri Lanka, even though they won the 3 test series 2-0 :wacko:

kingjulian

U19 12th Man
England has had only 1 series against the top 5 where it averaged less than 38 per wicket, and that was the just concluded Ashes where it avged 29 per wicket against Australia. Just for comparison sake, India have had 4 such series. (All figures since 2008).

What is more befuddling about India's bowling numbers is that in the 09 home series they averaged nearly 41 per wicket against Sri Lanka, even though they won the 3 test series 2-0 :wacko:
That would be the sehwag and Dilshan slog fest.

I thought they were redefining test cricket.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Join the Ravens and you'll have access to much more than that avatar in the club forum, tbh :ph34r:
Ravens? Cricsim?

In seriousness, I did make an account there during the CW Invasion to laugh about the flaming done, I read some of the intro as well and could not understand head or tail of the concept of simming and the comps though, really. So did not stick around.

Bun

Banned
That would be the sehwag and Dilshan slog fest.

I thought they were redefining test cricket.
Is it? I don't care for bowlers averaging 60 if such test matches produce results though. I am not in favor of constant minefields which produce 150 plays 150 type either. High scoring result matches perhaps are the most entertaining of the lot. :)

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!

Rejecting UDRS probably comes into it as well. :dry: