• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia - the aftermath of the Ashes

Spark

Global Moderator
I just think that with that team, what will happen is that we will be playing in 2013 with

No Katich
No Hussey
No Ponting
No Haddin
No Clarke

So basically, no experience - no one to guide. We will get hammered.

howardj

International Coach
Australian cricket, IMO, should be more than just about the Ashes.

I want to see us set our stall to become the best team in the world again

You do that by making the tough calls and letting some young guys grow together.

IMO, you don't do that by looking two years ahead to the next Ashes series.

Cast your mind back to 1991-1995....Martyn, Hayden, Slater, Warne, McGrath, Ponting, Gillespie, Langer....they all grew together.

And yes, you have a sprinkling of experience - Hussey, Clarke, Watson.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Hughes
Cosgrove
Watson
Khawaja
Clarke
Smith
Paine
Hauritz
Siddle
Copeland
Bollinger

Not a team for the next test necessarily, but IMO the team to build towards over the next couple of years.

Spark

Global Moderator
Australian cricket, IMO, should be more than just about the Ashes.

I want to see us set our stall to become the best team in the world again

You do that by making the tough calls and letting some young guys grow together.

IMO, you don't do that by looking two years ahead to the next Ashes series.

Cast your mind back to 1991-1995....Martyn, Hayden, Slater, Warne, McGrath, Ponting, Gillespie, Langer....they all grew together.

And yes, you have a sprinkling of experience - Hussey, Clarke, Watson.
Precisely! This is what I've been saying all along, forget 2013 and just worry about the next series.

I think my major, major beef with your team is just Clarke at #3.

howardj

International Coach
I just think it's criminal that while Hussey, Clarke and Ponting slide down the order, we're asking greenhorns to bat in the prime position in the order. Shouldn't it be the other way around? I think Channel Nine even commented the other day, that Usman was the first guy to debut at three in a very long, long time.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I just think it's criminal that while Hussey, Clarke and Ponting slide down the order, we're asking greenhorns to bat in the prime position in the order. Shouldn't it be the other way around? I think Channel Nine even commented the other day, that Usman was the first guy to debut at three in a very long, long time.
It was a stiff ask of the boy, but he's a top order batter and (as I think I read somewhere on CW) he opened in Grade and age level cricket too, so he should have the chops for it.

From the selected XI Clarke was the only conceivable other option at three and four is giving him vertigo just now.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah, as I said before, I have more faith in Khawaja to score runs at three than I do in him to score runs at six. He's always been an opening batsman and he's batted exclusively in the top three for New South Wales. Yeah, there's more pressure there, but that's the role he's used to.

howardj

International Coach
I just think he's going through a bad patch.

I have no evidence, but I don't think he finds batting at four any different to batting at five.

Correlation doesn't always equal causation.

In any case, in this series, the only difference between four and five was one over.

Spark

Global Moderator
Nor do I actually, but it seems to have an impact.

Perhaps there is the fact that he loves batting in partnerships and we just haven't put any together.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hughes
Cosgrove
Watson
Khawaja
Clarke
Smith
Paine
Hauritz
Siddle
Copeland
Bollinger

Not a team for the next test necessarily, but IMO the team to build towards over the next couple of years.
Can't see Cosgrove as a test opener tbh. Not saying he isn't a test player though.

A very, very big test player.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Never been much of a fan of Shaun Marsh, simply because he received an armchair ride into the Oz odi team without doing anything of note domestically

However, there is no denying that he is a huge talent plus he is finally showing application at state level and this is being reflected in his results

If his form continues until the end of the season and carries on at the WC, I'd have no problem with him being in the squad for SL and in the tests side next summer because the guy exudes class with the bat

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If Symonds and Cosgrove are examples of what happens to your form when you hit the piss then the test team should get the drinks in

BoyBrumby

Englishman
If Symonds and Cosgrove are examples of what happens to your form when you hit the piss then the test team should get the drinks in
Fair point. Obviously it's different for everyone, but some chaps are never going to be from the identikit pro template. Warney chased fanny til all hours and refuelled on chips n cheese and pizzas and he went ok.

It might seem unfair on the less talented blokes who do knuckle down, but that's life. It's not fair Ben Cousins still looks cut and chisled in his 30s after a Class A consumption that would embarrass Amy Winehouse, but genius writes it own rules as the cliche has it.

Midwinter

State Captain
Last season the problem with the team was that the middle order wasn't making any runs. .
The problem this season is the middle order isn't making any runs

Why does everyone want to retain the players who are the cause of the problem.

Ponting's time is up - an average of 16 for the series as captain
Katich deserves to hold his place but his age is against him
Hussey's plaace is again borderline after 4 consecutive failures in the last two tests.
Clarke should be out of the team on his current form.
Smith has had a turn and he may offer something in the future, but we need to try someone else.

On form alone you can see what trouble we are in

As Peter English has pointed out everyone is in denial .
The problem is obvious

The solution is to start bringing new players into the team and saying goodbye to yesterdays heroes, former champions or not .

The sooner the process is started the better for rveryone.

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
Last season the problem with the team was that the middle order wasn't making any runs. .
The problem this season is the middle order isn't making any runs

Why does everyone want to retain the players who are the cause of the problem.

Ponting's time is up - an average of 16 for the series as captain
Katich deserves to hold his place but his age is against him
Hussey's plaace is again borderline after 4 consecutive failures in the last two tests.
Clarke should be out of the team on his current form.
Smith has had a turn and he may offer something in the future, but we need to try someone else.

On form alone you can see what trouble we are in

As Peter English has pointed out everyone is in denial .
The problem is obvious

The solution is to start bringing new players into the team and saying goodbye to yesterdays heroes, former champions or not .

The sooner the process is started the better for rveryone.

Midwinter

State Captain
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

But the definition of insanity is to repeat the same thing but to expect a different result.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Sure worked for England in the 90's didn't it
There's a balance that needs to be struck tho. Statis can be just as crippling as a selectorial game of pass-the-parcel.

I'll probably use the example again but England cutting Finn despite him being our leading wicket taker was a bravura piece of bold selection. It would've been so easy to back the status quo, but it was absolutely the right decision.

Clarke and especially Ponting have been formula one players so both have deserved a little forbearance, but they seem to be running on fumes just now. I'd personally drop Clarke and strip Ponting of the captaincy to see if a return to the ranks might re-energise his batting. If it doesn't then maybe his decline is terminal.