• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia - the aftermath of the Ashes

Spark

Global Moderator
The one point I suppose you could make against Dussey is that he's basically not replicated his domestic results at all at an international level (in ODIs), which may have resulted in him being tagged as a domestic bully.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Hate to focus on one part of a well-constructed post, but, to my way of thinking, that isn't true. There are better batsmen available (Rogers, Hussey minor & Cosgrove off the top of my head) than Ferguson to bring in but, for whatever reasons, all have the "do not select" LED illuminated.

As I said in the Cosgrove thread, I'm not convinced Aus can be quite so choosy with its talent now. &, as you've argued often, there are solid reasons to select the best team for the next test rather than with an eye on some spurious and potentially illusory future.
Okay; I'll rephrase. They would bring in Ferguson, or stick with Smith in the top seven. Cosgrove, Dave Hussey and Rogers are viable alternatives but they wouldn't be picked. The quality of the likely (even if unjust) replacement of Clarke is one of many reasons I don't want to see him dropped.

My preferred top six at this stage would be this:

Katich
Watson
Khawaja
Ponting
Clarke
Hussey

You could (quite rightly) make the argument that dropping Hussey a place down the order after his performances this series would be a bit silly, but his ability to bat against the old ball and shepherd the tail is second to none in the country. Should it bother one too much though, you could merely swap him and Clarke.

Ponting is the biggest question mark in that lineup though, tbh.

Spark

Global Moderator
I've been wanting Hussey to bat 6 for quite a long time now, simply because he is so bloody good with the tail. If he's able to use his new-found awesomeness to stop collapses then all the better.

howardj

International Coach
Clarke at three would be the most epic of fails. I'm sure he'd do it if asked, but he'd be terrible at it IMO. I can't do anything but laugh at the fact that you've dropped Katich and Haddin.

Likewise for you advocating, still, Ponting, Katich, Hussey, Haddin in the same team.

Maybe we can rebuild after 2013 :laugh:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Okay; I'll rephrase. They would bring in Ferguson, or stick with Smith in the top seven. Cosgrove, Dave Hussey and Rogers are viable alternatives but they wouldn't be picked. The quality of the likely (even if unjust) replacement of Clarke is one of many reasons I don't want to see him dropped.

My preferred top six at this stage would be this:

Katich
Watson
Khawaja
Ponting
Clarke
Hussey

You could (quite rightly) make the argument that dropping Hussey a place down the order after his performances this series would be a bit silly, but his ability to bat against the old ball and shepherd the tail is second to none in the country. Should it bother one too much though, you could merely swap him and Clarke.

Ponting is the biggest question mark in that lineup though, tbh.
I agree, but that's symptomatic of the denial Peter English spoke of in his rather excellent cricinfo article. As someone said in the Ashes sub-forum, a fish rots from the head down. If this result isn't the cue for a total overhaul of CA something's truly rotten in the state of Denmark.

The buck passing is vomit worthy, tbh. If Hilditch and Nielsen had an ounce of honour they'd have fallen on their swords by now.

howardj

International Coach
Let's start winning test matches first...
And Katich fits into that how?

Please, the guy is kissing 36, and averages 23 since we lost to Pakistan.

But yeah, let's retain until next September when he's eight months older.

And let's keep Ponting and Hussey in the same team too.

One of them must go, and I say Katich.

Spark

Global Moderator
And Katich fits into that how?

Please, the guy is kissing 36, and averages 23 since we lost to Pakistan.

But yeah, let's retain until next September when he's eight months older.

And let's keep Ponting and Hussey in the same team too.

One of them must go, and I say Katich.
That's four tests. One of which he didn't face a ball in an innings and couldn't walk in the other. Another in which he scored a fifty and then got out cheaply in the most hopeless, pointless of situations.

Better keep Katich, who has performed extremely well for us in recent times then mess about with the batting order by sticking Khawaja at opening, a place where we don't intend to play him long-term, have a number six who is not yet Test-standard, and end the career of someone who if managed properly should end his career having played 120+ tests with an average of over 50.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
That's four tests. One of which he didn't face a ball in an innings and couldn't walk in the other. Another in which he scored a fifty and then got out cheaply in the most hopeless, pointless of situations.
Yeah, but what does it say on his birth certificate?

After the great success of Hughes and Smith in this series, I can't wait to get more unproven, out of form 22 year olds into the team in key or dual roles. Especially if you look at the abject failures which were Hussey and Haddin.

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
In Katto's defence he was also:

a) run out without facing a ball, &

b) obviously inconvenienced by a Achilles injury in the 2nd test.

I'm admittedly a fan, but I think he's a keeper still.

howardj

International Coach
Yeah, but what does it say on his birth certificate?

After the great success of Hughes and Smith in this series, I can't wait to get more unproven, out of form 22 year olds into the team in key or dual roles. Especially if you look at the abject failures which were Hussey and Haddin.
Here I was thinking I didn't select Hughes in my team above, apparently not so.

As I say, it beggars belief that you want to retain Hussey, Ponting and Katich (and also Haddin) in the same lineup.

Setting us up for another rebuilding period in 2013; seven whole years after Warne and McGrath have retired.

Spark

Global Moderator
everyone is saying they'll stick by ponting... he is like a god in CA. they adore him.

Spark

Global Moderator
Here I was thinking I didn't select Hughes in my team above, apparently not so.

As I say, it beggars belief that you want to retain Hussey, Ponting and Katich (and also Haddin) in the same lineup.

Setting us up for another rebuilding period in 2013; seven whole years after Warne and McGrath have retired.
The side you've picked will have us rebuilding from an even worse state in 2012 tbh. You really will be killing good players off if you do that.

howardj

International Coach
You may as well keep Hilditch in charge if you don't want to make hard calls.

How do you stagger the retirements of Haddin, Ponting, Katich, Hussey (all roughly the same vintage) if you're not prepared to make a call in eight months time on even one of them?

Khawaja and Watson are fine as openers, and put Ferguson in for Smith at six if you want.

But let's not have four 35+ year olds in the same team in eight months time.

Spark

Global Moderator
Haddin is only 33 IIRC, it's a bit early to be retiring now.

FFS you don't drop players who are performing players who are old. That's how you lose tests and end up in a horrible tailspin. And playing Clarke at #3, urgh. Just, urgh.

If we keep Katich for another year or so then Hughes can go back to FC cricket and fix his technique. THEN Katich can retire and we can have a Hughes who actually cuts the mustard in tests. Khawaja should bat 3 anyway.

For mine the next cab off the rank in terms of middle order batting is White.

Last edited:

howardj

International Coach
We will have to agree to vigorously disagree.

And take comfort in the fact that we all have Australian cricket's best interests close to our bossoms.