• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Greatest cricketer post 1990

Select your greatest post 1990 cricketer

• Total voters

Teja.

Global Moderator
But that is a fallacy. You are assuming Kallis' is just as good a batsman as Tendulkar. He isn't, for mine.

His other facet - bowling - hardly affects games for it to matter so it hardly adds to his greatness in terms of winning a match IMO. It's mostly economical with the ability to chip off a wicket once in an inning.
If you're saying two wickets is not a massive enough factor to override even a league of difference in batsmanship(which I don't think exists), I cannot agree with you.

I think you're underrating just how big a scale-tipper 2 wickets @ 30 ea per match is.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
You're seeing it as a purely individual exercise. Kallis is largely the 4th bowler in a line-up. The wickets he takes are probably going to be picked up by another bowler anyway. It's not like if he doesn't take the wicket no one else will.

Teja.

Global Moderator
You're seeing it as a purely individual exercise. Kallis is largely the 4th bowler in a line-up. The wickets he takes are probably going to be picked up by another bowler anyway. It's not like if he doesn't take the wicket no one else will.
Nah, That logic can be used to underrate the wickets taken by pretty much every bowler in a good bowling line-up.

Are you telling me that the 1.5 wickets Kieth Miller averaged per Innings are not valuable as they could easily have been picked up by Lindwall or Johnston instead?

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Nah, That logic can be used to underrate the wickets taken by pretty much every bowler in a good bowling line-up.

Are you telling me that the 1.5 wickets Kieth Miller averaged per Innings are not valuable as they could easily have been picked up by Lindwall or Johnston instead?
Nah, it can't. Miller was an opening bowler who when needed to bowled long spells but didn't because of his back. He bowled important overs and took important wickets. It's big stretch to simply say "someone else would have done it". Or imagine trying to make that argument for someone like McGrath.

Kallis' contribution usually had a negligible effect on the game IMO. In 240 innings, he's only taken 4 or more wickets 12 times. These were the times when he not only took a significant amount of wickets, he did it cheaply and quick too. The other 228 times he not only had a limited affect on the match his figures are dire too. At best, economical.

FTR, I am kind of playing Devil's advocate here. He has a great case, I just don't think it's necessarily as strong as you are making it out. Take the vote for the cricketer of the last decade...who did it go to? Ponting, not Kallis.

Last edited:

Teja.

Global Moderator
Nah, it can't. Miller was an opening bowler who when needed to bowled long spells but didn't because of his back. He bowled important overs and took important wickets. It's big stretch to simply say "someone else would have done it".

Kallis' contribution usually has a negligible effect on the game IMO. In 240 innings, he's only taken 4 or more wickets 12 times. These were the times when he not only took a significant amount of wickets, he did it cheaply and quick too. The other 228 times he not only had a limited affect on the match his figures are dire too. At best, economical.
I strongly, strongly disagree re how you're subjective opinions swing from one side of the pendulum to another regarding two bowlers who had a low wpm. It's not to say that Kallis was in the class of the other but saying one took dire wickets while the other important ones in a generalizing sweep is just not on, IMHO.

We'll agree to disagree regarding Kallis' value as a kallisballer then.

Redbacks

International Captain

You could look at the discrepency between averages for a better indication of why his wickets were valuable. That's 3 wpm at 22.97, was in fact at a better average than Lindwall.

Taking the ball of a frontliner and giving up 13 more rpw will have a bigger impact.

Teja.

Global Moderator
You could look at the discrepency between averages for a better indication of why his wickets were valuable. That's 3 wpm at 22.97, was in fact at a better average than Lindwall.

Taking the ball of a frontliner and giving up 13 more rpw will have a bigger impact.
I'd never dare to suggest that Kallis was half as good a bowler as Miller tbh. However, The value of a wicket is not told by the bowling average. The bowling average does not even hint at it.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
I strongly, strongly disagree re how you're subjective opinions swing from one side of the pendulum to another regarding two bowlers who had a low wpm. It's not to say that Kallis was in the class of the other but saying one took dire wickets while the other important ones in a generalizing sweep is just not on, IMHO.

We'll agree to disagree regarding Kallis' value as a kallisballer then.
But it's wrong, absolutely wrong. They're not even in the same class. Their bowling has completely different roles. It's not even close. Kallis' bowling can be replicated by the rest of the attack to the same standard, at least, that he brings. Miller's bowling cannot.

I'd never dare to suggest that Kallis was half as good a bowler as Miller tbh. However, The value of a wicket is not told by the bowling average. The bowling average does not even hint at it.
For obvious reasons, the value of their wickets are far apart - even if you weren't to use average or SR. So the first part of this post shouldn't need explaining. The value of Kallis' wickets =/= the value of Miller's.

Last edited:

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Miller's WPI average was considerably better than 1.5 TBF.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Kallis' bowling can be replicated by the rest of the attack to the same standard, at least, that he brings. Miller's bowling cannot.
But the replication would require the other bowlers to bowl 120 balls(Or whatever the average SR of the team is) per match to take the wickets, It's one thing saying Kallis' bowling is not match-winning, completely another to say it's not useful. 2-60 every Innings whether or not it can be replicated by another bowler is obviously useful and 2 more than either Ponting and Tendulkar manage. It certainly,for me,is a good enough reason to consider Kallis to be a better cricketer than both.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
But the replication would require the other bowlers to bowl 120 balls(Or whatever the average SR of the team is) per match to take the wickets, It's one thing saying Kallis' bowling is not match-winning, completely another to say it's not useful. 2-60 every Innings whether or not it can be replicated by another bowler is obviously useful and 2 more than either Ponting and Tendulkar manage. It certainly,for me,is a good enough reason to consider Kallis to be a better cricketer than both.
Kallis doesn't take 2/60 an inning; it's more like 1/33 (and even higher if you exclude minnows). He bowls 13 overs an inning. Useful, sure. Any more than that is a stretch. As a 4th/5th bowler taking those kinds of wickets at those figures really is not enough IMO to conclusively rate him above the likes of Tendulkar as a great cricketer. That's' all I am saying. I'd argue that with also his slip fielding it would probably make him superior to Tendulkar.

FTR, Miller took 1.8 wickets an inning.

Last edited:

Teja.

Global Moderator
Miller's WPI average was considerably better than 1.5 TBF.
Yeah, Never meant this to become a debate on Miller, It was just my point that it's not necessary that every bowler with a low wpm is inherently a free-rider. Again I don't consider Kallis to be half as good a bowler as Miller was. I just did the error of of directly subtracting wpm/2. It's closer to 1.8 if WPI is calculated properly, Apologies.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, Never meant this to become a debate on Miller, It was just my point that it's not necessary that every bowler with a low wpm is inherently a free-rider. Again I don't consider Kallis to be half as good a bowler as Miller was. I just did the error of of directly subtracting wpm/2. It's closer to 1.8 if WPI is calculated properly, Apologies.
You're 17, I'll let you off just this once. :p

Redbacks

International Captain
Are you refering to things like; partnership breaker, dismissing a set batsman and ability to give the other bowlers a spell whilst maintaining the pressure?