• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia - the aftermath of the Ashes

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Sutherland would have had very little to do with the 17 man squad shemozzle, his role is all encompassing and has a lot more to it than just the Australian cricket team.

Game development, the development of the Big Bash competition, player numbers; these are the sorts of issues that would be taking up the majority of his time, you'd imagine. CA has (I'd assume, and be pretty sure) its cricket operations department to look after the Australian team and the issues revolving around that.

EDIT: What I would be willing to point the finger at head office for was the Champions League fiasco with Hussey and Bollinger.

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
Sutherland would have had very little to do with the 17 man squad shemozzle, his role is all encompassing and has a lot more to it than just the Australian cricket team.

Game development, the development of the Big Bash competition, player numbers; these are the sorts of issues that would be taking up the majority of his time, you'd imagine. CA has (I'd assume, and be pretty sure) its cricket operations department to look after the Australian team and the issues revolving around that.

EDIT: What I would be willing to point the finger at head office for was the Champions League fiasco with Hussey and Bollinger.
That's all fair enough.

---

The Sheffield Shield. It must come back.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Siddle should play every match until he's 64 after his performance at the MCG when Australia were losing the Ashes. Have no time whatsoever for the suggestion that he should be dropped.

pup11

International Coach
I mean if three massive innings defeats in a single series at home isn't good enough to make Hilditch realise that there is a problem, then god bless Aussie cricket!!
The only positive I was hoping to come out of this Ashes debacle was, that it might wake the Australian hierarchy from their slumber and force them to make some right moves, but that probably doesn't look like happening.
As for my earlier comment about 2013 Ashes being the goal, that didn't mean we shouldn't worry about the other important series, but what I meant to say was we should stick with blokes who are likely to play in England in 3 years time.
So if that means sticking with Hussey, Ponting, Katich, Johnson till then, then so be it. Though I would hate to see a situation arise where we have cluster of players either retiring or getting dropped just prior to the Ashes.
We keep hearing that Australia has been in a rebuilding phase since the retirement of all the legends, but I don't think that's really the case.
We have been giving test caps to 30 year olds hoping to get a couple of good seasons from them in return, but such selections were only stop gap arrangements that have led to Australian test team looking like the unstable wreck it is right now!!

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Another big problem with the writings, especially in the southern states, is the idea that you go for youth once you are at the bottom, as it's the way to go in the AFL with a draft system. It's just a prevalent notion, which doesn't really relate all that well to international cricket, with its irregular seasons and country vs country series.

It could be more applicable to state level cricket, to be fair. Although it didn't do much for SA around 2003.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
This thread has been rather depressing so I thought of some positives to emerge:

- No more North
- Siddle was impressive at times. Definitely improving his lengths
- Debut of Khawaja finally

That's about it unfortunately...

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
It will be very interesting to see what the selectors do with Michael Beer. I believe he bowled as well as could be expected of him. This Sydney wicket had very little purchase for the spinners and even Swann only returned match figures of 2/112.

It would be so pointless if the selectors scrapped Beer now. If they believe he is the real deal, then give him such leverage to settle at this level.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah I thought he bowled decent as well. 10x the bowler Doherty is and he got two test matches!

Spark

Global Moderator
This thread has been rather depressing so I thought of some positives to emerge:

- No more North
- Siddle was impressive at times. Definitely improving his lengths
- Debut of Khawaja finally

That's about it unfortunately...
That some changes might actually happen now sort of counts as a major positive.

Perhaps a few of our batsmen might actually rethink about how they prepare for the moving ball too (hey Pup) which is a positive.

These are some sizeable bows that I'm drawing though.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
That yet remains to be seen however.

I honestly do think there will be some changes though. The cricket has been on the front page countless times this summer, mostly blasting our performance and CA can't hide its head in the dirt forever

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Can't wait for the 5 or whatever months of speculation that gets me excited about the future, and then seeing Hilf opening with the new ball first test in Sri Lanka leaving me suicidal

Ruckus

International Captain
That is an amazingly awesome article. Completely ****s on all the other media outlets slamming Australia.

This was to the point, accurate and hilarious.
Yeah haha, this bits the best: "Tim Nielsen, the coach, was reasonable enough to avoid praising himself"

tooextracool

International Coach
Dont really agree with the hypothesis of the article. I think most Aussies know that they are in free fall, but for a captain or a coach to come out and say "our pool of talent or domestic cricketers in Australia is a joke at the moment" would simply be a inane comment to make in the media and also sends a poor message to some of the younger talent. It's one thing for the critics to say that, and its probably quite accurate, but its another thing for it to be endorsed by the heads of cricket Australia.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Heads of cricket Australia should admit they made errors though, or at least make a nice vague comment of "the selections did not result in performances that we originally believed they would have". Not talking themselves up as if they did a good job.

tooextracool

International Coach
Yeah that is true, I've never been a fan of their selection panel to be honest and I dont expect the likes of Chappellg to make a whole lot of difference.

Redbacks

International Captain

This will certainly cause a stir at CA, say what you will but Mitch must have saved them millions of dollars with his spell in Perth to at least breathe life into the boxing day test.

Furball

Evil Scotsman

This will certainly cause a stir at CA, say what you will but Mitch must have saved them millions of dollars with his spell in Perth to at least breathe life into the boxing day test.
Cricket Australia to introduce gimmicks to Shield Cricket because "people don't like Test cricket any more."

Rest of the world to point and laugh.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
I don't really get TV ratings for sport. So many people wouldn't just watch sport by themselves.