• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Greatest cricketer post 1990

Select your greatest post 1990 cricketer

• Total voters

smash84

The Tiger King
I was lucky enough to watch all of the careers (all of the Tests involving Aust anyway) of Ambrose, Wasim and McGrath and would have McGrath a clear third tbh

I would rate McGrath

Last for the yorker (Ambrose first)

Last for swing bowling (Wasim first)

Last for the bouncer (Ambrose first)

Last for pace

Behind Ambrose for accuracy

Still hard to fault the record of McGrath:cool:
I think Wasim should be first for the yorker. Ambrose's yorker was not as lethal as Wasim's IIRC.

archie mac

International Coach
I think Wasim should be first for the yorker. Ambrose's yorker was not as lethal as Wasim's IIRC.
I certainly could be wrong but I remember Ambrose bowling batsman with a great yorker once bowling Mark Taylor with a yorker off a no ball and then bowling him another yorker which cleaned him up.

Younis had a fine one as did Thommo but maybe the best I ever watched was Joel Garner:)

thierry henry

International Coach
I pretty much disagree with all of this. I am not sure how anybody can simply watch the ball, and not think about anything else.
I'm not saying it's that extreme, but it seems self-evident to me that it's easier to analyse players when you actually sit down to analyse them, rather than play against them in a high intensity sporting contest. There are so many things that can warp your perception when you're viewing the game from that perspective as opposed to sitting back and viewing the whole thing in a comparatively disinterested manner.

Champion sportsmen are all very intelligent,
Strongly disagree. Anyone who has listened to cricket commentary would have a hard time believing that any champion sportsmen are intelligent, let alone all of them (ok, that's harsh, but you get my point)

and have the ability to do more than one thing at once.
I don't really know where this claim comes from.

Nobody gets to the top on dumb luck, or simply natural ability. It is a combination of intelligence, aptitude and physical ability.
Well, I sort of agree with that, with reference to my comments on "intelligence" above.

A great batsman will be watching the ball in flight, but in between deliveries, he will be thinking about the state of the game, what his team needs from him, and how the opposition is trying to get him out. He will keep an eye on the opposition captain and any field changes he makes, and will be analyzing how the bowler is trying to dismiss him. In addition, he will also be making his own plans to combat this mode of attack.
Agreed. I still don't see how this puts them in a better position to analyse opponents than a comparatively impartial observer who gets to see an overview of everything that happens during a game and can concentrate his focus on this analysis.

I cant speak for your own sporting abilities,
Moderate, due to an insufficiency of the requisite physical abilities.

but all champion sportsmen not only have an intuitive sense of their own greatness, but are completely aware of the quality and greatness of their opponents.
Well...this is a strange sentence. I'm not sure what you're trying to say, but it sounds as though you think top sportsmen are all knowing when it comes to sport. I couldn't disagree more and think that is completely insane, but I don't suppose it's something that can be proved either way.

smash84

The Tiger King
I certainly could be wrong but I remember Ambrose bowling batsman with a great yorker once bowling Mark Taylor with a yorker off a no ball and then bowling him another yorker which cleaned him up.

Younis had a fine one as did Thommo but maybe the best I ever watched was Joel Garner:)
I think the best ever in terms of yorkers was probably Waqar. Maybe Garner was close because his yorker seemed to come in from the sky :) but nobody had a yorker as lethal as Waqar. Fast, swinging late, and into the toes.

And yes you might see a few occassional yorkers from Ambrose but you can just go and look into the latest bowling vids that Robelinda has posted. It is the 1993 PAk Vs WI test series. Just check out the 2Ws yorkers. Superb.

archie mac

International Coach
I think the best ever in terms of yorkers was probably Waqar. Maybe Garner was close because his yorker seemed to come in from the sky :) but nobody had a yorker as lethal as Waqar. Fast, swinging late, and into the toes.

And yes you might see a few occassional yorkers from Ambrose but you can just go and look into the latest bowling vids that Robelinda has posted. It is the 1993 PAk Vs WI test series. Just check out the 2Ws yorkers. Superb.
Yes the inswinging yorker was lethal against tail end batsman. Lets just say they were all class and we may be splitting hairs to pick the best, but personally I would have them

Garner
Waqar
Ambrose
Wasim
Thommo

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
archie, I have had the impression from your posts that you don't like McGrath that much, which is kind of surprising for an Australia fan.. :)

archie mac

International Coach
archie, I have had the impression from your posts that you don't like McGrath that much, which is kind of surprising for an Australia fan.. :)
I must admit I like entertainers and always thought McGrath rather boring, still his record is a great one and his status will only grow over time:)

One thing I always do when watching cricket is try and work out how the bowler is trying to dismiss the batsman. McGrath's plan seemed to be the same to almost every batsman, effective but boring:wacko:

They always said Lillee struggled to dimiss tailenders because he tried to bowl for edges, I wonder how McGrath faired against the tail compared to other fast bowlers?

smash84

The Tiger King
I must admit I like entertainers and always thought McGrath rather boring, still his record is a great one and his status will only grow over time:)

One thing I always do when watching cricket is try and work out how the bowler is trying to dismiss the batsman. McGrath's plan seemed to be the same to almost every batsman, effective but boring:wacko:

They always said Lillee struggled to dimiss tailenders because he tried to bowl for edges, I wonder how McGrath faired against the tail compared to other fast bowlers?
He was decent against the tail IIRC but the primary job of a good bowler is to get the top order cheaply. The tail gets out eventually.

smash84

The Tiger King
True and he certainly did a good job, just ask Atherton and Lara:happy:
McGrath was one of the best ever fast bowlers to the top order if not the best. We can ask Atherton, Lara, Saeed Anwar, and a host of others and they will confirm it.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Warne gets my vote - don't like the bloke very much but he reinvented part of the game - the best part of it for me - however great the others might be they haven't had the same impact, by which I mean if they'd never happened the game would still be as it is

Teja.

Global Moderator
I always loved watching McG bowl, particularly when he was fired up. The 5-fer at Lords '05 was orgasmic.