• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* India in South Africa

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Lol. 131 all out on your home soil against Ishant and Sreesanth :laugh:

South Africa are a very very inconsistent side.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Tbf between that and 2010 he wasn't close to as good. He was just an above average (averaging about 30) test bowler. He revived that sort of bowling form only in 2010.
He was a vastly improved bowler between his recall and this year when compared to what he was like before he had that stint in county cricket.

Vroomfondel

U19 12th Man
I honestly do not think they'd take wickets in the Ranji Trophy, bowling like this. Well, Sreesanth has never done well in the Ranji Trophy Plate League but Ishant used to be at least above domestic standard. We may be able to carry them, here, but not for much longer - these two cannot play in the next Test, pending something in the second innings. It would be better to call up Pankaj Singh or Munaf Patel from India, imo.
Has Sharma even had a full domestic season? I remember him being one of those Umadkat-type picks for the Aussie tour. This is probably one of the reasons for his decline -- he didn't have much of a self-discovery phase as Zak did.

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
We need to survive the first 7-8 overs without losing a wicket. I'm sure Sachin and Pujara won't give away their wickets that easily this time around.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Tbf between that and 2010 he wasn't close to as good. He was just an above average (averaging about 30) test bowler. He revived that sort of bowling form only in 2010.
Ack, he was averaging about 30 but it was in a period when Indian curators unilaterally decided to launch a no-holds-barred attack on test cricket as a spectacle. He's gone on improving for sure but he was already one of the best quicks around in 2008.

M0rphin3

International Debutant
Watching South Africa bat here has convinced me that they would have been in deep **** if they had lost the toss and batted first in the first test.
Take out Amla, Smith & Kallis and rest are pretty average. Once Kallis was out, it was quite obvious where this was heading tbh.

Teja.

Global Moderator
He was a vastly improved bowler between his recall and this year when compared to what he was like before he had that stint in county cricket.
Yeah, He certainly was. But saying that he was as good as he was in that England tour since 2007 till now would imply that he has a Steyn-like record in these 3 years. To put it like this, If Old Zaheer was 2 and present Zaheer is 5, He was 2 up till the England tour, 5 on that tour, 3.5 in the period between the England tour and 2010 and 5 in 2010.

Last edited:

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Has Sharma even had a full domestic season? I remember him being one of those Umadkat-type picks for the Aussie tour. This is probably one of the reasons for his decline -- he didn't have much of a self-discovery phase as Zak did.
No. He hadn't had a full season, actually. He played very well in about three or four games before selection for series against Bangladesh, Pakistan, then Australia. I think he had about half a Ranji season after that and then not much, then. The key was that he played well in his few Ranji games, Sreesanth had quite a few where he was largely poor, averaging over 30.

You call it a 'self-discovery phase', but for other countries, it goes without saying that someone needs domestic cricket before international cricket. It is just common sense which India lack.