• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* India in South Africa

0RI0N

State 12th Man
The world's best team won today.
1 - 0 to SA
Fab 4 : Smith Amla Kallis AB > india
Kallis M.0.M
indian fans umadkat?

Dissector

International Debutant
If there was an hour of play then the criticism would be warranted. But come on there was a whole day's play. Was he supposed to pretend there was a serious chance of saving the game and try to protect the tailenders. If Unadkat can't survive a few balls how is he supposed to bat the whole day?

Himannv

International Coach
I think it was a fantastic knock by Tendulkar, although I have to admit that I would have liked to see him hog the strike and go down fighting. Still great knock.

Fantastic performance from SA though. Dominated the game for the most part and were brilliant with the bat.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
If there was an hour of play then the criticism would be warranted. But come on there was a whole day's play. Was he supposed to pretend there was a serious chance of saving the game and try to protect the tailenders. If Unadkat can't survive a few balls how is he supposed to bat the whole day?
Nope, but he could have tried to knock off the defiict and saved an innings defeat. Seriously, if you are not thinking that way as an international cricketer, then you definitely warrant the criticism you get.

Tendulkar is not the reason we lost. He is not the reason we were in a hole either. But he could have definitely tried harder and shown a better attitude to try and at least avoid an innings defeat...

joels344

U19 Debutant
Either way, India were obviously going to lose this match, so it doesn't matter if it were by an innings and 25 runs or by SA winning by 10 wickets. India took a pretty big beating in this match, but fought back well in the 2nd innings. Even if Sachin hogged the crease to attempt to knock off those runs, he would still be most likely not out.

Blaze 18

Banned
Nope, but he could have tried to knock off the defiict and saved an innings defeat. Seriously, if you are not thinking that way as an international cricketer, then you definitely warrant the criticism you get.

Tendulkar is not the reason we lost. He is not the reason we were in a hole either. But he could have definitely tried harder and shown a better attitude to try and at least avoid an innings defeat...
Yeah honestbharani, I agree with you here. He should have tried to wipe out the deficit to make the defeat more respectable (if that is possible); I suppose it would not really have made a difference though, as South Africa were bound to get a crack at Unadkat at some point.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Either way, India were obviously going to lose this match, so it doesn't matter if it were by an innings and 25 runs or by SA winning by 10 wickets. India took a pretty big beating in this match, but fought back well in the 2nd innings. Even if Sachin hogged the crease to attempt to knock off those runs, he would still be most likely not out.
Why would anyone care about him being not out? We are losing either way and so it is no big deal to me as to who remains not out. But who knows if we had 10 or 20 lead, they might have lost a wicket.. And a 9 wicket loss is not as bad as an innings defeat. The whole thing is that you try to win and when you can't, you try to draw and when you can't do either, you try and go down by as less a margin as you can... As they say, at least he could have frustrated South Africa by having them bat again. It is not often you take a lead of 500 in the first innings and still end up having to bat again.. Very disappointing to see Sachin basically play for the red ink.. :(

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Thoroughly dominate performance by SA. I don't think they'll rest on their laurels either, Smith seems determined to achieve a whitewash. Any early word on the weather and/or likely pitch conditions for the 2nd test?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Why would anyone care about him being not out? We are losing either way and so it is no big deal to me as to who remains not out. But who knows if we had 10 or 20 lead, they might have lost a wicket.. And a 9 wicket loss is not as bad as an innings defeat. The whole thing is that you try to win and when you can't, you try to draw and when you can't do either, you try and go down by as less a margin as you can... As they say, at least he could have frustrated South Africa by having them bat again. It is not often you take a lead of 500 in the first innings and still end up having to bat again.. Very disappointing to see Sachin basically play for the red ink.. :(
Kallis double hundred; Tendulkar 100 odd not out playing for red ink. Oh I love it.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Amazing effort by India to fight back, even if it was fruitless/their bowling was toothless.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Agree with HB and Blaze. What Tendulkar did here is not consistent with what he said yesterday in press conference - "Give our best" etc. Where is that sense of pride, ffs? This is why I admire Sehwag no ends. Losing by 9 wickets instead of an innings (as HB says) would have mattered to Sehwag for sure.

Ruckus

International Captain
Thought it was a bit harsh of Tendulkar to knock into covers first ball of the over and leave Unadkat the rest of the over against Steyn
I never had the impression Tendulkar is tactically adept as a batsmen. He obviously has immense natural talent, but I don't think he is the most calculating cricketer. That would probably explain why his captaincy is pretty average too...