• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* India in South Africa

smash84

The Tiger King
Tendy was the best even on day 1 i thought.............a big part of his career he played in a **** team...and now again a lot of times when he does well the team plays ****

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
And yet how dare he be criticised!

He played a great knock. I'm just questioning it's importance
So if it rains the whole day today,then will it become important or not?

Importance of the knock does not totally depend on the quality of the knock.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
And yet the fact remains that had Tendulkar/India scored more runs on the first day they wouldn't have lost this test match considering that the wicket has flattened out drastically in comparison to the first day.
True.

But then by the same logic if they had won the toss they wouldn't have probably lost this game too.

So the importance of anything that happened in the match is less than the importance of toss ?8-):happy:

Last edited:

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Wow. The number 1 team facing a humiliating innings defeat after all the hype surrounding the series, Yes no pressure. I am pretty sure there would have been loads of people bagging him for not scoring when needed if he had failed.
Really, I cannot understand the arguments being put forth here to question the importance of Tendulkar's innings. :laugh: Ah well, whatever. And as you pointed out, people have also taken opportunities in the past to compare his 2nd innings average to someone like Laxman and say it's not as good. Just cannot win, I guess.

vcs

Tendulkar also top-scored in the first innings FWIW... and only got out to a great delivery by Steyn.

Zinzan

Furball has a point. When your team is so hopelessly out of it then the pressure is basically off - cf Headingley 09, Gabba a few weeks ago

Yup, I'd agree with that. That's precisely how I felt watching Astle's 222 against England in '02, as spectacular an innings as it was, I always felt in was in a losing cause.

Zinzan

Tendulkar also top-scored in the first innings FWIW... and only got out to a great delivery by Steyn.
Batsmen do tend to get out more to good/great deliveries rather than poor/terrible ones, funny that :p

vcs

Batsmen do tend to get out more to good/great deliveries rather than poor/terrible ones, funny that :p
Yep, so gotta give credit to the bowler at times rather than criticize that batsman for the timing of his dismissal.

vcs

Do people think that if England had taken the last wicket at Old Trafford in 2005, Ponting's innings would have gone from being arguably the best of the decade to a mere statistical footnote?

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
So if it rains the whole day today,then will it become important or not?

Importance of the knock does not totally depend on the quality of the knock.
Yes it would actually. Obviously somewhat lucky, but the knock would grow in importance

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Really, I cannot understand the arguments being put forth here to question the importance of Tendulkar's innings. :laugh: Ah well, whatever. And as you pointed out, people have also taken opportunities in the past to compare his 2nd innings average to someone like Laxman and say it's not as good. Just cannot win, I guess.
It's not hard to understand. Tendulkar essentially filled his boots in an innings that was bound to have little effect on the result of the match

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Lets just accept that Tendulkar shouldn't have bothered to score any runs at all in the second innings and spare this thread this mindless debate.

God, the idiocy.

vcs

It's not hard to understand. Tendulkar essentially filled his boots in an innings that was bound to have little effect on the result of the match
What about Ponting's innings in Old Trafford that I mentioned earlier?

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
And yet how dare he be criticised!

He played a great knock. I'm just questioning it's importance
You could criticize him if he does something wrong. The guy scores a 100, you criticize him, the guys does something good (reject millions for a liquor ad) you criticize him.

What you along with some others here do is continuously baiting the Indian members and trolling, which is really pathetic and a shame that you are allowed to get away with it.