• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in India 2010

Mike5181

International Captain
Did you just call those three bits and pieces players?

Jesus Christ.

And no, we should not reel out a team of bits and pieces. Weren't you just complaining about Nathan McCullum? He is a bits and pieces player.
No your assuming i did which is your problem not mine and if you have any brain in relation to NZ cricket the reason we have been relatively successful in the past in ODIs etc is because we have had people like Harris who ARE bits and pieces players. Nathan McCullum is different he is average at first class level let alone international.

So you would not want the team

1.McCullum 2.Ryder 3.Guptill 4. Taylor 5.Williamson 6.Styris 7.Oram 8.Vettori 9.Franklin 10.Mills 11.Mckay/Tuffey

Who the hell do you want then?????? :laugh:

Flem274*

123/5
I'm trying to care about this ODI series/World Cup Trial (because that's what it is). I think I'm catching something off SS, because the Bangladesh loss didn't stir much from me at all except laughter, and these two ODI losses barely register.

I was ****ing pissed after the last test though.

Anyway, what we've learned from the subcontinent ODIs is with the exception of Millz, we can't force the pace in the subcontinent. All our shots are going to fielders. I'll review the observation after Pakistan visit, but I reckon when we're back in home conditions the strike rotation will improve considerably.

Worth noting that Taylor was the captain in the first ODI too, not Dan. Taylor must be crap too, give the captaincy to Hopkins.

Flem274*

123/5
If you have any brain in relation to NZ cricket
lol, cry me a river. If you don't want me to assume things then don't lump "bits and pieces" and Chris Cairns in the same sentence.

the reason we have been relatively successful in the past in ODIs etc is because we have had people like Harris who ARE bits and pieces players. Nathan McCullum is different he is average at first class level let alone international.
A bits and pieces player is one who doesn't make the team on bowling or batting alone.

Harris made the team on bowling with ease and was a useful bat. He was a champ in ODIs and a proper allrounder.

How does Nathan McCullum, who you admit is average even at FC level, not fit the bits and pieces criteria?

1.McCullum 2.Ryder 3.Guptill 4. Taylor 5.Williamson 6.Styris 7.Oram 8.Vettori 9.Franklin 10.Mills 11.Mckay/Tuffey

Who the hell do you want then?????? :laugh:
Franklin can bat seven or bugger off. He chucks pies in ODIs. Williamson vs Elliott is close as well. Elliott has done more than Williamson in ODIs to deserve his spot in the first eleven.

EDIT: The reason we've been successful in the past is because we've had good players. End of.

Last edited:

Mike5181

International Captain
Still your assumption though :laugh:

Nathan McCullum is a nothing player, his combined contribution with the bat/ball to the team should not be enough for him to get into any team let alone NZ.

Williamson's potential exceeds Elliots by a distance especially since GE's usefulness with the ball seems to have gone missing recently. KW is more of a long term project but hes definitely less deserved of a position in the ODI team than in the test team il give you that.

Yeah, but i cant see him doing much worse than what the bowlers chalked out last night though. Andre Adams looks pretty good lol maybe we could give him six months in the team if these clowns continue to get pounded. Who are we playing after India anyway, Pakistan?

I do think the top six has potential to be at least close to the quality of players we have had in the past. McCullum, Ryder, Guptill, Taylor, Williamson, Styris - thats a lot of talent.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
Don't think we should be developing young players right before a world cup tbh, but if Elliott can't find any form in this series or against Pakistan then I would support Williamson's inclusion.

Franklin is starting to be looked back on with rose tinted glasses in ODIs imo. He was a good bowler in tests but there were probably about five occassions he did well in ODIs, and the rest of the time he was getting hit.

If he batted at seven as a late innings hitter and fith bowler/part timer with Styris et al then I wouldn't mind him in there because we desperately need someone to score runs at seven, but I hope he's never selected as a bowler again.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I was hoping we'd teach India a lesson for resting most of their best players against us. Damn them and their crazy depth!

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Franklin is starting to be looked back on with rose tinted glasses in ODIs imo. He was a good bowler in tests but there were probably about five occassions he did well in ODIs, and the rest of the time he was getting hit.

If he batted at seven as a late innings hitter and fith bowler/part timer with Styris et al then I wouldn't mind him in there because we desperately need someone to score runs at seven, but I hope he's never selected as a bowler again.
Franklin's bowling was distinctly decent in his last year before his big knee injury. Averaged about 31 in 2007 at an economy rate of 4.6 (although admittedly he was slightly helped by a couple of WC games against Ireland and Kenya - 2/47 from the matches), in a season that involved some flat pitches and very big scores. However he's not that bowler anymore, and since his comeback he's taken 5 wickets at an average of 57 and an economy rate of 5.

Still, could he really do much worse than Elliot with the bat? Hmmm...

Shri

Mr. Glass
Jacob Oram when he is fit and is in form can really help this side atm. Mills and an in for Oram batting at the slog overs is really awesome to see(not against us).

Blocky

Banned
Remove Bangladesh and the West Indies from the mix and Vettori loses way more ODI's than he wins. That's a problem.

Blocky

Banned
I just don't see where people feel or think Vettori is an effective captain in any sense other than improving his own career stats. It's true that since he gained the captaincy, he has become a much better performer with the bat in both forms of the game. His bowling remains much the same, but ultimately this team is not as good as it was under Fleming yet it boasts much better players in my view.

Coincedientally, the last game Fleming played as a ODI captain was in the World Cup Semi Final

His batting order at the time was…

Fulton, Fleming, Taylor, Styris, Oram, McCullum, McMillan, Vettori - he had Patel, Franklin, Bond, Oram and Vettori as bowlers

That represents much worse talent in all departments except Bond than what Vettori has in his team, yet he can't win or perform anywhere near as well as Fleming. It's time to ditch his captaincy. Seriously, if Andy Moles had to go, so does Vettori.

Mike5181

International Captain
I just don't see where people feel or think Vettori is an effective captain in any sense other than improving his own career stats. It's true that since he gained the captaincy, he has become a much better performer with the bat in both forms of the game. His bowling remains much the same, but ultimately this team is not as good as it was under Fleming yet it boasts much better players in my view.

Coincedientally, the last game Fleming played as a ODI captain was in the World Cup Semi Final

Fulton, Fleming, Taylor, Styris, Oram, McCullum, McMillan, Vettori - he had Patel, Franklin, Bond, Oram and Vettori as bowlers

That represents much worse talent in all departments except Bond than what Vettori has in his team, yet he can't win or perform anywhere near as well as Fleming. It's time to ditch his captaincy. Seriously, if Andy Moles had to go, so does Vettori.
Really? maybe Fulton and Patel but that side would probably beat this one. The bowling especially is a lot better. The batting i would agree has serious potential atm with the young guys like KW, Guptill, Ryder, Taylor etc

Athlai

Not Terrible

And Vettori hasn't led the the team to semi finals?

Bugger off mate that team was fine, Franklin was an excellent foil to Bond and was playing some of his best cricket. Styris was in the form of his life. Vettori has led us to plenty of victories and if just chopping him because of a handful of losses over the past few months is bloody ridiculous.

Blaze 18

Banned
What is the point of playing Zaheer Khan ? India have done quite well without him, and more importantly, they need him fully fit for the test series against South Africa.

Resting Raina is an indication that he will play the first test against South Africa :(

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
What is the point of playing Zaheer Khan ? India have done quite well without him, and more importantly, they need him fully fit for the test series against South Africa.

Resting Raina is an indication that he will play the first test against South Africa :(
Well Zaheer's injury prone so resting him makes some sort of sense but on the other hand, you don't want him underdone either. There are no warmup games in South Africa so having him go in cold probably wouldn't be the greatest idea.