• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Kane Williamson

TumTum

Banned
Well, I know for a fact that Williamson was spotted as a special talent from a very young age in New Zealand. His name has been whispered in fevered tones by NZ cricket fans since he was about 16, and he was easily our best player on the 2008 U19 tour to England, debuted in FC cricket at 17 and was dominating it by the age of 18.
When I said "more so" it was referring to the hype of that player rather than their age.

ringo16

Cricket Spectator
A boy from NZ does not generate world-wide hype, no matter who he is. Had you heard of Shane Bond before he came to Australia? Or any Black Caps?

(You might've, but I'm speaking for the general public mostly)

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
A boy from NZ does not generate world-wide hype, no matter who he is. Had you heard of Shane Bond before he came to Australia? Or any Black Caps?

Hell, I'd hardly heard of Bond before he was randomly flown into the Test squad in Australia.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
When I said "more so" it was referring to the hype of that player rather than their age.
Again, Kane has been hyped in the New Zealand media for years as the next big thing. Given the small standing of New Zealand cricket on the global stage, its not that surprising that such hype would go by largely unnoticed in the rest of the world, compared to an Australian prodigy like Ponting.

TumTum

Banned

True, but this is the case domestically as well.

For example Ponting was seen as a future star batsmen not only for Australia, but for world cricket when he was playing those innings at domestic level. Rod Marsh said he was the best teenage batsmen he has ever seen. Kane on the other hand was seen as a very good prospect for NZ. Totally different IMO.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't see how it's in any way possible to accurately predict a player's career on the basis of TWO Tests.

Matthew Hayden averaged 21.75 after his first seven matches, and was then dropped for three years.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I don't see how it's in any way possible to accurately predict a player's career on the basis of TWO Tests.

Matthew Hayden averaged 21.75 after his first seven matches, and was then dropped for three years.
TumTum doesn't judge players by what they score though. He'll claim that if he watched Hayden play those Tests he would've correctly predicted the rest of his career based on his technique, placement, shot selection etc. You can't disprove what he's saying, even though it's clearly egotistical bull****.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Dickinson knew how to use quote properly. But that seems to be the only difference.
He's sort of like Richard but with opposite ideology. Richard completely dismissed the idea of watching cricket when forming opinions on it unless he was talking about Matthew Hayden, whereas TumTum seems to dismiss everything other than that with the same egotistical distain.

TumTum

Banned
TumTum doesn't judge players by what they score though. He'll claim that if he watched Hayden play those Tests he would've correctly predicted the rest of his career based on his technique, placement, shot selection etc. You can't disprove what he's saying, even though it's clearly egotistical bull****.
Yes that. Although you gotta admit I am correct in most (if not all) my predictions.

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
NZ batsmen are a curious bunch. Very few that I have seen for the first time have really impressed. I have to say Styris was one that I just liked from ball one, Bryan Young too- his backfoot offside play was glorious. Rutherford was pretty good too when I first saw him vs WI, even though he didnt do much. Looking back at Crowe's first seres vs Australia, he did look way out of his depth, obviously he was picked too soon. Kane looks as good as any of those guys so far, maybe even better. The way he has batted has been perfect for the situations he's found himself in, we wont know until a few more tests how he handles non-spin attacks, but so far 10000 plus points to him. Classy batsman for sure, looks very calm and doesnt have any stupid technique issues, like say Matthew Bell or Lou Vincent. Look forward to more Kane!

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
NZ batsmen are a curious bunch. Very few that I have seen for the first time have really impressed.
Strangely, the ones that do start with a bang usually fade away rather quickly. Maybe this was the secret behind his epic failures in his few ODIs. :p

TumTum

Banned
NZ play Pakistan at home in about a month. We'll see how Kane handles them. For now I had enough discussion on this topic.

robelinda

Strangely, the ones that do start with a bang usually fade away rather quickly. Maybe this was the secret behind his epic failures in his few ODIs. :p
Yeah its odd for sure. Andrew Jones was impressive, I just hated his technique, I hated his backlift and stance and trigger movements, I used to try and copy him in the nets and it felt so ********!!!

NZ are playing Pak AGAIN in NZ?? Is that like 3 years in a row?? No Aamer or Asif, thats a shame.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
I actually watched him make his first one day 100 for Northern Districts a couple of years ago against Canterbury - a game in which Shane Bond was present. Two shots stood out for me that day (well three including a Peter McGlashan reverse sweep for six) One was a back foot punch of Bond for four which was his first scoring shot and a pull infront of square again of Bond for six that took him into the 90's.

His record at the Basin in both forms of the game is fantastic - and most would agree that it's easily the fastest pitch in the country. His 100 he scored there earlier this season he hit Mark Gillespie out of the attack in just three overs after Wellington decided they would test him with the short stuff - three sixes later and the experiment had failed.
I love you when you make posts like these. Nail. Head. Hit it.

True, though Jesse Ryder had a good start to his test career.

robelinda

Actually forgot about Stephen Fleming, when I first saw him bat on the 94 tour to england, those amazingly timed drives that were his trademark early in his career were breathtaking. Dynamite of his legs too back then. He stood so much taller too.