• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in India 2010

Shri

Mr. Glass
If Ojha is out of the test side with Jadeja already out of the ODI side, it will make my cricketing year.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Couldn't find a picture of Kuruvilla? Should have won us a Test (series?) in WI though, TBF to him.

BeeGee

International Captain
Great to see Jamie How back. Though I much prefer him as a potential test opener to whatever he might do in ODIs.

Disappointed with the way they've treated Watling. He was a 'promising opener' everyone had talked about... had good performances for domestic and NZ A. Then debuts in the test side and scored a fifty early on (even if unusual circumstances). Continues and struggles a bit. Then he's picked for the ODI side for some very odd reason. Struggles there, not surprisingly as IMO is more of a 4 or 5-day player. Suddenly everyone is calling for his head. Dropped from the ODI side. Dropped from the test side after failing twice in one match batting at 3 instead of opening. Last series against Australia scored 0, 33, 46, 24, which I think you'd say is not bad by NZ opener standards.

He must be confused. He's not the only one either. Now he'll disappear back into the domestic cricket vacuum for X more years and no more words will be written about him, while everyone shifts their attention to the next 'promising young player' - perhaps Josh Brodie.

To use a good Australian expression: It gives me the ****s.
That's an average of 25 in those 4 innings. Just because NZ has always had **** openers doesn't mean we should be happy with, or accept, ****.
If he scores a heap of runs in domestic cricket he'll get back into the side. How was dropped and now he's back in the ODI squad on merit.

ringo16

Cricket Spectator
Jamie How is the big name I'm relieved to see there. Really deserves a chance, especially for him dominating the ICC Champions thing against good bowlers, while playing for the worst team.

Only selection I have much problem with is Mills not being in the test team, oh well.

BeeGee

International Captain
Looking at that NZ ODI squad, I'd love to see this 11 take the field:

B McCullum
Ryder
Styris
Taylor
Williamson
Elliott
Vettori
N McCullum
Tuffey
Mills
McKay

That's an impressive 11, IMO. Bats all the way down to 8, with Tuffey and Mills handy with the bat at 9 and 10, for the slog overs.
Bowling options up the wazoo. Every player in that team has bowled at international level :-O

ringo16

Cricket Spectator
Looking at that NZ ODI squad, I'd love to see this 11 take the field:

B McCullum
Ryder
Styris
Taylor
Williamson
Elliott
Vettori
N McCullum
Tuffey
Mills
McKay

That's an impressive 11, IMO. Bats all the way down to 8, with Tuffey and Mills handy with the bat at 9 and 10, for the slog overs.
Bowling options up the wazoo. Every player in that team has bowled at international level :-O
Would confuse the hell out of the opposition batsmen and their planning if we choose that team and McKay, Tuffey and Nathan don't even bowl.

BeeGee

International Captain
Would confuse the hell out of the opposition batsmen and their planning if we choose that team and McKay, Tuffey and Nathan don't even bowl.
Ah..... you'll have to explain this one, as I don't understand any of it.

1. Why would that team confuse the opposition batsmen? It's the exact same team NZ fielded in it's last ODI in Bangladesh, with Styris replacing Watling and Tuffey replacing Bennett.
2. McKay, Tuffey and Nathan are in the ODI squad specifically for their bowling ability.

????

Chewie

International Vice-Captain
I thought McCullum wasn't going to open in ODIs or something? Selectors haven't got faith in Tuffey so Southee'd play ahead of him I'd guess. And I don't think having Styris up the order is a good idea - he's better at smacking the attack around later.

Chewie

Jamie How is the big name I'm relieved to see there. Really deserves a chance, especially for him dominating the ICC Champions thing against good bowlers, while playing for the worst team.

Only selection I have much problem with is Mills not being in the test team, oh well.
Mills has been doing quite terribly with the ball in domestic cricket so far this season so I think it was quite good he wasn't in the test squad. He's been doing better with the bat than the ball :/

BeeGee

International Captain
I thought McCullum wasn't going to open in ODIs or something? Selectors haven't got faith in Tuffey so Southee'd play ahead of him I'd guess. And I don't think having Styris up the order is a good idea - he's better at smacking the attack around later.
Vettori mentioned McCullum could move down the order, but I think that was just a knee-jerk reaction after the Bangladesh defeat, and I hope he's not serious.
We can't bat everyone in the middle order. If McCullum moves down and Styris moves down, where does Elliot, Williamson and Vettori bat? Who bats in the top 3?
I don't know why the selectors have lost faith with Tuffey. Hard to work that one out. Southee could take his place but I'm still not 100% convinced by Southee as an ODI bowler, he leaks runs at an alarming rate (econ rate 5.37).

Halfpast_Yellow

U19 Vice-Captain
I don't know why the selectors have lost faith with Tuffey. Hard to work that one out. Southee could take his place but I'm still not 100% convinced by Southee as an ODI bowler, he leaks runs at an alarming rate (econ rate 5.37).
Tuffey of 2010 has a worse average and econ than Southee of 2010...

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I think calls of McCullum moving down the order were more in mind of NZ's lack of late order firepower since he moved up the order and Oram dropped off the scene than a poor series or two up the order.

If you bat first and you're 4/210 with 10 overs remaining, you probably don't really want Elliott, Williamson and Vettori doing the finishing work.

Chewie

Southee's economy rate is affected quite a bit by getting hit for a century against India (which I suppose is relevant) and that he bowls at the death quite a lot

Halfpast_Yellow

U19 Vice-Captain
I think calls of McCullum moving down the order were more in mind of NZ's lack of late order firepower since he moved up the order and Oram dropped off the scene than a poor series or two up the order.

If you bat first and you're 4/210 with 10 overs remaining, you probably don't really want Elliott, Williamson and Vettori doing the finishing work.
Spot on. We don't lack for openers, we lack for finishers...

What about....

How, Ryder, Guptill, Taylor, Williamson, Styris, McCullum, Mills, Tuffey, Vettori, Southee?

Hard on Elliott though.