• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in India 2010

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Personally, and it looks like I'm alone here, but Watling is even less of a one day player than a first class player. He scores too slowly and piles pressure on his partner. His batting style is much better suited to compilation than the free-scoring required in one dayers
Plus one -

He reeks of a test match player when you watch him in ODIs...

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Watching him I'd agree, but he just doesn't score many runs in First Class cricket. Realistically, he's probably just not a very good batsman at this point. He scores too slowly in one day cricket and against the attacking fields of four-day cricket, he doesn't score enough runs.
Well, certainly in the past. He's improved somewhat from when I first saw him play, but I personally think regardless of how much he improves technically, his style is pretty much incompatible with one dayers and, as you suspect, he's not yet good enough to succeed at test level. Will he ever be? Well, maybe not.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Watling should have played in the 2nd test - Guptil's 85 although crucial to the outcome of the game was a major fluke - given that the was called back by a no ball.
He (Watling) should have been given the whole series.
I certainly would have given Watling at least the second test. The irony is that he's dropped for Guptill, who has been here, there, in and out of the team in both formats as well. I agree with others that Guptill is probably the more talented*, it's just the seemingly fickle nature of quickly picking and quickly dropping someone who is clearly there as a young work-in-progress (again similar to Guptill).

* unless you call ability to apply yourself mentally 'talent'

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Watling's actually done a lot better in one day cricket domestically, although his strike rate there is poor.
Admit I didn't know/ remember this.

Perhaps he should never have been picked. But once the selectors pick someone of the 'young developing player' type they must give them a decent chance.

Last edited:

thierry henry

International Coach
Personally, and it looks like I'm alone here, but Watling is even less of a one day player than a first class player. He scores too slowly and piles pressure on his partner. His batting style is much better suited to compilation than the free-scoring required in one dayers
tbh I'm probably just arguing semantics here, but I would suggest that "compilation" (which I take to mean collecting the 1s and 2s, although clearly that's not the dictionary meaning and so perhaps I am mistaken) is more important in one day cricket than test cricket. I'd also suggest that a lack of ability to collect the 1s and 2s is not Watling's strength, but rather his biggest weakness, at least as an OD player.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
With the McGuns showing promise - we are only one player away from having a competitive top 7. Just need a number 3. Test quality players are so few and far between we may have to make our peace with not having anybody until Kane can move there - then the search will go on for a number 6.
If only Franklin could get back to being half the bowler he was in 2005, we'd have a really solid top 8...

McSolid
McDynamic
Guptill
Taylor
Ryder
Williamson
Vettori
Franklin

But unfortunately whist his batting has developed, his penetration with ball seems to have disappeared. Would love to be proven wrong on this.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Zak out for the next test?
Sigh of relief for NZ batsmen that, surely Sharma will be recalled unless they'd contemplate someone like Kumar. From all reports, sounds like Nagpur will turn more that the first two venues, so would expect Mishra to get a run.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
yeah.. time to get rid of Ojha.. He is useful as Dhoni says, as a defensive option against good players of spin on flat tracks. But if the track will turn and batsmen are relatviely suspect against spin, you gotta give Mishy a run. AT least he will get the lower order sooner, like Mendis did against Windies..

HeathDavisSpeed

tbh I'm probably just arguing semantics here, but I would suggest that "compilation" (which I take to mean collecting the 1s and 2s, although clearly that's not the dictionary meaning and so perhaps I am mistaken) is more important in one day cricket than test cricket. I'd also suggest that a lack of ability to collect the 1s and 2s is not Watling's strength, but rather his biggest weakness, at least as an OD player.
That's an incredibly patronising way of stating your point. Thanks for that :thumbsup: I thought my point was fairly clear from me saying that he piles the pressure on his batting partner to do the run scoring, but hey. The funny thing is, I think we agree on his weakness but feel free to take another cheap dig if you prefer.

thierry henry

International Coach
That's an incredibly patronising way of stating your point. Thanks for that :thumbsup: I thought my point was fairly clear from me saying that he piles the pressure on his batting partner to do the run scoring, but hey. The funny thing is, I think we agree on his weakness but feel free to take another cheap dig if you prefer.
It wasn't patronising at all. Maybe you're just a ****. Is that a cheap enough dig for you?

HeathDavisSpeed

It wasn't patronising at all. Maybe you're just a ****. Is that a cheap enough dig for you?
There's no maybe about it, but I can't see how this part of your previous post is anything other than patronising:

thierry henry said:
but I would suggest that "compilation" (which I take to mean collecting the 1s and 2s, although clearly that's not the dictionary meaning and so perhaps I am mistaken)
If that wasn't your intent, then it reads very differently to me. Maybe condescending would have been a better description than patronising.

thierry henry

International Coach
If that wasn't your intent, then it reads very differently to me. Maybe condescending would have been a better description than patronising.
I can't see how the intent is anything other than to acknowledge the limitations of my own post, i.e. that I was assuming you meant something that I had no real reason to believe you meant. From now on I'll just stick to attacking straw men if that's what you prefer.

HeathDavisSpeed

I can't see how the intent is anything other than to acknowledge the limitations of my own post, i.e. that I was assuming you meant something that I had no real reason to believe you meant. From now on I'll just stick to attacking straw men if that's what you prefer.
Nah. That's okay. I see what you mean, but like many things on the interwebs, I took it very differently - that you were questioning my dubious use of English in a sarcastic manner. I apologise for misconstruing your post.

thierry henry

International Coach
Nah. That's okay. I see what you mean, but like many things on the interwebs, I took it very differently - that you were questioning my dubious use of English in a sarcastic manner. I apologise for misconstruing your post.
No probs, I have a need to call someone online a **** on a fairly regular basis tbh, so thanks for being that guy

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Heef clearly just suggesting that Watling's batting is a selection of all-time greatest hits tbf.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Will be avoiding dark alleys from now on...