• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in India 2010

Athlai

Not Terrible
It would go a little something like

18.1 Jeets bowls an atrocious ball and Sehwag smashes it into the stands back over Patel's head.

18.2 Jeets with another dire ball and Sehwag gets hold of it! But whats this! Jeets has somehow managed to get a hand on it! WHAT A CATCH! WHAT A PLAYER! JEETAN PATEL WILL YOU MARRY ME?!

First prize!
First prize!
First prize!

And then I wake up.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Great to see Jamie How back. Though I much prefer him as a potential test opener to whatever he might do in ODIs.

Disappointed with the way they've treated Watling. He was a 'promising opener' everyone had talked about... had good performances for domestic and NZ A. Then debuts in the test side and scored a fifty early on (even if unusual circumstances). Continues and struggles a bit. Then he's picked for the ODI side for some very odd reason. Struggles there, not surprisingly as IMO is more of a 4 or 5-day player. Suddenly everyone is calling for his head. Dropped from the ODI side. Dropped from the test side after failing twice in one match batting at 3 instead of opening. Last series against Australia scored 0, 33, 46, 24, which I think you'd say is not bad by NZ opener standards.

He must be confused. He's not the only one either. Now he'll disappear back into the domestic cricket vacuum for X more years and no more words will be written about him, while everyone shifts their attention to the next 'promising young player' - perhaps Josh Brodie.

To use a good Australian expression: It gives me the ****s.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
With the McGuns showing promise - we are only one player away from having a competitive top 7. Just need a number 3. Test quality players are so few and far between we may have to make our peace with not having anybody until Kane can move there - then the search will go on for a number 6.

Good post Straw man.

Watling should have played in the 2nd test - Guptil's 85 although crucial to the outcome of the game was a major fluke - given that the was called back by a no ball.
He (Watling) should have been given the whole series.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Great to see Jamie How back. Though I much prefer him as a potential test opener to whatever he might do in ODIs.

Disappointed with the way they've treated Watling. He was a 'promising opener' everyone had talked about... had good performances for domestic and NZ A. Then debuts in the test side and scored a fifty early on (even if unusual circumstances). Continues and struggles a bit. Then he's picked for the ODI side for some very odd reason. Struggles there, not surprisingly as IMO is more of a 4 or 5-day player. Suddenly everyone is calling for his head. Dropped from the ODI side. Dropped from the test side after failing twice in one match batting at 3 instead of opening. Last series against Australia scored 0, 33, 46, 24, which I think you'd say is not bad by NZ opener standards.

He must be confused. He's not the only one either. Now he'll disappear back into the domestic cricket vacuum for X more years and no more words will be written about him, while everyone shifts their attention to the next 'promising young player' - perhaps Josh Brodie.

I agree to an extent. You can't expect everyone to be a success from the start. Look at McIntosh. With the number of people that were calling for his head after the 2009 India series, and at the mid-point of the Pakistan series last summer, its amazing he's still there. But with McCullum opening now, and Williamson likely to move up the top sometime in the next 18 months, it's not entirely clear where Watling fits in anymore. Hard on him to be sure, but if Guptill lives down to my expectations, I imagine it might not be too long before he gets another shot.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator

Watling's actually done a lot better in one day cricket domestically, although his strike rate there is poor.

Athlai

Not Terrible
So I think the only position under fire for the next is Arnel, he didn't do too badly but I really think we'll see either Jeets return or one of Franklin/McKay coming into the team. I'm pretty much happy with any selection though.

I suppose Watling in for Hopkins could happen but that is a massive long shot. Patel to win us the match though.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Watling's actually done a lot better in one day cricket domestically, although his strike rate there is poor.
Yup thats the irony about the comments that Watling's supposedly better suited to the longer format of the game, because his record at one day domestic level is far better than his first class record. I agree that an issue is the OD strike rate (of 69), a quick investigation shows that none of his OD hundreds have a strike rate in excess of 100, and he tends to start slowly too.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
So I think the only position under fire for the next is Arnel, he didn't do too badly but I really think we'll see either Jeets return or one of Franklin/McKay coming into the team. I'm pretty much happy with any selection though.

I suppose Watling in for Hopkins could happen but that is a massive long shot. Patel to win us the match though.
Vote for seeing McKay get a run if we are replacing Arnel.

Also vote that Bennet is dropped from all future tours.

Flem274*

123/5
Watling is crap against spin. I don't think Guptill will have much test success for a while either mind, but Watling wasn't exactly helping his cause. Guptill is pretty middling backup though it must be said.

Also, apart from one good season with Northern, he's been less than spectacular, so I think it might turn out to be a case of he's not ready yet. He's like the 6th best opener in NZ and is still a young bloke, so it's not that surprising he has struggled a bit with going on after getting starts.

He should be in the frame for ODIs though. He's getting good at being a limited overs anchor up top for ND.

Flem274*

123/5
Vote for seeing McKay get a run if we are replacing Arnel.

Also vote that Bennet is dropped from all future tours.
Whaaat? Bennett is a bolter, but you don't drop a guy based off one test, especially when he was the only bloke in the first innings not to get smashed by Sehwag.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Whaaat? Bennett is a bolter, but you don't drop a guy based off one test, especially when he was the only bloke in the first innings not to get smashed by Sehwag.
Was making this comment based on how injury prone he is - he only got through 15 overs and his injury potentially cost us a result. Can't carry a risk like him in a 4 man attack you must agree...

Flem274*

123/5
Was making this comment based on how injury prone he is - he only got through 15 overs and his injury potentially cost us a result. Can't carry a risk like him in a 4 man attack you must agree...
Bennett in a four man attack (three seamers and Vettori) plus Kane and Ryder is doable. He won't fall over every game. He's not Bond. He is injury prone but not extremely prone.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
SS, sorry to go OT and be ignorant, but who's in the "Wheel of Mediocrity"? I can notice Sharma, Patel, Pathan, Agakar and Mithun, but dunno who else.

thierry henry

International Coach
Disappointed with the way they've treated Watling. He was a 'promising opener' everyone had talked about... had good performances for domestic and NZ A.
This is the crux of the issue really. His performances in domestic 4-Day cricket have not been good at all and never warranted a place in the team in the first place.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Personally, and it looks like I'm alone here, but Watling is even less of a one day player than a first class player. He scores too slowly and piles pressure on his partner. His batting style is much better suited to compilation than the free-scoring required in one dayers

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Bennett in a four man attack (three seamers and Vettori) plus Kane and Ryder is doable. He won't fall over every game. He's not Bond. He is injury prone but not extremely prone.
Bowling Ryder is asking him to injure himself as well - and Kane is not ready to bowl 10 overs in a day based on his current form.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Personally, and it looks like I'm alone here, but Watling is even less of a one day player than a first class player. He scores too slowly and piles pressure on his partner. His batting style is much better suited to compilation than the free-scoring required in one dayers
Watching him I'd agree, but he just doesn't score many runs in First Class cricket. Realistically, he's probably just not a very good batsman at this point. He scores too slowly in one day cricket and against the attacking fields of four-day cricket, he doesn't score enough runs. He has a good technique and he had a promising season last year but it's not much to pick a player on; hopefully he can build on it in the next few seasons because although I think he's crap I do like watching him bat (not against spinners).