• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* First Test at the Gabba

Howe_zat

Audio File
I'm not surprised. Considering everyone seems to be struggling with the Gabba pitch this year, including Ponting himself.

"Harris had Jon Wells lbw in the opening over and thought he had Ponting with an lbw appeal early in his innings. Ponting was dismissed instead by James Hopes when he edged to Chris Lynn at third slip"

Sheffield Shield: Ryan Harris shines in front of Ricky Ponting on rainy day | Tasmania v Queensland, Sheffield Shield, Hobart, 1st day Report | Cricket News | Cricinfo.com

I'm looking forward to what looks like a tight, low-scoring match.

EDIT: This post is mostly bollocks.

Last edited:

TumTum

Banned
I'm not surprised. Considering everyone seems to be struggling with the Gabba pitch this year, including Ponting himself.

"Harris had Jon Wells lbw in the opening over and thought he had Ponting with an lbw appeal early in his innings. Ponting was dismissed instead by James Hopes when he edged to Chris Lynn at third slip"

Sheffield Shield: Ryan Harris shines in front of Ricky Ponting on rainy day | Tasmania v Queensland, Sheffield Shield, Hobart, 1st day Report | Cricket News | Cricinfo.com

I'm looking forward to what looks like a tight, low-scoring match.
Since when is the Gabba at Hobart?

Howe_zat

Audio File
Er... Yep, there's me being a dumbass. Sorry, ignore, saw Ponting talking about the Gabba while playing against QLD and jumped to conclusions.

TumTum

Banned
For me it depends if we get much sunshine before this Test. Last Ashes it was baking in the sun, hence was a very sporting wicket. This time I reckon it will be a bowlers paradise.

Last edited:

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Looked on the news like they chose a random spot on the square at Bellerieve and decided to put them stumps in there.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Predictable that he would say that,hardly going to come out and say England will thrive in the conditions is he.

If i was Ponting i'd be more concerned by his own record of 1 ton in his last 16 tests and he reckons Cook is under pressure but he has 4 in his last 11 games.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Predictable that he would say that,hardly going to come out and say England will thrive in the conditions is he.

If i was Ponting i'd be more concerned by his own record of 1 ton in his last 16 tests and he reckons Cook is under pressure but he has 4 in his last 11 games.
Fair point, but I wouldn't be too hasty dismissing Ponting's form. Despite not getting hundreds he has 4 fifties in his last 5 innings, he was Aus' best bat in India.

Cook, like North, seems to get nothing between hundreds, hence why he's under pressure so often.

Spark

Global Moderator
He's actually not looked out of form. What's concerning is precisely that he's not converting - he used to be one of the best, if not the best, in converting a start into a hundred. I think it was in 2003 or so I saw a stat that showed his average once he got past 20 was 80 or something - so rather like North, except whilst North is fail fail fail fail fail win, Ponting was win win fail win fail win win. But now he's just throwing it away, playing across to otherwise inoccuous straight ones, chasing wide balls that there is zero need to play at, pulling balls that are miles outside off and hence should probably be cut or even better left alone, or (worst of all) running himself out.

howardj

International Coach
For me it depends if we get much sunshine before this Test. Last Ashes it was baking in the sun, hence was a very sporting wicket. This time I reckon it will be a bowlers paradise.
Understand your thinking, but Kevin Mitchell doesn't do bowlers' paradises for Test wickets. The pitch is always to the extreme East of the square (it's to the West in Shield cricket) and is generally a very good batting wicket. Even in 2003 against India when there was a ton of rain, it was still a ripping wicket - Ganguly peeled off a century and Martyn and Waugh from memory batted beautifully.

It may be sporting in the first session or so, but I will be stunned if it doesn't flatten out into a ripping cricket wicket.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
The only time we need to worry about Chimpy's form is the first dig of the first Test. After that, we can focus on the rest of the filth.

sifter132

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
He's actually not looked out of form. What's concerning is precisely that he's not converting - he used to be one of the best, if not the best, in converting a start into a hundred. I think it was in 2003 or so I saw a stat that showed his average once he got past 20 was 80 or something - so rather like North, except whilst North is fail fail fail fail fail win, Ponting was win win fail win fail win win. But now he's just throwing it away, playing across to otherwise inoccuous straight ones, chasing wide balls that there is zero need to play at, pulling balls that are miles outside off and hence should probably be cut or even better left alone, or (worst of all) running himself out.
This is the one that annoys me most. Ricky's turned into a ball watcher. Put your head down mate :@ Flintoff would never have caught him short last Ashes if he'd run hard instead of watching it.

inbox24

International Debutant
Honestly if Australia pick any of North, Siddle, White, Smith, McKay, Marsh for any of the Ashes tests, then they will at the very minimum lose those tests, if not the whole series. North should never play internationals again and the damage he has done by being in the team is greater than the retirement of say an Adam Gilchrist or Matt Hayden. At least guys like White and Smith have some potential for the future. The only way we can beat England this summer is to have a squad like this:

Hughes
Katich
Watson
Ponting
Clarke
Hussey
Hussey
Haddin
Bollinger
Hilfenhaus
Harris
Clark
Johnson (Maybe)
Hauritz

With guys like Ferguson to come in for any injuries. I still can't believe they dropped Clark. Sure on an absolute road in India he may not have that much success, but any hint of green and he can run through teams. With David Hussey at 6 you won't have a giveaway wicket as compared to North.

Last edited:

Julian87

State Captain
Honestly doubt anyone else (now that hodge is retired) would walk straight into the middle order and do a good job from the get go in the most important test series there is. Then there's also the fact that north's bowling is about on par with Hauritz's allowing the selectors to pick 4 out and out quicks and have a reliable finger spinner on top of that.

pup11

International Coach
An English fan or the England team might just see this as a verbal jibe from Punter prior to the start of the series, but he is absolutely spot on here.
The Gabba is arguably the safest ground in the world for the Australian side, as the pitch there has always been very sporting and the bounce and pace have been true, and these are the conditions that most Australian cricketers feel pretty comfortable in and it suits their game very well.
So to put it simply, if we start losing test matches at the Gabba then we would be in real trouble.