• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* First Test at the Gabba

Julian87

State Captain
Don't call him a touche you touchebag.

Reckon we'll pick 4 quicks for a change considering Brisbane has been seaming and it may be wet. Dare say we'll name a 12 (probably already are doing that) with 5 bowlers: Johnson, Hilfenhaus, Bollinger, Hauritz, Harris/Siddle (hoping for Harris).

The top 7 will stay as is with Haddin in for Paine obviously. I'd say Hughes would be the obvious back up to Katich and bobyruncle.

howardj

International Coach
Disappointed with Siddle, myself.

He hasn't come on the way I thought he would. Definitely have Bollinger and Harris ahead of him in the pecking order.

howardj

International Coach
That's right, people tend to give him massive credit points on the basis that he'll 'run in all day'.

A good prospect, yes. But I just don't think he's quite come on as people would have hoped.

I remember in the Boxing Day Test in 2008 when he ripped through SA in one of the innings. I thought then he would go from strength to strength, but I think he's plateau-ed somewhat.

Andre

International Regular
Yeah, gotta agree with regards to Siddle - his advantage as an all-day bowler is now somewhat negated by the fact that Hilfenhaus and R Harris are both capable of bowling all day, and at this stage seem to be better options than Siddle.

Reckon the squad for the first Test will be:

Ponting (c)
Katich
Watson
Clarke
Hussey
North
Haddin
Johnson
Hauritz
R Harris
Hilfenhaus
Bollinger
Siddle.

Not the side I'd have gone for, but realistically, Hussey and North were never going to get axed for the first Test if they hadn't already IMO.

Andre

International Regular
Don't see the point of a 15 man squad, the only way they would do that is if Katich and Bollinger are still under injury coulds, which in that case Hughes and P George would be the people to round out the 15.

Can't see the selectors naming any others outside that 15, certainly not Khawaja and Ferguson - reckon they've shown their hand with the middle order, at least for the first test or 2. They'll stand their ground with Hussey and North.

My 2 cents - Hussey was done as a Test cricketer a long time ago (and I spoke of that at the time). Because they didn't make the hard call 18 months agom we'll carry him for the summer or at least the first few Tests.

North's got a bit of a mortgage on his spot, so really it's Ferguson in line to take over from Hussey but probably not till after the series, it isn't this panels style to make those sorts of changes without compelling evidence of a better player (or an experienced player) with the bat.

howardj

International Coach
Yep, naming a 15 man squad is horribly indecisive and weak in my opinion.

You barely take that many away on tours these days.

Andre

International Regular
Yep, naming a 15 man squad is horribly indecisive and weak in my opinion.

You barely take that many away on tours these days.
Yeah exactly. They've stood pretty firm up until now, can't seem them hedging a week out from the series. Only thing they might do is pick 5 quicks - Hilfenhaus/Johnson/Harris/Siddle/Bollinger - to cover for fitness concerns, and because there is geuinely very little between any of them.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Can't see Wiggy playing in Brisbane now,be a huge gamble after so long out with that type of injury to pick him after just one match.May well see him in the 2nd test if they decide to change the side but they'd be better giving him an extra week with that type of injury and having him for 4 tests than rushing him back only for him to break down in the first and miss the series.

Just my opinion,get the feeling if he was anywhere near ready he would play this week.

Sounds like Katich may miss out but that isn't such a loss as they have a ready made replacement in Hughes.Be interesting if he is in how he goes against the short ball barrage he will surely get from Broad.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Can't see Wiggy playing in Brisbane now,be a huge gamble after so long out with that type of injury to pick him after just one match.May well see him in the 2nd test if they decide to change the side but they'd be better giving him an extra week with that type of injury and having him for 4 tests than rushing him back only for him to break down in the first and miss the series.

Just my opinion,get the feeling if he was anywhere near ready he would play this week.

Sounds like Katich may miss out but that isn't such a loss as they have a ready made replacement in Hughes.Be interesting if he is in how he goes against the short ball barrage he will surely get from Broad.
Hasn't done much this season (or during his stint in England), so if he does play I unfortunately can't see him doing all that much. Whether that's related to to the short ball or just a lack of form though, I've got no idea.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, gotta agree with regards to Siddle - his advantage as an all-day bowler is now somewhat negated by the fact that Hilfenhaus and R Harris are both capable of bowling all day, and at this stage seem to be better options than Siddle.

Reckon the squad for the first Test will be:

Ponting (c)
Katich
Watson
Clarke
Hussey
North
Haddin
Johnson
Hauritz
R Harris
Hilfenhaus
Bollinger
Siddle.

Not the side I'd have gone for, but realistically, Hussey and North were never going to get axed for the first Test if they hadn't already IMO.

So sick of this illogical favouritism whereby the selectors just lock in a player regardless of recent form or runs. Just really makes me want to rip my hair out!

pup11

International Coach
Not liking the fact that Katich and Bollinger are likely to play in the 1st test with very little game time under their belt.
Also the nature of Bollinger's injury is pretty worrying, since an abdominal strain is something that can easily flare up at anytime if the injured player rushes into making a comeback.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hasn't done much this season (or during his stint in England), so if he does play I unfortunately can't see him doing all that much. Whether that's related to to the short ball or just a lack of form though, I've got no idea.
TBF he's only had the 1 shield game hasn't he? (or 2, one of which was on a raging green-top at teh Gabba)

howardj

International Coach
15 days to go.

Not fussed if it rains, though would prefer it didnt.

Just looking forward to two days on the drink, away from work!