• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Warne vs Murali Discussion

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
In my All-Time World XI, the batsman to partner Tendulkar at the top will be none other than a certain Brian Lara.

Lara had a phenomenal run both as an ODI opener and at no. 3. He was clearly the best ODI batsman (yes, better than Sachin) when he used to bat in top 3. However, after a few years he had to sacrifice top order position for the sake of, well, I don't know what (some say it was for his team, but I don't know how his team benefited by dropping the best ODI batsman in the world down the order), and his performance declined heavily, sadly.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
In my All-Time World XI, the batsman to partner Tendulkar at the top will be none other than a certain Brian Lara.

Lara had a phenomenal run both as an ODI opener and at no. 3. He was clearly the best ODI batsman (yes, better than Sachin) when he used to bat in top 3. However, after a few years he had to sacrifice top order position for the sake of, well, I don't know what (some say it was for his team, but I don't know how his team benefited by dropping the best ODI batsman in the world down the order), and his performance declined heavily, sadly.
Very interesting argument. Yes, Lara was brilliant in ODIs for a large part of the early 90s. What a pair those two would make. :drool:

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
But really, you could argue the other way as well.. That with the strength of the side, he was perhaps forced to play an ultra aggressive game which was detrimental to his own career stats.. I mean who knows what he would have achieved had he played the Tendulkar route of settling down after the first 15 and trying to play through.. He kept going for it at all times, didn't he?
AWTA. I alluded to it earlier by citing Gilchrist's test stats - 48 runs @ 82 sr - showing he probably could have scored more if he slowed down. Australia had a very strong batting line-up and Gilchrist's speed would often be the trump card. In terms of demoralising the opposition's bowlers it was priceless.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
AWTA. I alluded to it earlier by citing Gilchrist's test stats - 48 runs @ 82 sr - showing he probably could have scored more if he slowed down. Australia had a very strong batting line-up and Gilchrist's speed would often be the trump card. In terms of demoralising the opposition's bowlers it was priceless.
Extend that to Sehwag too, for me. Please :D

Cricketismylife

U19 12th Man
Hi guys I'm new to this forum. I'm huge cricket fan who appreciates good cricket the team I support being Sri Lanka. Naturally I thought I should dive into this Murali Warne debate!
It goes without saying that both are all time great bowlers, however for me Murali is definitely greater for the following reasons.

1) Murali has a better average against every team barring Pakistan.

2) Murali may have had more opportunity to take wickets than Warne, because he was part of a weaker bowling attack, but his greatness is highlighted by the fact that he kept his average so low, even though he had to often build pressure himself. In fact it is found that Warne actually performs worse in matches without Mcgrath.

3) As mentioned people go on about Zimbabwe and Bangladesh being easy scalps and while this is true, we cannot just discount those wickets completely. They are lower quality wickets, but I would point out that Zimbabwe before the 2003 world cup were not so bad, and also when Warne started his career he captured wickets against Sri Lanka, who at that point were a minnow! In addition to this Warne never had to bowl against his own batting line up and took a higher percentage of tailend wickets compared to Murali.

I saw a thread on this forum http://www.cricketweb.net/forum/cricket-chat/48524-how-valuable-wicket.html which basically proves that Murali's discount rate is SIGNIFICANTLY SUPERIOR to Warne's. Discount rate is calculate using both the bowling average and the quality of wickets taken, making the Zimbabwe and Bangladesh argument redundant

4) Although Murali's record in Australia is atrocious, it is a misleading statistic. He played 3 tests there at a time when he was nowhere near the bowler he became. The one off super test he performed well, and even though the 2 tests in 2007 were poor, it is too small a sample to judge him from.

5) ICC Test Rankings for bowlers, which is an objective measure factoring in strength of opposition and overall match situation, has Murali clearly ahead of Warne. Not only does he have a higher peak, he has spent far longer with a rating over 900, the rating for an all time great player.

6) Most batsman who faced both Murali and Warne at their peaks, claimed they found Murali harder to face. Eg Bell, Flintoff, Pieterson, Ganguly. Atherton does not count since he faced Murali before he bowled the doosra.

In summary by almost every single objective statisitical measure Murali is found to be superior to Warne. I believe a combination of a lack of media hype, the fact that Murali played for a low key side, Warne's headline personality and the fact that Warne played 36 tests v England as oppposed to 13 that Murali played, leads to a significant number of people preferring Warne. While subjectively Warne may be preferred, eg bowling style etc, in terms of pure effectiveness as a bowler Murali is noticeably better. In fact I believe Mcgrath and Murali would be a much closer comparison, than Warne and Murali

tooextracool

International Coach
6) Most batsman who faced both Murali and Warne at their peaks, claimed they found Murali harder to face. Eg Bell, Flintoff, Pieterson, Ganguly. Atherton does not count since he faced Murali before he bowled the doosra.
It is interesting the number of batsmen out there who said it was tougher to face Murali than Warne. Personally, I've always thought that Warne was the more intelligent cricketer and hence he took more wickets by out-thinking the batsman rather than by using just his natural abilities. I suppose that may or may not be true, and I guess many people are somewhat biased because they preferred watching one bowl over the other. At the end of the day, if the ones in the middle consider one bowler more difficult to face than the other than perhaps there is more merit to that than their underlying records.

Think though most people would concede to the consensus that when the ball was turning, Murali>>Warne but when it wasnt, Warne>> Murali.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Think it's pretty split actually. Sachin rates Warne, Lara rates Murali for example. As overall cricketers it's actually pretty one-sided in favour of Warne.

And disagree; Warne showed how good he he was when it was turning - he has better figures in India (despite his fitness/form problems) and in Sri Lanka than Murali for example.

Last edited:

tooextracool

International Coach
Think it's pretty split actually. Sachin rates Warne, Lara rates Murali for example. As overall cricketers it's actually pretty one-sided in favour of Warne.

And disagree; Warne showed how good he he was when it was turning - he has better figures in India (despite his fitness/form problems) and in Sri Lanka than Murali for example.
Think a lot of that has to do with Murali's last tour of India in last year when he was well past it. Murali achieved better results against India on pretty much every other tour home or away than Warne ever did.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member

Small samples. More vulnerable to outliers etc etc.

Therefore look at number of excellent performance like this one:

2nd Test: India v Sri Lanka at Delhi, Dec 10-14, 2005 | Cricket Scorecard | Cricinfo.com

And did Sachin actually rate Warne higher? This article suggests otherwise. Quoting the relevant excerpt:

Bradman, Sobers and Tendulkar all rated Muttiah Muralitharan above Warne; Glenn McGrath, Warne and Gavaskar back Tendulkar over Lara, Murali and Barry Richards go the other way - and Wasim reckons Martin Crowe better than both.

Given than Warne only dismissed Tendulkar once in 18 innings it'd be very surprising if he rated Warne higher! (Murali ftr got him thrice which again is not many but then Indian batsmen have always been murderers of spin)

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
No, Murali never had a series better than Warne did in 04 - despite Warne missing the best pitch due to injury. Also, bad form/injury really isn't a talking point as Warne faced India in several series in such condition. In fact, Murali was fine against India in Sri Lanka only a year earlier.

Generally, Warne didn't need extra turn. Bounce was a better weapon.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Going to change topic from the constant arguments for a second, have an interesting question:

Warne throughout the 90s was already seen as a great. When did Murali begin to become his rival? Not statistically, but when the the media, cricket experts and general public begin to speak about the Murali vs. Warne rivalry?

Was trying to think of the exact year the other day. 2002?

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Think a lot of that has to do with Murali's last tour of India in last year when he was well past it. Murali achieved better results against India on pretty much every other tour home or away than Warne ever did.
Indeed. Other than the match I referred to in my earlier post, here are a couple of very good bowling performances against India and influenced the outcome of the match:

1st Test: Sri Lanka v India at Colombo (SSC), Jul 23-26, 2008 | Cricket Scorecard | Cricinfo.com
1st Test: Sri Lanka v India at Galle, Jul 18-22, 2010 | Cricket Scorecard | Cricinfo.com

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Going to change topic from the constant arguments for a second, have an interesting question:

Warne throughout the 90s was already seen as a great. When did Murali begin to become his rival? Not statistically, but when the the media, cricket experts and general public begin to speak about the Murali vs. Warne rivalry?

Was trying to think of the exact year the other day. 2002?
Pretty close I think. Wisden came up with it's 100 bowlers lists at about the same time and put Murali on top. That's as far bask as I can think of any notable recognition of Murali's greatness.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
I saw a thread on this forum http://www.cricketweb.net/forum/cricket-chat/48524-how-valuable-wicket.html which basically proves that Murali's discount rate is SIGNIFICANTLY SUPERIOR to Warne's. Discount rate is calculate using both the bowling average and the quality of wickets taken, making the Zimbabwe and Bangladesh argument redundant
Thanks for referring to the thread I created :D

I personally think that that does sort of settle the scores, however I don't think the difference between the two is as big as the 7% difference suggests. That nonetheless makes it harder to argue a case for Warne than for Murali. Personal opinion!