• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in India 2010

Howsie

International Captain
I think Howsie has actually seen him bowl - he was on the 140 clicks side of the debate IIRC.
Yeah, he's definitely fast enough to be a genuine option with the ball at test level. I haven't seen a lot of him with the bat but he made the New Zealand under 19 training squad years back as an opening batsmen so you'd have to think his record with the bat to date isn't some sort of fluke.

M0rphin3

International Debutant
New Zealand in India 2010-11
Gambhir, Ishant and Laxman return for Tests
ESPNcricinfo staff

October 25, 2010

Text size: A | A Gautam Gambhir, VVS Laxman and Ishant Sharma have recovered from injuries sustained during the Test series against Australia and are included in India's squad for the three-Test series against New Zealand, which begins on November 4 in Ahmedabad. Gambhir and Ishant sustained knee injuries during the first Test in Mohali while Laxman, who led India to a thrilling win in the same game, batted with a hurt back. All three players missed the second Test in Bangalore.

Cheteshwar Pujara, who made his debut in the Bangalore Test and played a crucial role in India's successful chase with a fluent 72, retained his place.

India: MS Dhoni (capt), Virender Sehwag (vice-capt), Gautam Gambhir, Suresh Raina, Cheteshwar Pujara, M Vijay, Rahul Dravid, Sachin Tendulkar, VVS Laxman, Harbhajan Singh, Zaheer Khan, Ishant Sharma, Sreesanth, Pragyan Ojha, Amit Mishra

India v New Zealand: Gambhir, Ishant and Laxman return for Tests | Cricket News | India v New Zealand | Cricinfo.com

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Anything Less than a 3-0 in test series will be a great performance for nz,looking forward to watching bennet.
NZ are a side that thrives on surprising people.. Most of their players have amazing spirit tbh.. Awesome attitude towards the game with the majority of them. :)

BeeGee

International Captain
I'm worried about Hopkins dodgy keeping. His keeping is pretty average, especially standing up to the stumps where he will be a lot during this Indian series.
AWTA.

Yeah, his average keeping will see him get the ass before his batting imo.
AWTA. What are the odds that he'll drop a catch or miss a stumping off one of the Indian batting stars, who will then go on to make a bazillion runs. Confidence is low.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
His FC average is four runs higher than Adam Parore, who I believe batted at 7 for a fair bit of his career.
I guess the school of thought I am going by is that if Hopkins can't live up to his List A average then he is unlikely to live up to his admittedly decent FC average.

Hopkins List A avg 25
Hopkins FC avg 36
Hopkins ODI avg since Jan 1 2009 18 (14.5 overall)

Parore List A avg 27
Parore FC avg 33
Parore ODI avg 26
Parore Test avg 26

Parore's and Hopkins List A averages were similar yet Parore at least lived up to his List A potential. If Parore can play to his List A potential in ODIs why can't Hopkins. I suspect it is because Parore > Hopkins at facing international bowling.

And if Parore averaged 26 in tests then I reckon that Hopkins won't achieve this level. And if he doesn't then he shouldn't be a number 7.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Never heard of him.
awta

:laugh:

Someone from CW needs to go to a match he plays and see what exactly the **** he bowls like. Accounts vary from dibbly dobbly swing bowler to bang it in at 140 clicks with seam movement. Likewise some say his batting has real potential (was an opener at youth level apparently) and others say he's a lower order hitter and no more.

I think I need to post **** about him. if he's quick, the fast bowlers club will sign up again and we'll know what he actually bowls.
Sam Wells? He's my mate's cousin and my mate is an outstanding man, so Wells has gotta be alright.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I guess the school of thought I am going by is that if Hopkins can't live up to his List A average then he is unlikely to live up to his admittedly decent FC average.

Hopkins List A avg 25
Hopkins FC avg 36

Parore List A avg 27
Parore FC avg 33
Parore ODI avg 26
Parore Test avg 26

Parore's and Hopkins List A averages were similar yet Parore at least lived up to his List A potential. If Parore can play to his List A potential in ODIs why can't Hopkins. I suspect it is because Parore > Hopkins at facing international bowling.

And if Parore averaged 26 in tests then I reckon that Hopkins won't achieve this level. And if he doesn't then he shouldn't be a number 7.
That makes sense.

But Hopkins has often had to come in at the death for NZ and hit out, which has inevitably led to him getting out. In the mediocre Auckland List A lineup, though, he's been able to come in earlier and get himself in.

He may do better without that boundary-hitting pressure on his shoulders.

Flem274*

123/5

Hopkins List A avg 25
Hopkins FC avg 36

Parore List A avg 27
Parore FC avg 33
Parore ODI avg 26
Parore Test avg 26

Because ODIs=Tests for all NZ international cricketers.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Was Nathan McCullum ever in contention for the test squad?. I reckon he would have more use in India than Patel, who is likely to be smoked like how Hauritz was.

Flem274*

123/5
lol aussie.

Jeetan Patel has always been the better bowler between him and Nathan McCullum, whose deliveries never vary from the dart. NcCullum is very much an ODI option only and there will be many spinners ahead of him I would hope.

If NcCullum played tests in India, it would be worse than Hauritz.

Last edited:

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
lol aussie.

Jeetan Patel has always been the better bowler between him and Nathan McCullum, whose deliveries never vary from the dart. NcCullum is very much an ODI option only and there will be many spinners ahead of him I would hope.

If NcCullum played tests in India, it would be worse than Hauritz.
I can certainly see Patel being just a worse a Hauritz as well. Patel is just a crap as Hauritz.

Based on what i've seen of them in international cricket, i certainly think McCullum could be a useful option in tests on turners, which will be present in IND. The INDs could smash him too of course, but his all-rounder backage could give you some useful runs down the order on occassions. Since with Vettori likely to bat @ # 6, in order to accomodate 5 bowlers, Hopkins an unknown coming @ 7 & none of your bowlers really can bat consistently well (especially if Southee is left out), thats a very long tail you will have, so N McCullum could help to balance that out a bit. Plus i have seen McCullum flight the ball in international cricket & a few domestic T20s in England this year, he certainly has more to his bowling armony than just darts.

McIntosh
Watling/Guptil
B McCullum
Taylor
Ryder
Vettori
Hopkins
N McCullum
Martin
Arnel
Southee/McKay/Bennett

Not sure, how your top-order is going to be structured. So i'm guessing. Picking N McCullum would not have made NZ more likely to win ther series or anything, it could have given NZ a slightly better balance for this specific series IMO.

Flem274*

123/5
Nathan McCullum would be a dire selection. He's not the third best spinner in the country, and even if he was, he shouldn't be picked even if he's a gun fielder and can bat. He is a top List A spinner but does not have the assets for test cricket.