• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket on YouTube

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Such an under-rated great, and a true gentleman as well.

EDIT : Was that ball at Edgbaston BTW, batsmen have often had problems sighting the ball out of the bowler's hand over there.
Have to check back. But IIRC Walsh got thorpe twice in that series with such slower balls, that was one of them.

robelinda

International Vice-Captain

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
YouTube - Hrishikesh Kanitkar 1998

What a match this was and what a shot by Hrishikesh Kanitkar to win it .
Tremendous rivalry and intensity between the two teams back then.

Kanitkar literally spent the rest of his career living off that one shot. He used to be a off spinner who could bat in domestic cricket ,but became a prolific run getter in the domestic circuit after that one shot though.
Could not cut it at the International level though.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member

Kanitkar literally spent the rest of his career living off that one shot. He used to be a off spinner who could bat in domestic cricket ,but became a prolific run getter in the domestic circuit after that one shot though.
Ye i remember him & Vijay Bhardwaj (spell check) coming to AUS 99/00 with alot of hype & they looked way short of international quality.

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
Probably. My memory of the SRI leg of that 98 summer is pretty vague outside of Murali spinning out ENG ATM.
Pretty sure they played a tri series with SA and Eng for the one dayers, significant because it was the first one in england, and the first time they had used coloured clothing in england for one dayers, only about 20 years late!!! Though I recall SA playing 3 one dayers too vs Eng, I dunno, boring summer, struggling to remember!

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
YouTube - Sachin's Rare video....4 sixes to abdul qadir.

Sachin Tendulkar was in his debut series.
The official one-dayer had been abandoned because of bad light and a 20-over exhibition match organised instead. Pakistan put on 157 and India only got close thanks to an 18-ball 53 from a 16-year-old Sachin Tendulkar. One over from Abdul Qadir read: 6, 0, 4, 6 6 6. It announced Tendulkar to the world.

Really rare footage from that match 1:20 onwards and Qadir talking about it.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!

This was awesome. India-Pak in the '90s was something else.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
YouTube - Sachin's Rare video....4 sixes to abdul qadir.

Sachin Tendulkar was in his debut series.
The official one-dayer had been abandoned because of bad light and a 20-over exhibition match organised instead. Pakistan put on 157 and India only got close thanks to an 18-ball 53 from a 16-year-old Sachin Tendulkar. One over from Abdul Qadir read: 6, 0, 4, 6 6 6. It announced Tendulkar to the world.

Really rare footage from that match 1:20 onwards and Qadir talking about it.
I remember having seen that live. That was an age ago!

Altaican

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
YouTube - Sachin Tendulkar launches assault on great fast bowlers of his time - McGrath & Donald

I saw this game in full ATT. But i should have taped it, since i've never seen replays of it since. The way Tendy played McGrath & Donald that afternoon was superb.
I saw that match. It was the Diana memorial exhibition ODI match. McGrath, Donald and Srinath were bowling to Tendulkar. All of them had pretty decent spells. None of them were mauled as badly as that 1-minute video clip (they cut and pasted a couple of boundaries) suggests. Both Donald and McGrath were actually hit by Aravinda De Silva. Donald's first spell (mainly to Tendulkar) was 6 overs and 17 runs and McGrath first spell was 6 overs and 21 runs, and Srinath's was 6 overs and 23 runs. The bowler that was massacred by Tendulkar in that match was Aamir Sohail whose 2 overs cost nearly 40 runs. Kumble was also spanked by Tendulkar in that match. The contest became meaningless after Aamir Sohail's 2 overs. I am certain there should be far better examples to show Tendulkar's capability against great pace attacks than this exhibition ODI match!

Last edited:

smash84

The Tiger King
I saw that match. It was the Diana memorial exhibition ODI match. McGrath, Donald and Srinath were bowling to Tendulkar. All of them had pretty decent spells. None of them were mauled as badly as that 1-minute video clip (they cut and pasted a couple of boundaries) suggests. Both Donald and McGrath were actually hit by Aravinda De Silva. Donald's first spell (mainly to Tendulkar) was 6 overs and 17 runs and McGrath first spell was 6 overs and 21 runs, and Srinath's was 6 overs and 23 runs. The bowler that was massacred by Tendulkar in that match was Aamir Sohail whose 2 overs cost nearly 40 runs. Kumble was also spanked by Tendulkar in that match. The contest became meaningless after Aamir Sohail's 2 overs. I am certain there should be far better examples to show Tendulkar's capability against great pace attacks than this exhibition ODI match!
So true. I think that Tendulkar is probably the best player of pace in sub-continent at the moment (well, I will put him on par with Dravid). I too believe that some other knocks of Tendy can be a better example of him against pace.