• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Test Team World Rankings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Yes its a race. 9 men (9 test playing nations) in this 800 m run. AUS/IND/SA are the leading the pack, with all three running very close to each othe. But the race is not completed yet, since we can only have 1 winner at the end when they reach the finish line.
You mean when cricket ceases to exist as a sport?

taipan1

U19 12th Man
Looks like you did not read what the argument was about then. And your lack of explanation made me assume you were talking about what I was thinking. Be clear next time. Thanks.

Assume away.

Anyone who thinks that India are undisputedly the number one team in the world, based on a deeply flawed ranking system, is beyond help in my opinion.

taipan1

U19 12th Man
Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Can't please every one every time I guess.
So you think 2 test series are good for the game?

Unfortunately we will never again see calssic 5 test series between SA and Aus, because of CA's refusal to give up the boxing day test at the MCG

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
That has never been the definition of #1 in cricket. Ever. #1 is based on whatever period you are in.

Anyway now I'm done because we're not even having a cricket discussion here, but a language debate which is highly silly.
Well then you & others are way of in your cricket history then.

All i know is 10, 20, 50 years from now no one will ever remember this so called # 1 period from IND, by whatever margin you wish to claim they are.

Also if next year if India lose in SA, WI, ENG. Then last 3 years of results which has propelled them to # 1 based on the ranking system. Wil fall flat on its face.

Last edited:

Shri

Mr. Glass
So you think 2 test series are good for the game?

Unfortunately we will never again see calssic 5 test series between SA and Aus, because of CA's refusal to give up the boxing day test at the MCG
2 test series > 7 ODI series.

BCCI cut the originally planned 7 ODI series to play tests even when they knew they would lose revenue from tickets. Don't if it is good for the game but its damn well a step in the right direction.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Interesting twist. SA failed to beat India in India, and that downgrades them?

Some might say, India failing to win at home might count for more.
Well yea. Between SRI 2006 - AUS 2009 (@ home). SA where basically unbeated in test cricket. If they had managed to beat India over the course of those series (they came VERY close to), along with beating AUS @ home in AUS 2009. They would have conquered all challenges home/away & they clearly would have been the undisputed # 1 in this post AUS 95-2006/07 # 1 decline.

But given they slipped up in IND tiwce& AUS @ home. Plus drawing in ENG last year (although injuries to key player in that series played a role in this). That downgrades them & proves why its all very even ATM in tests.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Assume away.

Anyone who thinks that India are undisputedly the number one team in the world, based on a deeply flawed ranking system, is beyond help in my opinion.
If there is a contest going on people will keep taking the lead and others will fall back, like in a race. India are ahead atm and are rightfully called no.1 based on rankings that are calculated in the best possible way atm.
Your comprehension skills amaze me tstl.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
The very fact that you guys need to constantly qualify "#1" with the adjective "undisputedly" shows that you're fighting a lost battle.

taipan1

U19 12th Man
2 test series > 7 ODI series.

BCCI cut the originally planned 7 ODI series to play tests even when they knew they would lose revenue from tickets. Don't if it is good for the game but its damn well a step in the right direction.
Some might say the BCCI cut the ODI series to fit in rubbish 2 match series, in an attempt to hold onto the no 1 ranking.

But I would never be as cynical as that.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Some might say the BCCI cut the ODI series to fit in rubbish 2 match series, in an attempt to hold onto the no 1 ranking.

We have hosted a minnow like SA and prepared a dustbowl instead of hosting Australia in pitches with variable bounce and little turn if we wanted to hold on to our #1 position in my humble opinion.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member

Cynical but the truth unfortunately. If they weren't ranked # 1 according to the ranking system, that test series would never have happened. But of course i dont blame them, since another team would have done the same, since at least it meant more test cricket isntead of a long useless ODI series. Which we all where delighted to have instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.