• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa Domestic season 2010-11

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Not that big. SA now have a slighttttttt edge, given the form of Kallis ATM. Otherwise its just about even i'd say.

Smith
Petersen
Amla
Kallis
De Villiers
Prince
Boucher

Best SA Top 7 of the 90s: 1st Test: South Africa v England at Johannesburg, Nov 25-28, 1999 | Cricket Scorecard | Cricinfo.com

Kirsten
Gibbs
Kallis
Cullinan
Cronje
Rhodes
Klusener
I think it's a fairly comfortable win for the current lineup, especially given that Kallis only hit his peak after 2000 or a few years after that.

popepouri

State Vice-Captain
Klusener wasn't a poor test bowler at all. From 1996-2000 he was arguably the best test & ODI all-rounder in the world.
In ODIs I agree. In tests, no he wasn't. After the Kolkata test, he was a holding bowler. Could barely get a wicket.

Plus Adams had his days in the 90s. But even so SA hardly ever used a spinner much in the 90s. generally always a an all-pace attack. Symcox was the most used spinner & he was quite good.
They preferred going in with a spinner. 42 out of the 51 tests they played between 1995 and 2000 involved Symcox or Adams. Adams was used more than Symcox.

I liked Symcox and Adams but I don't think he's clearly better than Harris or even Botha. All four are mediocre SA spinners IMO.

How was SAs middle-order in the 90s dodgy?
SA had the reputation of collapsing with the lower order having to cleaning up the mess. This was based on the fact they usually fielded the majority of their ODI squad. IMO they had the best ODI squad but that didn't translate well to tests. The figures speak for themselves. Hansie averaged 35 odd, Jonty the same. Klusener wasn't much better, he averaged in the 30s. The number 6 spot especially caused concern for SA for a while. MacKenzie and Dippenaar fought for it for a while and they both averaged in the 30s as well. There were question marks after you got through Kallis and Cullinan.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
I think it's a fairly comfortable win for the current lineup, especially given that Kallis only hit his peak after 2000 or a few years after that.
Man for man comparison of all the other players except Kallis & all would be even & in some cases the SA 90s are better.

Kirsten 90s = Smith now
Gibbs late 90s>> Petersen now
Kallis 90s <<< Kallis now
Cullinan 90s >= Amla now
Cronje 90s >= Prince now
Rhodes 90s << De Villiers
Klusenrer late 90s >> Boucher now

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Man for man comparison of all the other players except Kallis & all would be even & in some cases the SA 90s are better.

Kirsten 90s = Smith now
Gibbs late 90s>> Petersen now
Kallis 90s <<< Kallis now
Cullinan 90s >= Amla now
Cronje 90s >= Prince now
Rhodes 90s << De Villiers
Klusenrer late 90s >> Boucher now
Disagree with quite a few of those, but I don't think individual comparisons is the way to go anyway. The current lineup has proven its solidity and reliability much more comprehensively than the 90's lineup, in a variety of conditions. You could do similar on-paper comparisons for many sides in different eras, but comparing the averages or peaks do not tell you how the batting units performed as a whole.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
In ODIs I agree. In tests, no he wasn't. After the Kolkata test, he was a holding bowler. Could barely get a wicket.
And he did that holding role quite effectively. Just like Craig Matthes before him. He didn't need to take a bag of wickets with Donald/Pollock doing most of the work & taking the majority oft the wickets.

They preferred going in with a spinner. 42 out of the 51 tests they played between 1995 and 2000 involved Symcox or Adams. Adams was used more than Symcox.
I liked Symcox and Adams but I don't think he's clearly better than Harris or even Botha. All four are mediocre SA spinners IMO.

Symcox was clearly the best spinner SA have had since readmission.

Off all the useful/decent SA spinners that have played tests since readmisson in Symcox, Boje, Adams, Eskeen, Henderson all where better than Harris IMO. (although you can argue not much is between him and Henderson).

Harris is only better than the "utter trash duo" of Peterson, Botha.

As i said Harris has benefited in the last 3 years of being part of a 5-man attack & Smith has used him cleverly. If Kallis stops bowling & Harris has to bowl as part of 4-man attack he will be exposed.

SA had the reputation of collapsing with the lower order having to cleaning up the mess. This was based on the fact they usually fielded the majority of their ODI squad. IMO they had the best ODI squad but that didn't translate well to tests. The figures speak for themselves. Hansie averaged 35 odd, Jonty the same. Klusener wasn't much better, he averaged in the 30s. The number 6 spot especially caused concern for SA for a while. MacKenzie and Dippenaar fought for it for a while and they both averaged in the 30s as well. There were question marks after you got through Kallis and Cullinan.
I guess i'd have to agree to disagree here.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Disagree with quite a few of those, but I don't think individual comparisons is the way to go anyway. The current lineup has proven its solidity and reliability much more comprehensively than the 90's lineup, in a variety of conditions. You could do similar on-paper comparisons for many sides in different eras, but comparing the averages or peaks do not tell you how the batting units performed as a whole.
Well its not SA where that good throughout the 2000s. Its only after 2006 (between SRI 2006 - AUS 2009) when SA went unbeaten for 3 years winning in ENG & AUS for eg, that SA batting was really that solid.

So you basically have to go on the 3 year peak of the current setup vs that similar 2-3 year peak of the specific SA late 90s batting line-up. Which outside of Kallis currently, its fairly even.

popepouri

State Vice-Captain
And he did that holding role quite effectively. Just like Craig Matthes before him. He didn't need to take a bag of wickets with Donald/Pollock doing most of the work & taking the majority oft the wickets.
So does players like Chris Harris and Paul Collingwood. That doesn't make then one of the great test allrounders in the world.

Symcox was clearly the best spinner SA have had since readmission.
What did he do? Out of the 20 test matches he played in, what are his achievements? Harris has 3 fifers with a sixer against Australia on a non-turning wicket.

It's irrelevant. None of them are really that good. If he was the best, that makes him by comparison the thinnest kid at fat camp.

As i said Harris has benefited in the last 3 years of being part of a 5-man attack & Smith has used him cleverly. If Kallis stops bowling & Harris has to bowl as part of 4-man attack he will be exposed.
Same was Symcox. Played in 5 man attacks.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
So does players like Chris Harris and Paul Collingwood. That doesn't make then one of the great test allrounders in the world.
Im not sure hwo you managed to compare Klusener to Harris & Collingwood.

But circa 96-2000 the only all-rounders comparable to Klusener where Cairs & McMillan. With Cairns being the best.

Some even called McMillian the best all-rounder during the period & he never even took a 5 wicket haul with the ball. His role with the ball was very similar to Klusener.

What did he do? Out of the 20 test matches he played in, what are his achievements? Harris has 3 fifers with a sixer against Australia on a non-turning wicket.
It's irrelevant. None of them are really that good. If he was the best, that makes him by comparison the thinnest kid at fat camp.

The old adage. You just had to watch them bowl to know Symcox was the best of the bunch - although he wasn't anything superb. Symcox did well when the conditions suited him. He ripped it a long way tan Harris. He was 33 when he was selected to the SAF side, might have been much better in his youth. Add to that he is probably the best slw bowling all rounder in recent times together with Vettori and Shakib Al Hasan.

Plus that 6 for Harris took vs AUS @ Capetown was definately on a turning last day wicket

Same was Symcox. Played in 5 man attacks.
Yea but i'd back Symcox to be more effective if he had to play in 4-man attack than Harris currently.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Symcox was an average spinner but a great competitor. Harro is and will go down as head and shoulders the better bowler

Quaggas

State Captain
"Silver duck," too, too bad. Get in a mental coach, or does he already have one?

Tahir doing well, I see, and the Titans' top order is not too shabby....

taipan1

U19 12th Man
Are you talking about the SA first class system or the international team? Make up your mind.

I doesn't really matter though because the current test team has been way more successful than the one youpresente.

Well you did say SA had no one capable of bowling over 130 in 2000.

So lets also ignore the likes of Terbrugge, Pretorius, Ngam, Ntini, Willoughby, Hall, Bryson, Nel, Elworthy, Hayward, Dawson etc who were playing at that time. And the test players did also play some FC cricket in that era

popepouri

State Vice-Captain
Well you did say SA had no one capable of bowling over 130 in 2000.
I said no one? Really?

So lets also ignore the likes of Terbrugge, Pretorius, Ngam, Ntini, Willoughby, Hall, Bryson, Nel, Elworthy, Hayward, Dawson etc who were playing at that time. And the test players did also play some FC cricket in that era
Agreed. Most of them were poor anyways.

taipan1

U19 12th Man
Bull****. SA barely had anyone bowling over 130kph 10 years ago. I can think of only 2 players that could bowl over 140. The bowling stocks were very poor. First class bowlers like Willoughby and Dawson failed badly in the international set up.

Bounce for popepouri

popepouri

State Vice-Captain
I'll try and clarify.

10 years ago, the domestic system produced a lot of right arm fair-to-good medium-fast swing bowlers and because most pitches assisted them, they were incredibly successful taking loads of wickets in the FC domestic tournament. The issue was that most pitches outside of SA are not as green so a lot of them could not step up to next level because their lack of pace. There was also the issue that none added variety so someone like Terbrugge who was similar to Pollock in many ways lost out not only because of injury but because he added nothing new to the attack. I'll go through each bowler you presented.

Terbrugge - as mentioned, right arm medium-fast bowler who could move the ball of the seam but not very quick
Pretorius - one of the promising players whose stock delivery was over 135kph. He had a different problem where he had poor mental toughness
Ngam - Another promising fast bowler similar in action to Donald but of course hampered badly by injury. Ended up bowling of 2 step run up after that.
Ntini - In 2000, he was really quick and one of the few that went on to make a good career because of it.
Willoughby - Medium fast bowler who could swing the ball. Difference was he was left-arm but was not very quick.
Hall - Another right-arm medium-fast bowler. Fantastic bowler in FC cricket where the ball is moving around but failed to make an impression outside of ODI cricket. Also not very quick but able to crank it up to 140 at times.
Bryson - Quick bowler but hampered by age.
Nel - Another right-arm med-fast bowler. Got much quicker around 2003 and then lost it somehow.
Elworthy - Seemed a little quicker than the rest but didn't have much promise for the long term given his age.
Hayward - Probably the quickest out there who was able to hit 150 at times, but had injuries and control issues. Ended up bowling for 3 step run up later on.
Dawson - Another right arm medium-fast/fast-medium bowler.

If you rule out those who were hampered by injury and ages, there weren't a lot going around in terms of good classic SA fast bowling. With Donald losing pace in the naughties, what SA needed was another strike bowler and there was nothing on offer. In the end, Donald lost pace and retired and Ntini had to pick up the brunt of the striking and he wasn't as good and Pollock wasn't a strike bowler. There was definitely something missing in the attack and I think it's the main reason why they were trashed by Australia in 2001. Steyn was also rushed into the international scene because of it.

Now is the same missing from the current bowling stocks? I don't think so. Steyn and Morkel are two great out-and-out strike bowlers with plenty more in the domestic scene. There's also a lot more left-armers and plenty of wrist-spinners. In the past, having someone who was able to hit 145 was a luxury, now I count 4-5 bowlers who can do it consistently (Steyn, Morkel, Alexander, Plaatjies, de Wet). The reason for this IMO, the pitches that are being prepared are flatter hence those who didn't have much pace needed more variety in their bowling or had to gain pace. Someone like Lopsy figured this out where he wanted to gain more pace and succeeded in doing so in Australia hitting over 140. He got injured after that though and now I think he is attempting to be more of a Bracken type bowler who bowls a lot of cutters and mixes his pace.

What is eluding is the 3 seamer option because of the lost form of Ntini, however this is a recent problem and so new options are being tried. Tsotsobe and Parnell have only had a handful of games.

Last edited: