• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa Domestic season 2010-11

popepouri

State Vice-Captain
However the quota system has wrecked the strength of FC which should be to prepare players for a step up in class.
Has it weakened it, yes. Has it wrecked it? I don't think so. If we need a standard to judge this then it has to be the national team and it hasn't failed to produced great players and we're still challenging for the top spot in the world. The great players still come through the system like AB, Morne and Dale with the addition of great PoC like Parnell, Prince and Amla.

Last edited:

taipan1

U19 12th Man
Has it weakened it, yes. Has it wrecked it? I don't think so. If we need a standard to judge this then it has to be the national team and it hasn't failed to produced great players and we're still challenging for the top spot in the world. The great players still come through the system like AB, Morne and Dale with the addition of great PoC like Parnell, Prince and Amla.

You think so? Seriouly the Transvaal mean machine would have destroyed any of the teams playing this weekend.

The great players come through despite the system not because of the system.

How strong would SA have been if resources had not been depleted by the quotas

popepouri

State Vice-Captain
The great players come through despite the system not because of the system.
I disagree with this. I'll give you the example of the West Indies. I'm positive that their issues are not because there isn't enough talent, it's that they haven't identified the talent and invested the resources to build that talent into great players. Something SA does really well especially at school level.

The difference is that the schools are now more integrated then they were 10-20 years ago, and a lot of the talent identified is PoC. Affies is still Affies and they're system still produces excellent players.

taipan1

U19 12th Man
I disagree with this. I'll give you the example of the West Indies. I'm positive that their issues are not because there isn't enough talent, it's that they haven't identified the talent and invested the resources to build that talent into great players. Something SA does really well especially at school level.

The difference is that the schools are now more integrated then they were 10-20 years ago, and a lot of the talent identified is PoC. Affies is still Affies and they're system still produces excellent players.

So if you don't shine at school level, thats you gone?

Not every player is great as a schoolboy, but can develop through hard graft at FC level.
SA FC is so weak that it tells us nothing. Philander of all people is one of the top bowlers. 10/15 years ago he wouldn't have had a sniff at FC cricket.

And why do you keep going on about POC players??

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member

Not every player is great as a schoolboy, but can develop through hard graft at FC level.
SA FC is so weak that it tells us nothing. Philander of all people is one of the top bowlers. 10/15 years ago he wouldn't have had a sniff at FC cricket.

And why do you keep going on about POC players??
Hyperbole.

popepouri

State Vice-Captain
No but almost all great players are identified at school level and developed with the u19 squad. I see a lot of players coming through showing tremendous promise. Far from the wrecked FC system that you make it out to be.

Bull****. SA barely had anyone bowling over 130kph 10 years ago. I can think of only 2 players that could bowl over 140. The bowling stocks were very poor. First class bowlers like Willoughby and Dawson failed badly in the international set up.

Last edited:

popepouri

State Vice-Captain

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Are you talking about the SA first class system or the international team? Make up your mind.

I doesn't really matter though because the current test team has been way more successful than the one you presented.
It may be more successfull in the sense that they won in ENG & AUS. But the SA team of the 90s was certainly better than current SA team.

popepouri

State Vice-Captain
It may be more successfull in the sense that they won in ENG & AUS. But the SA team of the 90s was certainly better than current SA team.
Irrelevant. There's too many variables to take into account before a judging a squad on names especially with poor test bowlers like Klusener and a declining Paul Adams and a dodgy middle order.

Last edited:

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Irrelevant. There's too many variables to take into account before a judging a squad on names especially with poor test bowlers like Klusener and a declining Paul Adams and a dodgy middle order.
Klusener wasn't a poor test bowler at all. From 1996-2000 he was arguably the best test & ODI all-rounder in the world.

Plus Adams had his days in the 90s. But even so SA hardly ever used a spinner much in the 90s. generally always a an all-pace attack. Symcox was the most used spinner & he was quite good.

How was SAs middle-order in the 90s dodgy?

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
SA's batting now >> SA's batting in the 90s.
SA's bowling in the 90's >> SA's bowling now minus Steyn.
SA's bowling in the 90's > SA's bowling now with Steyn.

Last edited:

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
SA's batting now >> SA's batting in the 90s.SA's bowling in the 90's >> SA's bowling now minus Steyn.
SA's bowling in the 90's > SA's bowling now with Steyn.
Not that big. SA now have a slighttttttt edge, given the form of Kallis ATM. Otherwise its just about even i'd say.

Smith
Petersen
Amla
Kallis
De Villiers
Prince
Boucher

Best SA Top 7 of the 90s: 1st Test: South Africa v England at Johannesburg, Nov 25-28, 1999 | Cricket Scorecard | Cricinfo.com

Kirsten
Gibbs
Kallis
Cullinan
Cronje
Rhodes
Klusener