• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa Domestic season 2010-11

SeamUp

International Coach
Same dismissal too evidently; he was caught by Human both times.
Its amazing how many times McLaren has got Hash out in FC cricket. I think with those 2 dismissals, McLaren has been the bowler to get Hash out the most in FC cricket. Some bowlers just have something over some batsman.

SeamUp

International Coach
Another SA U19 player from the 2008 U19 WC team got his debut in franchise cricket in the last round of games. The names Clayton August of the Titans and he was an off-season acquisition from the Boland amateur team.

Smuts, Malan, Rossouw, Hendricks, Vandiar, Parnell, Pienaar, Engelbrecht, Barnes, Mosehle and August have all played SuperSpor series cricket now. Just Valllie to go now really as Matt Arnold doesn't seem to play cricket anymore.

I wonder whether August will keep his place though because highly rated 19 year-old quick, Marchant De Lange might get his debut for the Titans on Thursday. Supposedly a Dale Steyn replica.

SeamUp

International Coach
Good hit out for Graeme Smith before the Zim and Pak series. Nigh on run a ball double ton and nearly an unlikely victory for the Cobras.

Lions v Cape Cobras at Randjesfontein, Sep 30-Oct 3, 2010 | Cricket Scorecard | Cricinfo.com

Dolphins beaten by the Knights in Kimberley. Hash fell to McLaren both innings for 0. Ridiculous second innings match figures for McLaren (5 for 35 off 24) and Victor Mpitsang, who finished the match with match figures of 38 overs, 6 for 61…

Knights v Dolphins at Kimberley, Sep 30-Oct 3, 2010 | Cricket Scorecard | Cricinfo.com

Whilst the Titans smashed the Warriors at Centurion.

Titans v Warriors at Centurion, Sep 30-Oct 2, 2010 | Cricket Scorecard | Cricinfo.com

Next round minus RSA limited overs player’s starts on Thursday. KP and Bopara to debut for the Dolphins.
Is Ravi debuting this Thurs or next Thurs??

The Dolphins don't have many great options to replace the 3 departing players. Bosman will miss only 1 game.

I think Morne Van Wyk's brother, Divan, may get a look in (declined the Knights contract offer), Bradley Barnes, Devon Conway, Glen Addicott, Bradley Moses, Cody Chetty and Cameron Delport are the players to try and get into the Dolphins team.

popepouri

State Vice-Captain
I wonder whether August will keep his place though because highly rated 19 year-old quick, Marchant De Lange might get his debut for the Titans on Thursday. Supposedly a Dale Steyn replica.
If he's as quick as Dale, I sense he'll have a few nicknames i.e. Speed Marchant, Marchant of Death.

popepouri

State Vice-Captain
Smuts, Malan, Rossouw, Hendricks, Vandiar, Parnell, Pienaar, Engelbrecht, Barnes, Mosehle and August have all played SuperSpor series cricket now. Just Valllie to go now really as Matt Arnold doesn't seem to play cricket anymore.
Vallie should have got his chance a while ago. I'm sure he'll get it once Smith goes on international duty.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Would love to see Philander play a Test, just to satisfy my own curiosity about his bowling with the red ball. He's looked a genuine pie-man every time I've seen him play (not to mention, of course, looking like a fool with the bat and physically handicapped in the field) but obviously that's been in limited overs cricket only and he's been so much more successful in four-day cricket domestically. When I first saw his First Class stats I just assumed he'd taken a stack of wickets in amateur cricket but he's held up excellent figures repeatedly, season after season, in franchise cricket. Would add a little bit to the batting at eight too, theoretically.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Would love to see Philander play a Test, just to satisfy my own curiosity about his bowling with the red ball. He's looked a genuine pie-man every time I've seen him play (not to mention, of course, looking like a fool with the bat and physically handicapped in the field) but obviously that's been in limited overs cricket only and he's been so much more successful in four-day cricket domestically. When I first saw his First Class stats I just assumed he'd taken a stack of wickets in amateur cricket but he's held up excellent figures repeatedly, season after season, in franchise cricket. Would add a little bit to the batting at eight too, theoretically.
Interestingly i see it the oppositie way TBF. Watching Philander bowl in ODIS where he h looked a genuine pie-man as you said. Although SA franchise cricket is very strong & is a usually a very good gauge for judging whether players will translate FC form unto the test arena. I question Phildanders FC stats based on wathcing him bowl & think he would be an absoulte joke if he ever played a test.

Would be highly surprised if SA ever picked him as well. They got more than a few better quick bowling options floating around franchise cricket.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Interestingly i see it the oppositie way TBF. Watching Philander bowl in ODIS where he h looked a genuine pie-man as you said. Although SA franchise cricket is very strong & is a usually a very good gauge for judging whether players will translate FC form unto the test arena. I question Phildanders FC stats based on wathcing him bowl & think he would be an absoulte joke if he ever played a test.
I actually agree. As I said I want to see him play to satisfy my own curiosity; not because I'm actually convinced he'd be the best option. He's a bit of a strange case so I'd like to actually see him bowl in a First Class game, and South Africa picking him in a Test is my only way of doing that. It's a selfish desire. :p

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Looking at the squad, there is no reason why McLaren should play and aside from Albie or McLaren, RSA doesn't have many viable all round options. Kleinveldt and Louw looked out of their depth against Kenya and Zimbabwe.

Smith
Loots
JP
Ingram
Miller
Kuhn
Botha
Robbie P
Parnell
Morne
Rusty

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Is Ravi debuting this Thurs or next Thurs??

The Dolphins don't have many great options to replace the 3 departing players. Bosman will miss only 1 game.

I think Morne Van Wyk's brother, Divan, may get a look in (declined the Knights contract offer), Bradley Barnes, Devon Conway, Glen Addicott, Bradley Moses, Cody Chetty and Cameron Delport are the players to try and get into the Dolphins team.
Yeah, must be next week as Ravi isn't in the side. And you was right about Divan van Wyk, he is the squad for tomorrow's game against the Warriors.

Dolphins squad...

Imraan Khan, Divan van Wyk, Bradley Moses, KP, Ahmed Amla, Daryn Smit, Jon Kent, Kyle Abbott, Quinton Friend, Imran Tahir, Tabraiz Shamsi, Mthokozisi Shezi, Devon Conway.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Another SA U19 player from the 2008 U19 WC team got his debut in franchise cricket in the last round of games. The names Clayton August of the Titans and he was an off-season acquisition from the Boland amateur team.

I wonder whether August will keep his place though because highly rated 19 year-old quick, Marchant De Lange might get his debut for the Titans on Thursday
. Supposedly a Dale Steyn replica.
Morne is finished with the Titans now for the next few months at least, so they can accommodate both August and De Lange. Think 4 seamers is probably the best way for them to go if van der Merwe is going to be their first class spin option. Might be worth blooding the leggie van der Berg as well, VDM is a one day cricketer.

Shame Malan hasn't been given more of a go by the Titans. Don't understand why Snijman is selected infront of him. Mosehle should play now Kuhn is on international duty, interesting prospect, doesn't **** around.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Vallie should have got his chance a while ago. I'm sure he'll get it once Smith goes on international duty.
Yeah, a long-time ago and it should be about time Richard Levi gets a go for the Cobras in the top five. Both seriously good young cricketers.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member

Would be highly surprised if SA ever picked him as well. They got more than a few better quick bowling options floating around franchise cricket.
Would be interesting to see what Pro averages outside the Cape in franchise cricket. Both Newlands and Paarl are slow low dogs where pace is usually treated with contempt. Would be amazed if he averages sub 25 at Kingsmead, the Wanderers and Centurion over the years.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
The side the Warriors is currently fielding has to be one of the worst in recent memory. Master of Business Administration Smith, Bevan Bennett, Justin Kreusch, Craig Thyssen, Lyall Meyer et cetera.

popepouri

State Vice-Captain
The side the Warriors is currently fielding has to be one of the worst in recent memory. Master of Business Administration Smith, Bevan Bennett, Justin Kreusch, Craig Thyssen, Lyall Meyer et cetera.
Seriously. Looks the amateur league squad last week.

taipan1

U19 12th Man
Aussies there are a number of reasons for this. One being the international cricketers rarely being available for FC cricket.

However the quota system has wrecked the strength of FC which should be to prepare players for a step up in class. It has led to inferior players being picked. resulting in a massive outflow of players to other countries (England being the main one, but NZ quickly catching up) and those taking up Kolpak contracts and being ineligible to play FC cricket. Even worse a number of younger players have chucked the game completely (due an even more vigorous quota in the junior ranks) to play other sports.