• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Spot-Fixing Scandal

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
But Butt has no evidence whatsoever that English players were involved, but he still implicated them in it anyway. You shouldn't be allowed to say things like that and just get away with it.
I would think Mr Butt is a man of straw unworthy of powder and shot, which is a shame as he's either a total **** or, like the Ijaz Butt I know, a piss poor stand up comedian

pasag

RTDAS
Will be fun returning to Lord's tomorrow and I'm sure there will be a fantastic atmosphere
Funny thing is they'll boo Ponting from here till tomorrow, but these blokes get polite golf claps no matter what they do. The Aamer presentation a few weeks back was the most surreal cricket moment I've ever seen.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Funny thing is they'll boo Ponting from here till tomorrow, but these blokes get polite golf claps no matter what they do. The Aamer presentation a few weeks back was the most surreal cricket moment I've ever seen.
Well tbf that only goes to back up what loads of us were saying last year, that he should be flattered by the boos. There is no greater sign of apathy from an English crowd than the reactions that met the Pakistani batsmen on day five at Lord's.

pasag

RTDAS
Well tbf that only goes to back up what loads of us were saying last year, that he should be flattered by the boos. There is no greater sign of apathy from an English crowd than the reactions that met the Pakistani batsmen on day five at Lord's.
Backwards country.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Yeah, reminds me of that old truism - the opposite of love isn't hate, it's apathy.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
We have a love/hate relationship with Ponting. We appreciate how good he is at batting and his mentality, but we hate him because he is a massive ****.

It was great at Headingley in the Ashes, we booed him allll the time, but got to watch his awesome, awesome batting. Was a win-win situation.

Fusion

Global Moderator
Those comments by Ijaz Butt wrt English players taking bribes are absolutely outrageous.

Would the England team have a case of accusing him of slander for that?
I hope they sue him and win a massive amount of money. He's a complete ****ing idiot and the worst PCB Chairman ever - which is saying something considering the ****s we've had in the past.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
If ECB or the English team sues Butt in UK courts, expect a similar lawsuit filed against someone, any one, to be filed in Pakistan. Responding to this aggressively is a no-win situation that will get bogged down very quickly in trans-national legal back & forth.
Yep. BTW I wasn't advocating suing Ijaz Butt for defamation, just saying what I think the legal position is likely to be if someone did.

nick-o

State 12th Man
I think it's incredibly sad, really.

I wonder how many years it will be before England and Pakistan play another full series of tests and ODIs?

Obviously, we can't go there at the moment, and as things descend into acrimony I doubt they'll be coming here again any time soon...

It seems such a waste.

Shoggz

School Boy/Girl Captain
Kamran Abbai (cricinfo Pakistan columnist)

"ECB also hosted an important neutral series for us and have been influential in attempting to support Pakistan cricket. Butt has no class

BUtt is accusing English cricketers of match fixing. Correct me if I'm wrong but ECB hasn't accused any of our cricketers of anything?"

Biting the hand that feeds?

jeevan

International 12th Man
But Butt has no evidence whatsoever that English players were involved, but he still implicated them in it anyway. You shouldn't be allowed to say things like that and just get away with it.
Completely concur. Not saying what he did was right in absolute terms. Just trying to explain that perhaps how what he did probably works for him and his pay-masters.

slowfinger

International Debutant
Butt. What A Joke.

Crooonje wherever you may be, you got done for match fixing!
But you could be worse, you could be Butt,
Going for glory but corrupt as ****.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I think it's incredibly sad, really.

I wonder how many years it will be before England and Pakistan play another full series of tests and ODIs?

Obviously, we can't go there at the moment, and as things descend into acrimony I doubt they'll be coming here again any time soon...

It seems such a waste.
Hopefully never.

A combination of the crooks that play for Pakistan, and the ****s who run cricket in Pakistan mean that they're bringing the game into disrepute and in all honestly I think the game of cricket is better off without Pakistan - and that's without the dire political situation in the country itself.

The game of cricket coped fine when South Africa were kicked out for 20 years. I see no reason why Pakistan shouldn't be afforded the same treatment.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
He's obviously had pressure put on him to hit back. But this is just stepping into the realm of the bizzare now. While I think the ICC should've been more delicate with their investigations into the 3rd ODI, Butt's response is insane. I hope he gets sued and chucked out of cricket for good. Maybe the England players and Chris Cairns can get together and help each other out.

Jacknife

International Captain
What a thing for Butt to do, make some outrageous slanderous remarks about English players and the ECB, in probably some **** eyed attempt at diverting some of the heat off Pakistan. After the shower of **** we've been served up this summer by Pakistan.He's got players that were as close as dammit caught red handed and as some kind of show has hit out, at the people who have gone out of their way to help Pakistan this summer, also the ECB have never pointed their fingers at the Pakistanis' during the course of any of the accusations that have occurred.I just can't see how any of the England team or the ECB would want to carry on with these ODi's,not now ,not after this.

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
I am not going to defend Butt's comments at all as we all know what his reputation is with Pakistani people and world wide as well. ECB has been of great support to Pakistani Cricket with the Spirit of Cricket series and other offers that they made, when they themselves took financial losses.

They continued the tour after such a big evidence was thrown at the whole world showing that 3-4 Pakistan players were infact dirty. Irrespective of whether they defrauded the bookies or not, the fact remains that an outsider had influence on the outcome of the parts of the games and had enough power to possibly change the game all together. God knows on what previous ocassions this had occured. I would however, like to see more solid evidence regarding the 3rd ODI, which i personally doubt was spot fixed. The reason is, if Afridi turned out someone like Butt, i wouldn't know what to trust anymore regarding my life. Cricket is one passion of my life which can't be replaced with anything else..even a woman..Afridi is one guy I would trust along with Younis Khan who would never earn illegitamate income and compromise on their Iman can't say the same for any other player in the team at the moment, perhaps with the exception of Gul....

And i agree with what Kamran Abbassi said, Butt has no class to blame ECB for any reason, it was his fault, his management's fault, his players fault that we find ourselves in this situation today, blaming anyone else in this fashion is only going to create more differences and more mistrust of Pakistani cricketers.

I think Butt's tenure as the chairman has completely destroyed Pakistan cricket from top to bottom for the lack of a better description. It has completely ruined our image in the world overall and it has made us look like a laughing stock. Yet he comes out with these cheap shots at the wrong parties. He has brought shame and nothing else to Pakistan.

However, rumors are floating in media and else where that this PPP Government has done its time and will collapse soon, that will bring a new President and possibly a new chairman to PCB. But then again, who says the guy who comes next would be any better.

The moment you think we have hit rock bottom as a nation and a country, there always another nasty surprise from the new government for common Pakistanis.

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
In addition to the above comment, any Pakistani fan who feels anything negative towards ECB should be banned from saying the word cricket let alone watching it.

A true Pakistani cricket fan could never be grateful enough to the Australians and the English for there support in tough times and for the quality cricket they provided us to watch...and i hope that people like Butt don't come across as representatives of us, the Pak cricket fans.

He has already ruined it with the ICC by going legal for something that was outlandishly stupid and now he is ruining it with individual boards...