• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Aamer Situation

If found guilty, Aamer should be banned for:

• Total voters

slowfinger

International Debutant
Don't care what people say I don't ever want to see Aamer come onto a pitch ever again, I rate this worse than Akhtar taking drugs (I love Akhtar) Inzy ball tampering and Afridi Biting the ball to be honest. The people that were betting on that ball got pwned major big time, Aamer should only ever see a cricket pitch once he's got what he deserved and Asif/Butt are just gone I can definately say that

During Aamer's one year span, how many times has he actually fixed? Because we all got edgy with and against Aamer sometimes (don't lie) and worse still he's 18, that is why he needs to be punished more than others

Reason I'm not that fussed about it at the moment is because I know Pakistan, and if it is one thing they can do is produce talent. I have serious hope in that new bowler, Haider, Alam, the lot. But I really thing Pakistan needs to stop acting like a third world country even if it is one.

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
PCB's fat bastard is in Dehli to cut a deal with ICC's chief....i doubt Pawar would engage in that type of a settlement in this case until they are cleared by the police.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
An incredibly mindless argument

He bowled a no ball and was supposedly paid for it

Big ****ing deal!!!!!!

His home is in a Taliban stronghold and without cricket he'd be a dead man walking

No money

No education

No future

Read Geoff Lawson's (former Pakistani coach) article where he claims that he was forced to select a player due to a kidnapping threat before you jump to conclusions
I've read the article already thanks.

I don't see why poverty should provide an excuse behind cheating. He, along with his other mates, have destroyed the integrity of the game and raised questions towards the legitimacy of every match they've played under. I'm looking at the bigger picture here. I don't care if he comes from an impoverished background or has no future, he ****ed up, he got caught, he's the one (along with others) that decided to throw away their future for a few dollars in the short term.

And you know what, too ****ing bad if he has no education or future. An example needs to be made out of these three or cricket will forever remain under a shroud of illegitimacy.

Where do we draw the line? If not influencing play through no balls, is it ok if he decides to fix overs and spells too? That's not too much right? A decision to fix in one game surely means he'd be willing to fix in multiple games and to a greater degree. I for one will always remain suspect if Aamer plays again

Last edited:

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
You don't mean that. If he doesn't deserve a life ban, he shouldn't be given a life ban.
Don't think I've ever disagreed with you more strongly, Mr. z. The job of the ICC is to safeguard the wider interests of the sport, not to impose fair punishments. I can't believe how heavily the discussion is weighted towards what would be just to Aamer. We should be talking about what action is best for cricket. Anything else is unfair on the hundreds of international cricketers who don't fix. Those are the people who suffer as a result of the desire to give Aamer a punishment deemed "fair" at the expense of the sport as a whole. Given the choice, I'd much rather be unjust to players that fix than I would players that don't.

pasag

RTDAS
Uppercut FTW.

In what organisation can you deliberately under-perform and ever expect to keep your job?

Last edited:

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
In theory, he deserves to be banned for life. You can't just underperform and expect to keep a job, like Saggers said. My gripe is, while 18 might be old enough to tell the difference between what's right and what's wrong, it still might not be old enough to be able to say 'no'. I think he probably can be influenced, and if you're using a workplace analogy, if your boss told you to do something that you felt was wrong but you really had no choice as if you didn't, it might put your life in danger, would you say yes or no?

Xuhaib

International Coach
An incredibly mindless argument

He bowled a no ball and was supposedly paid for it

Big ****ing deal!!!!!!

His home is in a Taliban stronghold and without cricket he'd be a dead man walking

No money

No education

No future

Read Geoff Lawson's (former Pakistani coach) article where he claims that he was forced to select a player due to a kidnapping threat before you jump to conclusions
Changa Bangyal(his village) is far off from being a Taliban stronghold infact I would rate it as one of the safer places in the country and as for no formal education the boy has already cleared his 12th standard exams.
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/30/sports/cricket/30iht-CRICKET.html?_r=1

Last edited:

bagapath

International Captain
Changa Bangyal(his village) is far off from being a Taliban stronghold infact I would rate it as one of the safer places in the countary and as for no formal education the boy has already cleared his 12th standard exams.
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/30/sports/cricket/30iht-CRICKET.html?_r=1
thanks for the link bro. it is annoying otherwise to read patronizing comments like "this boy needs help!" when it is quite obvious that everyone should come together in rooting out corruption in world cricket rather than succumb to deluded sentimentality.

on a different note, i wonder why PCB should be blamed for all the screw ups as far as prevention of spot/match fixing is concerned. it is clear that the indian mafia is behind it. south africans have dabbled with it. aussies, englishmen, srilankans have all considered taking money to share details of/fix individual events in the game. indians and west indians have taken the bait at times. now, the ICC runs the ACU, not individual boards. therefore i think it is probably unfair to blame PCB alone for this latest fiasco when it seems ijaz and co are incapable of running the board properly leave alone monitoring corrupt elements in the set up.

Last edited:

bagapath

International Captain
what about the entire afghanistan team then? shall we allow them to fix matches openly?

Irrelevant. there are hundreds of millions of people around the globe who have no cash but would not go for underhand deals to feed their families. the official retainer PCB pays the Pakistani cricketers is more than enough to lead a comfortable life.

No education
aamer has got more education than sachin had when he started. aamer has completed 12th calss. sachin failed in his 10th IIRC

No future
correct. there should be no future for aamer.

so what? unless someone put a gun on aamer's family he should not have cheated.

stop defending corruption, social.

Last edited:

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
what about the entire afghanistan team then? shall we allow them to fix matches openly?

Irrelevant. there are hundreds of millions of people around the globe who have no cash but would not go for underhand deals to feed their families. the official retainer PCB pays the Pakistani cricketers is more than enough to lead a comfortable life.

aamer has got more education than sachin had when he started. aamer has completed 12th calss. sachin failed in his 10th IIRC

correct. there should be no future for aamer.

so what? unless someone put a gun on aamer's family he should not have cheated.

stop defending corruption, social.
Just how is recommending a 2 year ban for bowling a no-ball defending corruption?

Based on some of the ridiculously over the top comments on here, guys that have claimed a catch when it has obviously bounced should be shot

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Just how is recommending a 2 year ban for bowling a no-ball defending corruption?

Based on some of the ridiculously over the top comments on here, guys that have claimed a catch when it has obviously bounced should be shot
That's completely different.

A two year ban is nothing. He'd be 20 when he came back to play. Spot Fixing = Match Fixing

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

A two year ban is nothing. He'd be 20 when he came back to play. Spot Fixing = Match Fixing
Spot fixing via a no ball costs your team a run and has an absolutely miniscule chance of altering the outcome of a match

If the kid was into match fixing, he's doing a pretty horrible job at it when you consider that he's the youngest ever to 50 test wickets and is about the only Pakistani to try his guts out in each and every match I've seen him play

And your right when you say that cheating is different to being paid to bowl one or two no -balls - the former is much worse

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Hypothetically, in the situation they are in (before being caught), what are Asif, or Aamer, going to say when they get asked to match-fix? "Oh sorry, that's too far, can't do that guys"?

Likely story. They're in way too deep, simple.

Last edited:

pasag

RTDAS
Social said:
And your right when you say that cheating is different to being paid to bowl one or two no -balls - the former is much worse
No. No it's not.

Surely you're not going to argue that cheating to win is worse than cheating to lose.

Last edited:

Stapel

International Regular
I do think it is the best for Cricket, if spot-fixers get life bans. However, I don't think giving an 18 year old spot-fixer a life ban is apropriate.

In regular criminal law, judges also try to find a balance between the interest of society and a properly fitting punishment.

I totally disagree and I find that this even makes the difference. Match fixers should be banned for life imo. But spot fixing has a very minimal influence on test results. Neither the audience, nor cricket, nor teammates, nor us posters are victims. The betters and bookies are. Therefor, this whole thing should be in a civil and/or criminal court in the first place.

A 2 year ban would do for Amir!