• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Pakistan in England 2010

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
Glad that Strauss scored that century, tbh. Proved a lot of doubters wrong as to his ODI batting and proves once and for all that quality opening batsmen can do the job fairly well in ODI cricket as long as they score above 80S/R if they play a longish innings.
Possibly a bit of wishful hyperbole there! :p

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Would love to know if Uppercut has a view of Strauss as an opening batsman?

I think he's great for England, but perhaps some other teams he'd struggle to get in.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I still haven't seen any explanation for why there's such a disparity between his home and away ODI records.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Not sure about in everywhere else, but perhaps for ODI cricket, he doesn't play straight enough in the sub-continent?

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
I haven't looked at the stats, but I'd say he hasn't really played away much since his return to the team, and his stats since then are way better.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
I haven't looked at the stats, but I'd say he hasn't really played away much since his return to the team, and his stats since then are way better.
Hmm, not really true at all. 19 matches at home (av: 48), 11 away (av: 40), 3 neutral (av:8). So pulled down with the poor champions trophy.

vcs

Not enough sample there TBF, so it's reasonable enough to assume that he'll come good and even it out at some stage. Especially given that he's performed against some good teams at home.

vcs

Hopefully not, I'm clinging to our ODI results against England in 2008 to convince myself that we'll beat them at the WC despite their recent ODI form. :ph34r:

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
Personally don't even understand so much praise for Strauss's batting. He was a goner on 20 odd runs.....remember this is Pak..any other fielding side would not give those lives...

Migara

International Coach
Hopefully not, I'm clinging to our ODI results against England in 2008 to convince myself that we'll beat them at the WC despite their recent ODI form. :ph34r:
On Indian tracks, against Indian batting very few bowling sides stand a chance. But the thngs might be different if there is bit on the pitch for the bowlers.

vcs

On Indian tracks, against Indian batting very few bowling sides stand a chance. But the thngs might be different if there is bit on the pitch for the bowlers.
True, but sides like Australia (and SA) don't get overwhelmed (and intimidated) by the batting lineup like England in that series. Australia have beaten us at home in 2007 and '09 despite several injuries, retirements, rotation etc.

vcs

Tracks are pretty irrelevant in ODI's these days TBH, they are usually batting paradises and the only chance to put pressure on batsmen is with the new ball. Spinners' role in ODI's is mostly for containment.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Saj Mahmood and Stuart Meaker are pretty quick too, pretty sure he would have faced both of them, even if it's only in the nets with Meaker.
Neither are international quality much less ODI quality, regardless if they are quick. So poster stumpski is right.

superkingdave said:
interestingly thats also why Aussie doesn't like him.
No. I just had reservations that given he would be able to translate that style of play on the international stage. In the first two T20s, my worries where confirmed, but in the first 2 ODIs, he has sort of redeemed himself. Still alot of ODIs to play between now & the WC & its going to be a good keep battle between Davies & Kieswetter. But for now will always prefer Craig.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Indeed so. Feels faintly unreal.

I'm taking solace in the fact we have a spot-fixing scandal on which to blame Pakistan underperforming on rather than ascribe any inprovement to our chaps tho.

Mind you if the Atherton/Stewart/Pringle/Gough round table is anything to go by we can hopefully rely on the selectors to restore our natural order of mediocrity. Wright & Bopara clearly >>>>>>>Trott & Strauss. 8-)
Indeed. It was crazy that they suggested that Strauss wouldn't go to the WC. Strauss scoring a hundred right after very well & made them look dumb.

Mentioning Prior making the WC squad was clearly daft as well.

I even recall them mentioning Yardy as spin-bowling option for the Ashes squad..HAAA. Was very disappointed in that roundtable.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Tracks are pretty irrelevant in ODI's these days TBH, they are usually batting paradises and the only chance to put pressure on batsmen is with the new ball. Spinners' role in ODI's is mostly for containment.
Indeed. All of the ODI series i've seen in IND wherre either AUS & ENG have toured along with the last 3 IPL seasons. The wickets in IND for limited overs games are usually batting beauties - with the odd turner appearing.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Not sure about in everywhere else, but perhaps for ODI cricket, he doesn't play straight enough in the sub-continent?
Not sure it is the conditions but the fact that Strauss is a poor ODI batsman away from home. Played over 15 ODIs in RSA and Aus, top score is 30 odd and in the subcontinent, two match winning knocks aside, he hasn’t done Jack. Currently averages 35 in ODIs but that plummets to the mid 20s when you just consider the 40 odd ODIs away from home against test playing nations.