• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** T20 Champions League in South Africa

Edged&Taken

U19 Vice-Captain
Agreed completely. Although if they removed the IPL teams, viewership in India will probably go down by a significant amount.

Another thing, why has Pakistan been excluded again? They could replace one of the IPL teams (2nd runners up - RCB) with a good domestic Pakistani side.
not excluded , they preferred to keep away based on the IPL auction issue
Link

IPL Kochi

Cricket Spectator
T20 is definitely a format that is addictive but it is also a format that doesn't totally bring out the true potential in a player. A good T20 player may not actually be a good ODI player which requires more skill, patience and a good cricketing mind.

T20 is all about zeal and that go getter attitude where you need to launch a blitzkrieg every time you play. So ODIs are required to keep the players in good form and keep their minds alert. 8-)

kingpin

State Vice-Captain
T20 is definitely a format that is addictive but it is also a format that doesn't totally bring out the true potential in a player. A good T20 player may not actually be a good ODI player which requires more skill, patience and a good cricketing mind.

T20 is all about zeal and that go getter attitude where you need to launch a blitzkrieg every time you play. So ODIs are required to keep the players in good form and keep their minds alert. 8-)
OK :ph34r:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I still doubt this unless you can prove me wrong.
Well it was initially set up using the champions of the european leagues - 1 from each country. It was also fixed so player represented one team only and it wasn't scheduled to collide with other games from nations meaning all european nations at the time could be represented.

All of those things are in direct contrast to this farcical competition.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Well it was initially set up using the champions of the european leagues - 1 from each country. It was also fixed so player represented one team only and it wasn't scheduled to collide with other games from nations meaning all european nations at the time could be represented.

All of those things are in direct contrast to this farcical competition.
Genuine question - When could the CL have been held so that none of the participating nations would have been excluded?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
A couple of weeks time might've been a start.

The English season was actually pulled back a week to ensure it would fit in with the dates they were aware of. Then suddenly the competition is pulled even earlier so it clashes with the English season and the England Pakistan ODIs. It would obviously struggle to fit in with all International games, but there's no reason why it couldn't have fitted in where it was originally going (especially since the ECB did make efforts to compromise with their fixture list)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
For some reason I thought it was a shorter event than it now is. Am I right in thinking they've expanded this one compared to the previous one?

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
For some reason I thought it was a shorter event than it now is. Am I right in thinking they've expanded this one compared to the previous one?
Nah they're virtually the same in terms of time and number of games. Just the format is completely different. Last time it was four groups of 3 then two groups of 4.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Thought something had changed in it.

Of course the other change is in Australia's tour of India, which was originally 7 ODIs so would've started later.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Disagree somewhat since I think the 9 ODIs between England and Australia are necessary for both countries this year given that the WC follows immediately after the Ashes.

I think the 2 T20 tournaments could work IF AND ONLY IF the T20 World Cup moves to once every 4 years.
Well yes during a world cup year like this one. Then yes exceptions for teams to play 7 or more ODIs as preparation can be done for sure.

Plus no every 4 years for T20 is too long i'd say. Their is genuine rush for it now that will continue for a long, so every 2 years is fine. So overall again one of the IPL or Champions League has to go.

Last edited:

Spudsy2061

U19 Cricketer
Plus no every 4 years for T20 is too long i'd say. Their is genuine rush for it now that will continue for a long, so every 2 years is fine. So overall again one of the IPL or Champions League has to go.
I think if they want to make the T20 WC have any value then it needs to be once every 4 years.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Oh well yes given the broken structure of the ICC & the power the BCCI has in the game, that will indeed be the case unfortunately.

I dont know if those at the top have/will ever have the will power to make the ICC more independent, so it can make proper decisions in the best interests of the global game. But since the 1st T20 WC in 07, T20 has exploded at an alarming rate worldwide & its appeal has not be controlled properly & it threatens the popularity of test cricket in the future. T20s need to be controlled - having both the IPL & CL in a yearly calendar is not feasable.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
I think if they want to make the T20 WC have any value then it needs to be once every 4 years.
Well TBF i dont think value of the last 3 T20 WCs where compromised at all. Although it was quite ridiculous to have back-to-back T20 WCs in the last 2 years. Although glad ENG won and all, poor PAK barely had time to call themselves world champions which was fairly farcical.