• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

3rd Greatest Cricketer - The Poll

After Bradman and Sobers, who is the 3rd Greatest Cricketer ?

• Total voters

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Sure but there's an argument for many players being there. It's unfair to label the poster who started this thread (as you earlier also agreed with me) as a fanboy because he didn't have Lara on there.

Especially Engle didn't even vote Sachin.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Sure but there's an argument for many players being there. It's unfair to label the poster who started this thread (as you earlier also agreed with me) as a fanboy because he didn't have Lara on there.

Especially Engle didn't even vote Sachin.
yeah, I do think in terms of rating them as "cricketers" as a whole, Sachin's amazing ODI stats SHOULD give him a headstart over each and everyone of his contemporary batsmen...

That said, it would be different if we are rating them just as "test" cricketers.. :)

And yeah, agree with your post completely, btw. Juz adding my two cents here. :)

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
:laugh: Pathetic zinzan.

Get that chip off your shoulder mate.
What's pathetic is denying there's bugger all difference between Lara & Tendulkar. It basically comes down to personal preference & are you suggesting I'm wrong about the fan-boy-ism on this site from (as quoted earlier), 'the usual suspects'?

Zinzan

Love painting everyone with the same brush, don't you?
Sorry how exactly is that observation painting everyone with the same brush? We all know who the 'fan-boy's' are, don't we? You know, the one's who start 10 threads within a few days about the same player.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
What's pathetic is denying there's bugger all difference between Lara & Tendulkar. It basically comes down to personal preference & are you suggesting I'm wrong about the fan-boy-ism on this site from (as quoted earlier), 'the usual suspects'?
Sorry how exactly is that observation painting everyone with the same brush? We all know who the 'fan-boy's' are, don't we? You know, the one's who start 10 threads within a few days about the same player.
Do you believe Engle is a Sachin fan-boy?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
In most other forms of batsmanship, Sachin is superior to Gavaskar.
But in terms of temperament, an absolute must for an opener and for one being the backbone of the batting burden, Sunny leads Tendy.

Overall, lean towards SMG over SRT
Some examples (as much as I realize a few innings aren't enough to generalize) were the double century in England chasing a 400+ target, his last innings of 90+ against Pakistan, his debut series in the WIndies, his performance in Pak with Imran on the rampage....

Tendy tended to throw in the towel when the task got tough, most notably the few runs required to win in the WIndies
Engle, a poster who has said Tendulkar tends to throw in the towel, is hardly a fan boy I'd say :dry:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
There are many Sachin fans here but only one "fanboy" AFAIC right now. And we have already spoken enough about and to him in this thread.

EDIT: Wanna add there is nothing wrong with being a Sachin fan and if it were not the way my arguments seem to be going in CW, I would call myself one. :) As a matter of fact, most Sachin fans are pretty quality posters here.

Last edited:

Zinzan

There are many Sachin fans here but only one "fanboy" AFAIC right now. And we have already spoken enough about and to him in this thread.

EDIT: Wanna add there is nothing wrong with being a Sachin fan and if it were not the way my arguments seem to be going in CW, I would call myself one. :) As a matter of fact, most Sachin fans are pretty quality posters here.
Am a fan of Tendulkar myself, just don't rate him quite as highly as many. For mine he'd make my top 10 cricketers of all-time, slightly behind Lara, not so sure he'd make my top 5 though.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Am a fan of Tendulkar myself, just don't rate him quite as highly as many. For mine he'd make my top 10 cricketers of all-time, slightly behind Lara, not so sure he'd make my top 5 though.
See that is all understandable. The point here is that apart from the one obvious exception, there hasn't been any real fanboyism at play here and those who have rated Sachin as the 3rd best probably do think he is the 3rd best for purely cricketing reasons... I understand you don't share that opinion and neither do I but surely it is not exactly a crime to think he is the 3rd greatest cricketer of all time. :)

vcs

The idea that a guy with the most test runs, most test centuries, most ODI runs, most ODI centuries, and who has been playing for 20 years, is on the poll ahead of Lara because of fanboyism is absurd.

Lara could well have been on the poll, as well as Greg Chappell, Glenn McGrath and Marshall etc. But Sachin most definitely deserved that place.
Word.

And anyway, there's an "Other, please specify" option. :p

Teja.

Global Moderator
For ****s sake, The whole 'Anyone-who-mentions-Sachin-in-any-thread-is-a-fanboi-who-is-trying-to-derail-the-thread' victimization complex is hundred times worse than excessive Tendulkar love. The worst part is the people engaging in the former far outnumber the latter now.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Personally, I like people being passionate about their teams and their players. We are talking about our homelands and our countrymen, of course we should be proud. The thing that often bothers me about CW is that people tend to get too wrapped up in seeming balanced or unbiased.

Having said that, I know what zinzan means. Lately we've seen people arguing if Tendulkar is as good as Bradman which is just ridiculous. There are certain people who said they'd vote for Murali over Tendulkar in this exact kind of discussion, yet Murali has 1 vote.

Last edited:

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Guys, can we please keep to the discussion on the relative merits of players, and not the relative merits of other people's posting habits.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Personally, I like people being passionate about their teams and their players. We are talking about our homelands and our countrymen, of course we should be proud. The thing that often bothers me about CW is that people tend to get too wrapped up in seeming balanced or unbiased.

Having said that, I know what zinzan means. Lately we've seen people arguing if Tendulkar is as good as Bradman which is just ridiculous. There are certain people who said they'd vote for Murali over Tendulkar in this exact kind of discussion, yet Murali has 1 vote.
Being biased is fine as long as you are not being borderline derogatory to others' who are probably just as good.

That said, agree with Teja here.. As I have pointed out, with the exception of one, others who are arguing for Sachin seem to be presenting fairly decent arguments based on cricketing merits alone.

Last edited:

Teja.

Global Moderator

Having said that, I know what zinzan means. Lately we've seen people arguing if Tendulkar is as good as Bradman which is just ridiculous.
We've had one poster lately argue that Tendulkar's impact as a cricketer is greater than Bradman's, which I agree is a completely ludicrous POV.

However, we've had dozens of posts on CC lately who mention/persecute an imaginary Tendulkar-Fanboyism even when there is none shown. This gets extremely tiresome after sometime.

Uppercut

Haha serious?