• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Aamer Situation

If found guilty, Aamer should be banned for:

• Total voters

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Interesting piece by Simon Wilde and Osman Samiuddin (who I don't know much about) in the Sunday Times today - starts off by rubbishing the idea that Pakistani players in general, but Amir in particular, are poorly paid and a convincing argument they put up too - if the point, which seems to be the case, is that Amir's age shouldn't count in his favour they do however rather argue against themselves by explaining the hierarchical nature of Pakistani society and the deference shown by the young and inexperienced to the supposedly older and wiser

Wilde wrote a book about the Cronje affair so his opinions on these issues come from knowledge, experience and understanding so to my mind at least carry rather more weight than those of some of his fellow journos

G.I.Joe

International Coach
I don't know if that's how the legal system views it, and admittedly if they do, they've probably had a lot of thought put into it over the years. I still can't bring myself to agree with it. All men created equal etc..

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't know if that's how the legal system views it, and admittedly if they do, they've probably had a lot of thought put into it over the years. I still can't bring myself to agree with it. All men created equal etc..
Banning me from test cricket for life and banning Amir from test cricket for life aren't "equal" punishments, though, is the point. Equality is an easy concept to support but a difficult one to define.

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
People who think that spot fixing isn't bad as match fixing are the one's with sympathy for someone like Aamer.... if he's involved in it... **** the ****er... ban for life as far as i care.
As for First offence ? Sure i'll go commit murder tomorrow and say it's my first offence.... do you think i'd get away with it?

As far as i'm censored spot fixing is bad as match fixing and thats the worse crime you can commit in terms of cricket same as murder in real life....
What a load of donkey ****. Murder = Spot fixing?????

Xuhaib

International Coach
when we are deciding punishment for cheating age should never be taken in to account, does that mean we make cheating mandatory at all levals for students under 18?

The only reason I feel sorry for Aamer is i am convinced people in the upper hierarchy are involved. Recently a lot of unusual stuff has happened Ijaz Ahmed and Salim Malik getting high profile coaching jobs when there was a court ruling that they would never be allowed in Pakistan cricket setup. Mysterious sidelining of Younis and Mo Yo despite the filthy batting displays.Last week I was in Lahore and one of my cousin tole me that Imran Farhat's father in law who is also a current selector runs the biggest betting syndicate in Lahore usually i ignore the ****er but this is the same guy who for the past 2-3 years kept on shouting that Salman butt and Kamran Akmal are part of a betting mafia.

If there are high level officials involved I doubt aamer could refuse them and the worse part is don't think he would be in a position to expose them so at the very best we can expect Aamer to be gone for atleast 5 years.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Banning me from test cricket for life and banning Amir from test cricket for life aren't "equal" punishments, though, is the point. Equality is an easy concept to support but a difficult one to define.
But banning you from the job you do and banning Aamer from the job he does are.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
when we are deciding punishment for cheating age should never be taken in to account, does that mean we make cheating mandatory at all levals for students under 18?
No-one's saying that his youth means that he's not guilty and that he shouldn't be punished if found guilty. Of course an 18-year-old knows what's right and wrong, and if the charges are proven he should be punished. But it's a mitigating factor - ie something that can properly be taken into account when assessing his sentence.

What's the cut off point where youth is not an excuse and he can be held responsible wholly for the decisions he makes?
Again, no-one's saying he's not wholly responsible for his decisions because of his age. But his youth is a mitigating factor.

Nor is there any need to identify a cut-off point. There's no cut off point between day and night, yet day exists and night exists and it's mostly pretty easy to tell them apart.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Nor is there any need to identify a cut-off point. There's no cut off point between day and night, yet day exists and night exists and it's mostly pretty easy to tell them apart.
Afraid there is..Night is the period between fifteen minutes after sunset and fifteen minutes before sunrise..

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It doesn't solve the question either- you're just left wondering when exactly sunrise and sunset are. Just accept the concept of a continuous scale and deal imo.

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain

The only reason I feel sorry for Aamer is i am convinced people in the upper hierarchy are involved. Recently a lot of unusual stuff has happened Ijaz Ahmed and Salim Malik getting high profile coaching jobs when there was a court ruling that they would never be allowed in Pakistan cricket setup. Mysterious sidelining of Younis and Mo Yo despite the filthy batting displays.Last week I was in Lahore and one of my cousin tole me that Imran Farhat's father in law who is also a current selector runs the biggest betting syndicate in Lahore usually i ignore the ****er but this is the same guy who for the past 2-3 years kept on shouting that Salman butt and Kamran Akmal are part of a betting mafia.

If there are high level officials involved I doubt aamer could refuse them and the worse part is don't think he would be in a position to expose them so at the very best we can expect Aamer to be gone for atleast 5 years.
Interesting revelations there....so sad that a talent like Amir is going to be wasted at the hands of some ****ing crooks in pcb.

pskov

International 12th Man
It doesn't solve the question either- you're just left wondering when exactly sunrise and sunset are. Just accept the concept of a continuous scale and deal imo.
Actually sunset and sunrise times are readily available and, as they are (99.99%) the same every year, if you work in an industry like farming or fishing where you need to know when sunrise/sunset is you may well know them off by heart. At the very least you look them up for the week in advance.

Sunrise and Sunset for U.K. – England – London – coming days