• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Aamer Situation

If found guilty, Aamer should be banned for:

• Total voters

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
Examples in the past would have done **** all tbh. These players if they were match fixing all knew that getting caught would be the end of their careers in all likelihood. The punishment was always going to be known to them, the money incentive just outweighed the risk.

Punishing them hard will hardly end match fixing, sure they deserve it but lets not fool ourselves into thinking that whatever happens to them is going to change much down the track for different players in similar circumstances.

It's ending the circumstances that this happens in that will end match fixing.
Actually, if I was a Pakistani player, especially with Butt's connections, I would be pretty confident that whatever I did, if I got caught, there would be a brief period of unpleasantness, and maybe a six-month period on the outer - tops - before all was forgiven and it was business as usual. Do you think Asif behaves in a way that suggests that he feels he's on thin ice, despite getting away at least twice with what should be career ending transgressions? Before his apparent decision to stand aside on conscience (hmmmm), do you think Afridi felt that if he were to be caught blatently tampering with pitch or ball on field, it would affect his spot in the team? Do you think players watching his example felt that way after they saw him become captain?

You can maybe make that argument across a broad international context, but in the case of Pakistan, it's pretty clear that there's been a major disconnect between players committing serious breaches and anything in the way of lasting consequences.

Athlai

Not Terrible
But Athlai, let's assume that the two of them didn't fix matches, but did just the spot fixing. Surely in that case their thought process would have been along the lines of rationalising it by considering spot fixing a much lesser crime than match fixing. We need to make it clear once and for all that there shouldn't be this distinction, and any sort of fixing will attract the maximum punishment possible.
Na you'd be fairly sure that they'd have thought getting caught while possibly not ending their careers would still pretty much ruin their lives and tarnish their reputation's both in the game and outside of it.

It's all about the money IMO.

DingDong

State Captain
But Athlai, let's assume that the two of them didn't fix matches, but did just the spot fixing. Surely in that case their thought process would have been along the lines of rationalising it by considering spot fixing a much lesser crime than match fixing. We need to make it clear once and for all that there shouldn't be this distinction, and any sort of fixing will attract the maximum punishment possible.
yeah ban them for life. i like aamir a lot but u dont want to set a bad precedent. if the bans dont work as athlai said, so what? its at least one less cheat in the game

Athlai

Not Terrible
Actually, if I was a Pakistani player, especially with Butt's connections, I would be pretty confident that whatever I did, if I got caught, there would be a brief period of unpleasantness, and maybe a six-month period on the outer - tops - before all was forgiven and it was business as usual. Do you think Asif behaves in a way that suggests that he feels he's on thin ice, despite getting away at least twice with what should be career ending transgressions? Before his apparent decision to stand aside on conscience (hmmmm), do you think Afridi felt that if he were to be caught blatently tampering with pitch or ball on field, it would affect his spot in the team? Do you think players watching his example felt that way after they saw him become captain?

You can maybe make that argument across a broad international context, but in the case of Pakistan, it's pretty clear that there's been a major disconnect between players committing serious breaches and anything in the way of lasting consequences.
This match fixing thing has in some reports been tied to the PCB so we'll have to see what happens in that regard.

The PCB is a joke tbh and I see what you mean but you'd really have to clean out that house before any truly positive changes can be made.

DingDong

State Captain
The PCB is a joke tbh and I see what you mean but you'd really have to clean out that house before any truly positive changes can be made.
and the first postive change would be to start banning cheats.

i cant believe that u dont feel strongly about this considering uve been a cricket fan all your life. ive only been watching cricket 2 years and im hurtin bad

Athlai

Not Terrible
and the first postive change would be to start banning cheats.

i cant believe that u dont feel strongly about this considering uve been a cricket fan all your life. ive only been watching cricket 2 years and im hurtin bad
Been a cricket fan for about 3 years tbh. And I do feel strongly about it but I'd rather see punishments doled out to the cause of the problem rather than the players at the bottom of it. Yes they should be punished but Amir and probably some of the other younger Pakistani guys don't deserve life time bans if they weren't throwing matches. They deserve to be left out in the cold for a good long while but not for life.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
With Aamer if it is the case that his arm has really been twisted into bowling these no balls then he should not be given a life ban IMO. The guy is only 18 and is going to be convinced pretty easily when faced with an ultimatum.

Even if he was guilty I am not sure I would be in favour of giving him a life ban. If this was a real life crime he had commited he would likely get a lighter sentence and a second chance due to his age and the same should apply here I would say. People who are 18 tend to be pretty reckless and do things they should not do, that is a way of life. The kid has made a mistake, should his entire career be cut off before it has even started?
I don't think it's fair on Aamer to chop his career down so early but I don't see why the discussion of what the right course of action here is should be influenced by what damage it might cause to one crooked man. Even if he does have a particularly sympathy-inducing babyface.

Whatever decision is made needs to be made for the good of the game as a whole, because this has the potential to **** the entire sport up. Personally I agree with Scaly; the only way anything less than a life ban would be better for the game is if he co-operates fully and gives evidence against other players. You just can't run a sport successfully if people with a history of this kind of thing are allowed to participate. It removes its integrity altogether.

Zinzan

Life-time ban for all players concerned for mine, simple.

They need to make an example of anyone prepared to bring the game into disrepute, I couldn't care less that it's 'spot betting' as opposed to traditional match-fixing, it doesn't make it any more forgivable.

The only perverse thing will be if the corruption is somehow traced back to the PCP, or they can prove their lives were threatening, other than that no excuse by from Asif or Amir should be enough to avoid a life-ban, they'll be damn lucky to escape criminal convictions.

Uppercut

I don't think people realise the extent of the negative effect of known cheats playing a sport. The wicket keeper would sledge him with it every time he came out to bat. The commentators would struggle not to make reference every time he bowled a no-ball. Every loose dismissal would be questioned on message boards all over the internet.

We're watching a match, and everyone is talking about match-fixing and bookies. And those that aren't are thinking about it. No matter how well he bowls or how good a career he has, every time someone mentions Mohammad Amir we'll all immediately think "crook". The world of cricket just can't live with such a dark elephant in the room lingering around like a bad smell.

DingDong

State Captain
I don't think people realise the extent of the negative effect of known cheats playing a sport. The wicket keeper would sledge him with it every time he came out to bat. The commentators would struggle not to make reference every time he bowled a no-ball. Every loose dismissal would be questioned on message boards all over the internet.

We're watching a match, and everyone is talking about match-fixing and bookies. And those that aren't are thinking about it. No matter how well he bowls or how good a career he has, every time someone mentions Mohammad Amir we'll all immediately think "crook". The world of cricket just can't live with such a dark elephant in the room lingering around like a bad smell.
great post.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Give yourself an uppercut son. The poor guy was mislead, so I feel he should only get a 20 year sentence. If he was say 19 or 20 (which he probably is, lying ****ing Pakis), then it'd be a harsher penalty, like death or something reasonable for the crime.

At the moment he is still developing both mentally and physically, and could have other problems, perhaps at home, abusive fathers, facing arranged marriages with ugly women, or being confused about his ***uality.

Leave the poor bloke alone.
wow

Uppercut

But I don't care in the slightest whether it's fair on Amir. He's just some crooked kid. I want a life ban because that's what I feel is best for cricket.

kingpin

State Vice-Captain
Give yourself an uppercut son. The poor guy was mislead, so I feel he should only get a 20 year sentence. If he was say 19 or 20 (which he probably is, lying ****ing Pakis), then it'd be a harsher penalty, like death or something reasonable for the crime.

At the moment he is still developing both mentally and physically, and could have other problems, perhaps at home, abusive fathers, facing arranged marriages with ugly women, or being confused about his ***uality.

Leave the poor bloke alone.
Excuse me sir,Never use **** referring to Pakistan It offends some people....:mellow:

Spark

Global Moderator
Thats what she said.
Check and mate.

Was wondering what was going on in this thread, was amusing while it lasted.

EDIT: Saw the other thread... trolls these days, they hardly even try anymore, don't they? I remember when...

Last edited: