• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Aamer Situation

If found guilty, Aamer should be banned for:

• Total voters

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Can't believe people want to let him off simply because he's talented.
You said it. And also trying to find a justification for him saying he might have been asked to do so by his captain. Yeah I asked my driver to kidnap my neighbour's ***y 20 year old daughter for me yesterday and the SOB refused, can you believe it and on top of that he went and told my wife !!!

Of course Aamir couldn't have told Butt's wife - how about telling the manager instead ?

Athlai

Not Terrible
You said it. And also trying to find a justification for him saying he might have been asked to do so by his captain. Yeah I asked my driver to kidnap my neighbour's ***y 20 year old daughter for me yesterday and the SOB refused, can you believe it and on top of that he went and told my wife !!!

Of course Aamir couldn't have told Butt's wife - how about telling the manager instead ?
Dobbing in your teammate is hardly an easy thing to do you'd think. Nor would I compare a violent crime to match fixing.

And maybe the manager was in on it too!

:ph34r:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Dobbing in your teammate is hardly an easy thing to do you'd think. Nor would I compare a violent crime to match fixing.

And maybe the manager was in on it too!

:ph34r:
Yeah, maybe.

It still doesn't make it right though.

DingDong

State Captain
Can't believe people want to let him off simply because he's talented.
exactly. match fixing is the worst crime possible in cricket, comparable to killing somebody in real life. and anybody fixing games should be given the worst possible punishment-a life time ban.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
TBH, I think that a life ban wouldn't be as harsh on Amir as it would be on Asif. Amir's just 18. If he's banned from cricket, he has the option of getting into school and preparing himself for a living doing something else. Sure he'd have to bear the shame day in and day out, but he's got no one to blame for it but himself.

Asif, at 27, probably doesn't have that option, unless working the Indonesia-Australia route counts as one.

DingDong

State Captain
TBH, I think that a life ban wouldn't be as harsh on Amir as it would be on Asif. Amir's just 18. If he's banned from cricket, he has the option of getting into school and preparing himself for a living doing something else. Sure he'd have to bear the shame day in and day out, but he's got no one to blame for it but himself.

Asif, at 27, probably doesn't have that option, unless working the Indonesia-Australia route counts as one.
what would be ur punishment for aamir gi joe?

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member

yeah I'd feel so bad for Asif....

I honestly will feel sick to my stomach if these guys are not given life bans if found guilty. Don't think I'd ever be able to watch Pakistan play again in this generation of cricketers.

Athlai

Not Terrible
so what sort of punishment would u hand out to aamir?
Really depends on what he actually did. If he was involved in throwing a match and under performing deliberately to change a result then I think he should be banned for life. Spot fixing I'm less bothered by so I'd say 3-5 years would be fair enough.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
yeah I'd feel so bad for Asif....

I honestly will feel sick to my stomach if these guys are not given life bans if found guilty. Don't think I'd ever be able to watch Pakistan play again in this generation of cricketers.
Nah, I'm not saying I want Asif to go scott free. I just think Amir's age shouldn't count for him getting a lesser sentence for the same crime as Asif. If anything, Asif should pay mroe in view of his track record.

DingDong

State Captain
Really depends on what he actually did. If he was involved in throwing a match and under performing deliberately to change a result then I think he should be banned for life. Spot fixing I'm less bothered by so I'd say 3-5 years would be fair enough.
ur just a big softie. he's a cheat for gods sake. examples need to be made RIGHT NOW or nothing will ever change.

DingDong

State Captain
Nah, I'm not saying I want Asif to go scott free. I just think Amir's age shouldn't count for him getting a lesser sentence for the same crime as Asif. If anything, Asif should pay mroe in view of his track record.
his past problems arent related to match fixing, plus he has already been punished (sort of) for them. i dont see how u can punish asif again for crimes he's already been punished for

G.I.Joe

International Coach
what would be ur punishment for aamir gi joe?
I don't know, DingDong. It's got to be a minimum of 10 years IMO. A joke punishment will only ensure that future cricketers do the maths and decide that its worthwhile to try and get away with similar behaviour.

Athlai

Not Terrible
ur just a big softie. he's a cheat for gods sake. examples need to be made RIGHT NOW or nothing will ever change.
Examples in the past would have done **** all tbh. These players if they were match fixing all knew that getting caught would be the end of their careers in all likelihood. The punishment was always going to be known to them, the money incentive just outweighed the risk.

Punishing them hard will hardly end match fixing, sure they deserve it but lets not fool ourselves into thinking that whatever happens to them is going to change much down the track for different players in similar circumstances.

It's ending the circumstances that this happens in that will end match fixing.

DingDong

State Captain
Examples in the past would have done **** all tbh. These players if they were match fixing all knew that getting caught would be the end of their careers in all likelihood. The punishment was always going to be known to them, the money incentive just outweighed the risk.

Punishing them hard will hardly end match fixing, sure they deserve it but lets not fool ourselves into thinking that whatever happens to them is going to change much down the track for different players in similar circumstances.

no past punishments were not strong enough. most of the cheats got away with just fines. punishments might not change things in the long run but its better giving the cheats joke fines and suspensions.

G.I.Joe

International Coach

But Athlai, let's assume that the two of them didn't fix matches, but did just the spot fixing. Surely in that case their thought process would have been along the lines of rationalising it by considering spot fixing a much lesser crime than match fixing. We need to make it clear once and for all that there shouldn't be this distinction, and any sort of fixing will attract the maximum punishment possible.