• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Aamer Situation

If found guilty, Aamer should be banned for:

• Total voters

Migara

International Coach
For those who dont know, here is their (News of the World) exposure of John Higgins the snooker player

How world snooker champion John Higgins plots to betray his fans for cash | News Of The World
And this is how they were caught acting dirty.

In 2003, Mahmood was responsible for reporting an alleged plot to kidnap Victoria Beckham to the police. The subsequent trial collapsed after it emerged that Mahmood's main informant, Florim Gashi had been paid £10,000 and could not be considered a reliable witness, and was later deported from the UK. Judge Simon Smith referred the News of the World's role in the affair to the Attorney General. One of the men involved later sued the News of the World for libel but lost.
Mazher Mahmood - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Any one can say that Wiki is not a reliable source. But would appreciate that there won't be smoke without fire

Migara

International Coach
It came from a confidential source that's it.....Well we can never know may Asif and Amir were forced to do the no-ball thingy....
BTW Randiv must be biting his nail's somwhere in Sri Lanka.:laugh:
He was biting his nail what would retards at SLC would do. As expected the retards banned him for one match.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
The bookie could be trying to frame players because they refused for all we know or could be just boasting to impress the NOTW reporter who acted as someone who wanted to fix a match by saying half truths or lies.

Let's wait and watch the investigation and whether anything is conclusively proved before jumping to any conclusions.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Looking forward to the reception Amir receives when he comes out to bat today. Hope he gets torn a new one by the crowd.

Migara

International Coach
Precisely the culture of denial the match fixers thrive on, frankly.
And we precisely know that "investigative" media business is only behind weapons, drugs and human rights when it comes to profit making businesses.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Occam's Razor - entities must not be multiplied beyond necessity i.e. the simpler explanation is probably right

1. The NOTW finds a suspected match-fixer, gains his trust with piles of cash and secretly films him watching the test telling them that he knows the next delivery will be a no-ball, which it is. They then hand this over to the police who arrest the suspected match-fixer.

2. The NOTW convinces a well known hanger on to the Pakistani team to pretend to be a match-fixer, they get him in a room with lots of cash and playback a video of the test and get him to say the next ball will be a no-ball, which they know because it has already happened. They then forge the timestamp on the video and hand it to the police who then arrest the guy the paper convinced to pretend to be a match-fixer. Let's hope he doesn't say anything about agreeing to fabricate this so we don't get sued for millions of pounds!
QFT. Spot on.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
And this is how they were caught acting dirty.

In 2003, Mahmood was responsible for reporting an alleged plot to kidnap Victoria Beckham to the police. The subsequent trial collapsed after it emerged that Mahmood's main informant, Florim Gashi had been paid £10,000 and could not be considered a reliable witness, and was later deported from the UK. Judge Simon Smith referred the News of the World's role in the affair to the Attorney General. One of the men involved later sued the News of the World for libel but lost.
Out of interest, how does this show the NOTW to have been caught acting dirty? I don't know the details of this case, but from what you've posted it doesn't seem that any mud stuck against them at all. The unreliable witness was not Mahmood but his informant; the Attorney-General presumably took no action against the NOTW; and the NOTW won the libel case brought against them (and under English libel law it is notoriously tough for defendant newspapers to win).

I can't believe I'm sticking up for the News of the Screws, a rag for which I have real contempt. But their investigative journalism is of a relatively high quality.

Migara

International Coach
Out of interest, how does this show the NOTW to have been caught acting dirty? I don't know the details of this case, but from what you've posted it doesn't seem that any mud stuck against them at all. The unreliable witness was not Mahmood but his informant; the Attorney-General presumably took no action against the NOTW; and the NOTW won the libel case brought against them (and under English libel law it is notoriously tough for defendant newspapers to win).

I can't believe I'm sticking up for the News of the Screws, a rag for which I have real contempt. But their investigative journalism is of a relatively high quality.
Somebody has paid money to the witness (who was giving evidence on behalf of Mahmood, who was in turn working for NOTW). It's not difficult to figure out who has paid that money. May be in your neck of woods these things may be rare. Where I come from, is notorious fro fabrication of these stories. That's why I have been programmed to question evidence before accepting it more than you people are used to.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Somebody has paid money to the witness (who was giving evidence on behalf of Mahmood, who was in turn working for NOTW). It's not difficult to figure out who has paid that money. May be in your neck of woods these things may be rare. Where I come from, is notorious fro fabrication of these stories. That's why I have been programmed to question evidence before accepting it more than you people are used to.
I think I have a healthily cynical outlook - in my professional life I have defended a lot of alleged criminals and so am prepared to scrutinise allegations of wrongdoing, and the evidence presented for them, with deep suspicion - but the nature of the evidence here is such that it's really hard to see much room for the newspaper to falsify this. Are we really saying that the video is falsified? Or that Majeed has somehow tried to set up the players for whom he works as agent, and in the process bringing criminal charges on himself? See pskov's post on Occam's Razor.

Top_Cat

heh, yep. I mean, keeping an open mind is healthy but far out, if I was a prosecutor, I'd be in a very good mood about this.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
How can captain's that do this ever get appointed? Was there talk that PCB officials are actually involved?
Speaks well in public.

That's about it AFAICS. Even leaving aside what has now been alleged, tactically Butt looked pretty fecking clueless.

Burgey

I think I have a healthily cynical outlook - in my professional life I have defended a lot of alleged criminals and so am prepared to scrutinise allegations of wrongdoing, and the evidence presented for them, with deep suspicion - but the nature of the evidence here is such that it's really hard to see much room for the newspaper to falsify this. Are we really saying that the video is falsified? Or that Majeed has somehow tried to set up the players for whom he works as agent, and in the process bringing criminal charges on himself? See pskov's post on Occam's Razor.
This. Almost my experience to the letter as well.

Believe it or not, sometimes there ISN'T a conspiracy guys...

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, everyone needs to remain willing to objectively review the evidence, but clutching at straws here Migara IMO, to claim the whole thing is a fabrication.

Would also agree with others that have said that they're not prone to accepting media stuff blindly. I'm not either, but am also constantly amazed at some peoples readiness to imagine unlikely conspiracies rather than accept disappointing truths. There can be a thin line sometimes between a healthy skepticism and denial.

Last edited:

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
If people don't advocate a full lifetime ban for TAKING MONEY TO ALTER THE GAME, then this sport is dead.

Pete Rose was banned from baseball for life betting on games he wasn't even playing in. Cricket has zero integrity left if tomorrow morning any of these players are on allowed on Lord's pitch, or any pitch. Ever.
I thought Rose was banned for betting that his team would win games he was playing (or maybe managing, I forget) in? :huh:

Burgey

LOL.. more than who? Seriously mate, Fertang, Mr Z, myself and a few others here get paid to question evidence every day.

I won't speak for them, but I'm fairly confident in saying we'd like to be walking into court with the prosecution brief here, based on what we've seen.

EDIT: And I read the thread title and automatically think of "The Bonnie Situation" from Pulp Fiction.

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Come on chaps, it's obvious Migara's still tilting at those colonial windmills.

Not the first instance of it either.

stumpski

International Captain
Might be time to let this thread die tbh ... can't see why we need two (or three) basically discussing the same thing.