• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Pakistan in England 2010

tooextracool

International Coach
Flintoff must have the highest hostile-spells-to-wickets-taken ratio of any bowler I've seen, TBF. He looked by far the biggest threat in Chennai when India were chasing 387 on the fifth day.
Well yeah usually hes hostile but he bowls on the body and hence doesnt take wickets. This was different because it was a combination of hostile and intelligent, which is why he actually got a 5fer.

Jacknife

International Captain
I wouldnt put the Oval performance anywhere close. I haven't seen a spell as hostile as his Lord's spell from an England fast bowler in my years of watching. Its one thing to bowl well in overcast and bowler friendly conditions (after being tonked around when the sun was out the previous day) as he did at the Oval. Its another thing to bowl at 93-94 mph on one leg on a dead flat track and have even the settled batters like Clarke and Haddin hop around like novices.
True,having just watched it back,you just don't see bowling like the spell Flintoff produced at Lords anywhere around world cricket and not too many bowlers capable of it.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
His over to Ponting at Edgbatson in 2005 is my particular favourite. Bowls Langer first ball of the over, has Ponting in absolute knots for 5 balls, Ponting thinks he's survived but the final ball of the over is a no-ball, so with the 7th ball of the over Flintoff gets him to nick one.

In my years watching cricket, I don't think I've ever seen such a high class batsman look so utterly clueless as Ponting did that over.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Edgbaston 08 a personal favourite of mine, think he only took a 3fer as well, 4 maybe. First innings.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Edgbaston 08 a personal favourite of mine, think he only took a 3fer as well, 4 maybe. First innings.
Was that the one where he made Kallis look like a club player?

Although iirc as uncomfortable as he made Kallis look, he didn't get his wicket. Hence why his over at Ponting wins it for me.

tooextracool

International Coach
Was that the one where he made Kallis look like a club player?

Although iirc as uncomfortable as he made Kallis look, he didn't get his wicket. Hence why his over at Ponting wins it for me.
well you remember incorrectly because he got Kallis bowled with a yorker. That spell is a bit overrated because Kallis had clearly difficulty in seeing the ball, a problem that we've seen before at Edgbaston

tooextracool

International Coach
Interesting pic on the front page of cricinfo. I call this the crooked bat syndrome. Why is it that half our batsmen cant bat with a straight bat? Its a fundamental weakness really. We have Gooch and Flower both obsessed with technique, and yet we see players like Collingwood, Cook, Strauss and even Bell flashing their blades in this manner.

Theres 2 problems with this. One it leaves a gap between bat and pad and 2 it increases the chance of an inside edge onto the stumps.

Attachments

Last edited:

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Interesting pic on the front page of cricinfo. I call this the crooked bat syndrome. Why is it that half our batsmen cant bat with a straight bat? Its a fundamental weakness really. We have Gooch and Flower both obsessed with technique, and yet we see players like Collingwood, Cook, Strauss and even Bell flashing their blades in this manner.

Theres 2 problems with this. One it leaves a gap between bat and pad and 2 it increases the chance of an inside edge onto the stumps.
If you get an outside edge it's much less likely to carry, though. Although against Pakistan you generally much prefer getting an outside edge to getting an inside edge.

Uppercut

well you remember incorrectly because he got Kallis bowled with a yorker. That spell is a bit overrated because Kallis had clearly difficulty in seeing the ball, a problem that we've seen before at Edgbaston
The ball that got Kallis was beastly though. Was dead-straight until the last moment when it swerved to the left of Kallis's grounded bat and took off-stump. Freddie may as well have been sitting behind it with a steering wheel.

tooextracool

International Coach
If you get an outside edge it's much less likely to carry, though. Although against Pakistan you generally much prefer getting an outside edge to getting an inside edge.
Not really IMO. As Cook shows on a regular basis. I mean it may help a little bit but how far the ball carries is almost entirely dependent upon whether you let the ball hit the bat (that is play with soft hands a la Dravid) or if you go hard at the delivery ( a la Cook).

Uppercut

Well with Cook's footwork he's useless against the moving ball whether his bat's straight or not. If he was leaden-footed it probably wouldn't even be as bad. It's that he's obviously been told "you have to move your feet" and it isn't natural for him to do so, and he ends up with a half-hearted little stumble that knocks him completely off balance and opens up just about every mode of dismissal you can think of.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
His over to Ponting at Edgbatson in 2005 is my particular favourite. Bowls Langer first ball of the over, has Ponting in absolute knots for 5 balls, Ponting thinks he's survived but the final ball of the over is a no-ball, so with the 7th ball of the over Flintoff gets him to nick one.

In my years watching cricket, I don't think I've ever seen such a high class batsman look so utterly clueless as Ponting did that over.
Truly a great over..everyone who saw that Ashes remembers that over. Changed the entire series..
I have often found myself logging on to youtube and looking for that over.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
The ball that got Kallis was beastly though. Was dead-straight until the last moment when it swerved to the left of Kallis's grounded bat and took off-stump. Freddie may as well have been sitting behind it with a steering wheel.
Ha, what a lovely description

vcs

Look at this one. :-O

Malinga also got Sachin LBW on 84 with a beauty in the 2nd innings of the first Test of the recent series. Dhoni as well.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I think they only do that from day three onwards. Easier to make up time at the end of the day in England because of dew etc.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Admittedly I am hungover, but I'm pretty sure Botham was talking sense, not just once, but twice there. It's the end of days, people! Flee!