• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Rahul Dravid

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I have always had faith in Dravid like I had in Tendulkar. Would never think of dropping these two gems from the team.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
I have always had faith in Dravid like I had in Tendulkar. Would never think of dropping these two gems from the team.
Dont you think that it is bit too early to declare that Dravid is back into form ? He was mediocre for almost two years or 25 tests.

For me he will have to perform with little more consistency to say "He is Back" and I hope he does.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I've always had faith in Dravid as well, and I always had faith in Tendulkar in 2005 and early-2006. However, both of them pushed it close to the limit. Tendulkar was almost at the stage where I was thinking it was maybe time for him to be dropped. Fortunately, from the SA tour of 2006/07 onwards he's demonstrated most of his old capability again and currently there's absolutely no question of it.

Dravid, well, if he can make something very big here then he's bought himself some more time - if he wants it. I'm still not completely ruling-out Dravid retiring after this game if he gets 150 - Graham Thorpe said something similar in 2003, that he felt tempted to retire after a comeback century having proven he could still do it. Fortunately he didn't, because sticking-around paid-off gloriously for him and he experienced enormous success over the next year. I hope if Dravid takes the same course of action he can achieve similar, but I'm not yet taking it for granted that he's back. He's still only made 60-odd so far.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Again Dravid isn't a hard hitter he is a good timer of the ball.. so i don't agree with that..

let me ask you this.. since u watched the game.. do you think it is English bowlers or the Pitch that caused him to make runs in such a low strike rate..
England bowled decent areas, as they have all tour, but even by Dravid's standards his start was slow - not that that's been unusual of late either, it's pretty common when a player is struggling for runs.

However, after he got to 20 or 30, he's been striking the ball nicely and finding some very small gaps.

And TBH I don't see what Dravid being a timer rather than a striker has to do with anything I said in my previous post. :unsure:

krkode

State Captain
Whether or not he's back in form, good to see Dravid scoring runs again, though. I always imagined the way to really get yourself out of a tough slump is to really clamp down and just fight for every run. If you've been out of form for as long as Dravid has, it's highly unlikely you're going to come out with guns blazing - it's going to be a scrappy, hard-fought innings. In as such, this was entirely expected. Would love to see him make a 100. :)

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
A bloke who averages 50+ at Test level, if persevered with, will eventually score some runs. Good on him against a decent attack and I hope he scores more but he's far from out of the woods yet.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Dont you think that it is bit too early to declare that Dravid is back into form ? He was mediocre for almost two years or 25 tests.

For me he will have to perform with little more consistency to say "He is Back" and I hope he does.
I have had faith in him. I am not saying that he is in form or not. We all know that he hasn't been in form.

neutralguy

U19 Debutant
Dravid gets a lifeline to play in next series against new zealand.We will know whether he is really back in form then:) , if new zealand prepares wickets better than the tour of 2003, which was a shame.

krkode

State Captain
Dravid gets a lifeline to play in next series against new zealand.We will know whether he is really back in form then:) , if new zealand prepares wickets better than the tour of 2003, which was a shame.
Nice thing is, among all the Indian batsmen, Dravid is probably the best at playing in NZ conditions.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Better for what, batting?

Sir Alex

Banned
:( He appeared to be regaining his mojo back last year with two hundreds against Lanka at home but has struggled to score anything of note on his latest comeback from injuries. Hope he regain his form soon as his experience will be invaluable in the coming series against Aus and the tour to SA.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Seems to be in good flow while batting.. Guess it is one of those things when a combo of bad shot selection/good balls/ bad running/50-50 decision going against you kinda stuff...

Hopefully he will get his big scores back in the home series but we will have to wait and see...

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Seems to be in good flow while batting.. Guess it is one of those things when a combo of bad shot selection/good balls/ bad running/50-50 decision going against you kinda stuff...

Hopefully he will get his big scores back in the home series but we will have to wait and see...
This.

Played a nice little innings today, shame he got out. :(

weldone

Hall of Fame Member

awta...

I always thought Dravid is a kind of batsman who rely less on instinct, and more on application (unlike, say, someone like Viv Richards, Ponting or for that matter Botham). Generally, these kind of players don't lose touch too easily with increasing age...

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
So when do you people guess Pujara or other young blood will get their chance?
In place of Dravid or Sachin? Once they retire, probably. In place of Yuvraj or Raina? Once they consistently fail (Yuvraj has, already). In place of Laxman? Not sure.

R_D

International Debutant

Yeah agree with this.

I do hope he gets some big scores in the next series...... Team India really needs in form Dravid for tour of South Africa later in the year.