• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ricky Ponting should be sacked

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah but the decks last time were puddings. Any Indians about have info what they're likely to do this time 'round? Surely considering the weather we're likely to see at least one raging turner.

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah, got on the roll of rolls in 2001. Was largely massacred by Hayden and Gilchrist in the first Test but did bowl a couple of good balls and just generally looked as if he was still trying stuff out, would possibly be dangerous if he put it all together.

Putting it mildly, he came back awfully strongly in Kolkata. The hat-trick was the start of it all and once he hit that groove, just incredible bowling. The Aussies just stopped being able to pick his quicker one then either went too hard at the ball and kept popping his fizzing toppie to the close-in fielders or would play back to nullify the bounce and be nailed to the crease. Barely bowled a turning ball all series, didn't really need to.

Reckon Harbhajan is due a good series from what I've seen of his recent bowling. His top-spinner looks to be coming out well. Bodes ill for an Australian top-order with some awfully leaden footwork right now.
I just don't get why Australian batsmen with one exception are so afraid of using their feet. Surely it's better to give a small chance of one type of dismissal than to plonk the foot down and open up a whole range of dismissals. I mean, do they not look at said batsman and say "hey, that works, I might try that!". I understand not everyone has such light feet but geez at least try.

Top_Cat

Not much exposure to that sort of bowling at a high level, I guess. Blokes who bowl with big top or side-spin are somewhat nullified here so they tend to work on bowling accurately and/or darts.

Also, don't think there's as much emphasis on leaving the crease unless you plan to lose the ball here. Using one's feet just to accumulate runs isn't as commonly taught at junior levels. If guys are bowling darts, makes it hard to do/risk getting stumped/bowled.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
There's a culture throughout Australian cricket of block-block-slog against spin. Even someone like Boof Lehmann talked about how the only time he came out of his crease against spin was to hit maximums. Mind you, he was good enough to work spinners for runs from the crease to rotate the strike, unlike most players.

I still think it's just that Australian players don't like to use their feet until they are well within a comfort zone, and can't do it when they first come in. It allows spinners to settle in on a zone when the batsman is new, and work him over; and why Australians tend to be prone to collapses (over the long term) to spin bowling.

Rant0r

International 12th Man
Don't think you'll see Ponting coming out of the crease to Harbhajan, he's got some kind of hold on him

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
There's a culture throughout Australian cricket of block-block-slog against spin. Even someone like Boof Lehmann talked about how the only time he came out of his crease against spin was to hit maximums
For a second I thought that said 'DLF Maximums' :ph34r:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
There's a culture throughout Australian cricket of block-block-slog against spin. Even someone like Boof Lehmann talked about how the only time he came out of his crease against spin was to hit maximums. Mind you, he was good enough to work spinners for runs from the crease to rotate the strike, unlike most players.

I still think it's just that Australian players don't like to use their feet until they are well within a comfort zone, and can't do it when they first come in. It allows spinners to settle in on a zone when the batsman is new, and work him over; and why Australians tend to be prone to collapses (over the long term) to spin bowling.
You may be right. Interestingly we always used to comment how the Aussies were far better at using their feet to the spinners than the English to work the ball around.

Slater, amongst others, springs to mind.

Could it be that the Aussies are not great at it but still far in advance to their leaden footed English counterparts?

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
Not impressed that Jack's started calling sixes 'maximums'. :ph34r: One of the most cringingly bad new pieces of terminology to have crept into the game in recent times IMO.

Spark

Global Moderator
Don't think you'll see Ponting coming out of the crease to Harbhajan, he's got some kind of hold on him
That isn't always necessary, but as vic said it is imperative that you work them around for singles constantly. That's what Ponting was so good at against other spinners, that's what Clarke is so good at against any spinner. However the "modern" technique, typified by Watson, is as stated, block-block-block-slog and then LBW/caught at short leg.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Not impressed that Jack's started calling sixes 'maximums'. :ph34r: One of the most cringingly bad new pieces of terminology to have crept into the game in recent times IMO.
Yeah you're right. It's either DLF Maximum, or six. Nothing else.

:ph34r:

Rant0r

International 12th Man
Indeed

That isn't always necessary, but as vic said it is imperative that you work them around for singles constantly. That's what Ponting was so good at against other spinners, that's what Clarke is so good at against any spinner. However the "modern" technique, typified by Watson, is as stated, block-block-block-slog and then LBW/caught at short leg.
Hopefully the Bobby Simpson inspired single pushing theory is not lost to us, a lot of the old commentators still insist on it to break up a bowlers rhythm, and are scathing about teams like India and Pakistan who don't do it. Clarke and Hussey are still very good at it

Spark

Global Moderator
Indeed

Hopefully the Bobby Simpson inspired single pushing theory is not lost to us, a lot of the old commentators still insist on it to break up a bowlers rhythm, and are scathing about teams like India and Pakistan who don't do it. Clarke and Hussey are still very good at it
They insist on that because that's precisely does. Pressure-relieving. Stopping singles is more important, usually, than stopping fours.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Indeed

you mean India and Pak can't get singles away against spinners?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Laxman and Sachin proved they take singles excellently on day 5 of the 3rd test. They weren't scoring many boundaries in the first session of day 1, but were getting plenty of runs.

vcs

Laxman and Sachin proved they take singles excellently on day 5 of the 3rd test. They weren't scoring many boundaries in the first session of day 1, but were getting plenty of runs.
Sachin is a master at it, it's what makes him such a great ODI batsman. Laxman also has always been badly treated by India in ODI's IMO. Should have gone to the 2003 WC. ****ing Dinesh Mongia! :@

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Dinesh Mongia :laugh:

I remember in the 2003 WC final when he hit a boundary or two in that big chase and I turned to my dad and said "If he scores here, it'll make up for every single **** performance of his throughout."

He got out shortly after. Wac