• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ricky Ponting should be sacked

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Like I said, depends on how much he wants to stay in the team. It's hardly new for a player to quit rather than compromise.

And, tbh, the Viv example is an interesting one. He moved down the order and prolonged his career to enjoy a few years of relative mediocrity as a batter. The reasons might have been altruistic (shepherd the WI through several retirements, etc.) or they might have been selfish but I do wonder if he kept any good players out. One example, Carlisle Best; was gun but dropped after only 8 Tests, rumours abounded he clashed with Viv. Viv only retired a year or so later but Best was never picked again.

Maybe it would have been better had Viv just stepped aside? I dunno, all hypotheticals.
yeah.. I am pretty sure even Lara would have debuted a little earlier if Viv had moved out by then.. As you said, it is interesting speculation.. And there is no real right or wrong way about this. The individual just has to do what he is comfortable with. Just that, in this case, him moving down would be good for Australia than him quitting altogether, IMO.

Sir Alex

Banned
Depends on the type of pitches that will be put up. I reckon India's best chance is to prepare raging turners and let loose 3 spinners. Raina or someone can bowl seam up with Ishant sharma/Zaheer Khan just to roughen up the new ball.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Depends on the type of pitches that will be put up. I reckon India's best chance is to prepare raging turners and let loose 3 spinners. Raina or someone can bowl seam up with Ishant sharma/Zaheer Khan just to roughen up the new ball.
Haha since when does Raina bowl seam up? Tendulkar would if anyone.

Sir Alex

Banned
Haha since when does Raina bowl seam up? Tendulkar would if anyone.
I think he has done some sort of that in IPL and an ODI a bit back, although I could be wrong. Yeah, Tendulkar is an option but he can't bowl anything more than 3 overs. Bring back Ganguly!

- Checked cricinfo, it lists him as off break. My memory must be playing tricks then.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think he has done some sort of that in IPL and an ODI a bit back, although I could be wrong. Yeah, Tendulkar is an option but he can't bowl anything more than 3 overs. Bring back Ganguly!

- Checked cricinfo, it lists him as off break. My memory must be playing tricks then.
I reckon the last time Sachin bowled seam up was back in '93 or something.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator

Yeah I've seen Raina bowl; he bowls off spin. Hence the question. :p

Top_Cat

Seems to play him much better once set, though.. And that could be the clincher this series, with this attack that we have...
Possibly although I didn't think he was comfortable against Harbhajan at any stage last time India were here. Harbhajan seems to be bowling quite well without getting the results right now so it'll be interesting.

Ganguly's seam up bowling sorely missed :ph34r:
Was a better bowler than most gave him credit for (including those at the pointy end).

Uppercut

Possibly although I didn't think he was comfortable against Harbhajan at any stage last time India were here. Harbhajan seems to be bowling quite well without getting the results right now so it'll be interesting.
He's been played very well lately, but he's a bowler that often turns from a quality bowler into a dangerous one after one early wicket. Finding a thin edge rather than thin air can be the difference between a ton against his name and five wickets in a major victory.

Top_Cat

He's been played very well lately, but he's a bowler that often turns from a quality bowler into a dangerous one after one early wicket. Finding a thin edge rather than thin air can be the difference between a ton against his name and five wickets in a major victory.
Yeah, got on the roll of rolls in 2001. Was largely massacred by Hayden and Gilchrist in the first Test but did bowl a couple of good balls and just generally looked as if he was still trying stuff out, would possibly be dangerous if he put it all together.

Putting it mildly, he came back awfully strongly in Kolkata. The hat-trick was the start of it all and once he hit that groove, just incredible bowling. The Aussies just stopped being able to pick his quicker one then either went too hard at the ball and kept popping his fizzing toppie to the close-in fielders or would play back to nullify the bounce and be nailed to the crease. Barely bowled a turning ball all series, didn't really need to.

Reckon Harbhajan is due a good series from what I've seen of his recent bowling. His top-spinner looks to be coming out well. Bodes ill for an Australian top-order with some awfully leaden footwork right now.

Last edited:

Uppercut

They seem to be dealing with spin quite well at the moment though. The endless collapsing might harm their mentality but the kicker to their absurd inability to handle the slightest bit of swing is that they all, bar North, still have a lot of runs on the board. Even when they struggled on their last tour of India it had a lot to do with some monstrous reverse-swing bowling from Ishant and Zaheer. I don't think it's likely that we'll see so many clumps of Aussie wickets tumble- given that the Indians would retain the trophy, I think 0-0 seems a likely outcome. But all it takes is for one bowler on either side to pull something out of the bag in a particular session and that's out the window.