• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ricky Ponting should be sacked

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
Ricky's pretty tough. Apart from when being run out by prick substitute fielders. And even then he was angry rather than put-off.

They can couch it in terms of making room for all of Hughes, Katich and Watson in the top three, given that's there best positions, and Ponting being the guy who's flexible enough to cope with the change.

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
I'm not disagreeing with you when you say he shouldn't captain the Ashes and I do think both his experience and his skills as a leader are still of immense value of this team. However Clarke isn't exactly bad either, he clearly has the respect of the players and his captaincy in what he's done thus far has been solid. And we really need Clarke to step up soon as he is the only player we have with good test match experience who isn't going to retire soon (wonderful how that's worked out :mellow:)
I just feel Clarke is a bit soft mentally compared to Ponting. From what i have seen, surely has most of the ingredients to be a captain but specifically to gaining the Ashes i think will be tough mentally and he will be in a lot of pressure compared to Ponting...in long run i don't see anyone other then Clarke taking over....

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I just feel Clarke is a bit soft mentally compared to Ponting. From what i have seen, surely has most of the ingredients to be a captain but specifically to gaining the Ashes i think will be tough mentally and he will be in a lot of pressure compared to Ponting...in long run i don't see anyone other then Clarke taking over....
When all the personal issues with his former partner went down earlier this year and he was under significant fire for leaving the tour of New Zealand, Clarke came back and hit a very good century against New Zealand.

Would say he's very mentally tough itbt. Maybe not as combative as Ponting, but no less mentally strong.

pasag

RTDAS
When all the personal issues with his former partner went down earlier this year and he was under significant fire for leaving the tour of New Zealand, Clarke came back and hit a very good century against New Zealand.

Would say he's very mentally tough itbt. Maybe not as combative as Ponting, but no less mentally strong.
Damn you.

Faisal1985

@ Pasag as well....

Did you see that NZ line up? Top three of their batsmen were averaging below 30....Clarke is a class player and that NZ side seemed quite weak...not taking away anything from Clarke's innings there...but don't you think there is a difference in this England side and that NZ side plus what you are playing for?

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member

Dunno, sure Ponting picked a fight with a giant Maori in the Cross, but has he ever taken on Katich in a headlock fight?

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
@ Pasag as well....

Did you see that NZ line up? Top three of their batsmen were averaging below 30....Clarke is a class player and that NZ side seemed quite weak...not taking away anything from Clarke's innings there...but don't you think there is a difference in this England side and that NZ side plus what you are playing for?
How does the Kiwi batsmen being **** affect the merit of Clarke's innings?

Faisal1985

How does the Kiwi batsmen being **** affect the merit of Clarke's innings?
I know that was a misdirected and sort of irrelevant to Clarke's innings, the main point was that was a weak NZ side....and <<<<<<<<< England....

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'd like North out of the team in favour of Hughes for India. I'd go:
Hughes
Katich
Watson
Clarke
Ponting
Hussey

I take Jack's point about Ponting being at three to avoid facing spinners when he first comes in, but based on what we've seen in their duels over the years, can there be any doubt that Harby will be brought on IMMEDIATELY when Ponting comes out to bat, no matter when that is - even if he opened?

Would love for Ponting to finally address his poor record in India in this series, but somehow doubt it will happen.
Nah, is going to happen, will ton up in both tests (y)

Can't really see there being any changes to the batting order unless we see Smith to 6, North out, and Johnson/Hauritz back as 8/9.

pasag

RTDAS
@ Pasag as well....

It's important to separate the facts from the fiction with Michael Clarke. A lot of the myth comes from his public image, his hairstyle, gf, tattoos.

The facts are however:

1. He's an excellent Test batsmen (irrelevant to this discussion)
2. He's a poor limited overs batsman these days (irrelevant to this discussion and might be getting better, fingers crossed)
3. In the face of perhaps the most difficult public situation ANY Australian cricketer has had to face he scored a beautiful, matchwinning century. Now this is relevant to the discussion. If that does not prove mental toughness I don't know what does.

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Ricky's pretty tough. Apart from when being run out by prick substitute fielders. And even then he was angry rather than put-off.

They can couch it in terms of making room for all of Hughes, Katich and Watson in the top three, given that's there best positions, and Ponting being the guy who's flexible enough to cope with the change.
He was just doing his job, man

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I knew you Aussies were competitive but I didn't realise that you considered running out a dozy batsman to be cheating :ph34r:

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Have a feeling Ponting will finally go some way to fixing the "hole" in his record in India. No real basis for it, but there you go.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Clarke maybe a better captain than Ponting? Just floating it out there. Did pretty well in the T20 WC.

Katich arguably better than both, but think that ship has probably sailed now.