• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What's going on?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Perhaps the most useful thing is that if someone is trolling, everyone else doesn't quote them. I found the ignore function was pretty useless when I tried it because those posts got quoted by someone else in the thread and then it annoyed me anyway.
I've asked before if the quotes of those one has on ignore could be hidden as well as the original posts, but I never received a response, other than one of the same informing me CW doesn't revolve around me.

Sometimes there's just not enough irony in the world to go around.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I was kinda referring exclusively to Cricketweb. When people at your work gloat about Tranmere you probably don't go off on a rant, get banned for three days then come back and put an angry letter in the suggestion box complaining about them trolling :ph34r:.

I think it is pretty different though, as you say I didn't rub it in here but in general life it's standard practice amongst football fans. The crux of the argument is whether something does or doesn't constitute trolling, and I'd say the emotional response is triggered by someone taking joy purely in your team's failure. And that doesn't really happen on CW with Tranmere, or even the England cricket team, but it does with their football team. I don't think the posts that you considered so provocative and idiotic were radically different to those that crop up in the footy thread pretty much every time United lose. I don't mean to say that your pretty little mind can't handle it, but provocative posting can be a lot more obvious when it's aimed at you. It still just all seemed like banter from where I was sitting.

I guess everything has to be taken in context though. It's not really reasonable for me to compare a comment from Pickup about United to a comment from Sir Alex about England- the whole dynamic just isn't quite the same.
As I said earlier, not where I come from it isn't. We all rip on each other all season long but there's kind of a line. When we lost in the play-offs on penalties I got no abusive txt from my blue****e brother-in-law but when we lost a league game to Brizzle ShCity I did. Same when his shower lost in the Cup Final, but I'm happy to when they lose to a Shrewsbury. And when my Dad's lot lost to Reading it's chortle time, but when they lose in a European Cup Final, meh, I'll leave it.

Everyone I know who follows footy round here goes by the same sort of thing, not that we don't enjoy it when those big defeats happen but there's no need to rub their faces in it at those points. Not in the immediate aftermath, anyhow.

Dunno, maybe it's different elsewhere but that's how I operate and how I see it...it's all about context.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Haha your friends sound a hell of lot better than the ****s I have to put up with, we rip each other to shreds if someone's grandma dies..

That was a joke btw.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Me and my best mates are brutal tbf but we all support the same team, you could call us a band of losers :ph34r:

cpr

International Coach
As I said earlier, not where I come from it isn't. We all rip on each other all season long but there's kind of a line. When we lost in the play-offs on penalties I got no abusive txt from my blue****e brother-in-law but when we lost a league game to Brizzle ShCity I did. Same when his shower lost in the Cup Final, but I'm happy to when they lose to a Shrewsbury. And when my Dad's lot lost to Reading it's chortle time, but when they lose in a European Cup Final, meh, I'll leave it.

Everyone I know who follows footy round here goes by the same sort of thing, not that we don't enjoy it when those big defeats happen but there's no need to rub their faces in it at those points. Not in the immediate aftermath, anyhow.

Dunno, maybe it's different elsewhere but that's how I operate and how I see it...it's all about context.
It would be the same around here except for 2 things

A) City dont have big games

B) It'd still be ****ing funny.

But yeah, brother in law is a scouse ****, there is a line. Imploding seasons are good, CL finals arn't.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Personally, I don't think that there really is a difference between whether we are talking about football, cricket or tiddlywinks. The cultures regarding victory and defeat really aren't that different across sports or nations.

If people are coming in and posting with the intention of getting a rise out of posters, then it's inappropriate. There is always going to be a bit more leeway for posters to get away with this in game/live threads, because of:

a) how quickly they move.
b) the fact that emotions are higher and more raw.

Not saying that they should, but that its the nature of the beast. And that chances are that by the time that the post has been reported or seen by a moderator, the thread has been well hi-jacked already.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Well I don't live in a city but....

But I'm sorry, I'll be sure to spout sectarian bull**** next time I talk football with a colleague

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Glasgow, lol. It can't be a coincidence that the two clubs with the scummiest fanbases in the world both come from the same city.

I'm thinking I might visit the place again in a week or two though. Craic.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Well I don't live in a city but....

But I'm sorry, I'll be sure to spout sectarian bull**** next time I talk football with a colleague
8-)

I'm talking about your "unwritten" rule. I gave it tight to Celtic supporting friends when Porto beat Celtic in the UEFA Cup final in 2003, and I got it tight at the heartbreaking conclusion of the 2007/08 season.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Glasgow, lol. It can't be a coincidence that the two clubs with the scummiest fanbases in the world both come from the same city.

I'm thinking I might visit the place again in a week or two though. Craic.
Can't help but feel that you being from Northern Ireland influences that opinion. Sadly, the scum elements from both sides seem to gravitate towards the Glasgow clubs.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
That's nice for you, however you put in a lovely snide, "obviously none of you live in cities with intense football rivalries". I live 15 minutes from Liverpool, work here and my Dad is from here. It is one of the most famous footballing rivalries in the world. So get down from your high horse.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Can't help but feel that you being from Northern Ireland influences that opinion. Sadly, the scum elements from both sides seem to gravitate towards the Glasgow clubs.
It's also that I live in Manchester and last time Rangers came to visit (for the UEFA cup final) they smashed the place up. A bunch of my friends got a beatdown from some Celtic fans too when they played United at Old Trafford last year. For being Asian, apparently. Not that it reflects on you, but I'm pretty sure there's more scum supporting those two clubs than any other in the UK.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
It's also that I live in Manchester and last time Rangers came to visit (for the UEFA cup final) they smashed the place up. A bunch of my friends got a beatdown from some Celtic fans too when they played United at Old Trafford last year. For being Asian, apparently. Not that it reflects on you, but I'm pretty sure there's more scum supporting those two clubs than any other in the UK.
Only because they have more fans than Cardiff & Swansea tbf

What a coincidence that all the hooligans reside in the colonies :ph34r:

Status
Not open for further replies.